iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

250 Gallon Barrell stove?

Started by Rio_Grande, August 25, 2011, 03:41:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rio_Grande

I have a 30x40x12 un insulated shop that needs a wood burner. We were going to put in a wood burning furnace like we have in the other shop but they have taken a nasty jump in price since I bought the last one. That got me to looking at the barrel stoves that are out there. I have never used one but here they are good fast heat. We have a over abundance of 250 gallon drums around here. they are about 5 foot long by 3 feet tall and about 2 foot wide. We call them oblong barels. I cut the sides out of them and use them for hoppers. they have a thicker steel wall than a barrell.

I was thinking about buying the basic barrell kit just to get the door and flange. seperate the barrell in two horizonatly so the exaust gases have to travel through the stove 2x then out the back/top like a normal stove. I would like to put a 10-12 inch diamiter pipe in the top and blow air through it as a heat exchanger.
Really just looking for a cheap solution that will serve the purpous. Any input on this would be appriciated. 

thecfarm

I've been to a Green House business and they had just put a door and damper on it,but your idea sounds better. They had to put metal on the sides due to the heat warping the sides. I would do this before it warps. Put like ΒΌ inch flat stock on edge on the sides of the barrels. I would put some grates in it too.Maybe put some furnace blocks on the sides too. I'm just thinking,but could you put another barrel on top so the smoke goes through there too. I've seen those 50 gallons double barrel stove.I would think that several smaller diameter pipe would give you more heat too.But I do know I use what ever I have just kicking around. Good luck. Picture when you are done?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WH_Conley

I would go with 2 or 3 smaller diameter pipes as heat exchangers.
Bill

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Rio_Grande

I am located in Se Indiana.

I was thinking the addition of the plate in the middle would stiffen the whole drum up. Not sure though.

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Rio_Grande

LOL I have been reading here for so long that I forgot I was a new guy. Thanks for the welcome.

Al_Smith

There's a local pallet compnay that heats their shops with basically the same set up .They have 3" angle welded on the sides of the rolled drum to lessen the warpage .About 5-6 years is what they get out of them but in essence the fuel is free .Scraps of oak from the pallet material .

saltydog

I think it should work fine. we heated a 40 by48 shop with 14 ft ceiling worked great .grates and old  metal fence post on outside and no warpage. i think we welded 3 down each side. hardwood slabwood or old rail tys were our wood.
Proud to be a self employed logger.just me my Treefarmer forwader Ford f600 truck 2186 Jonsereds 385 and 390 husky and several 372s a couple 2171s one 2156  one stihl 066  Hudson bandmill Farquhar 56"cat powered mill.and five kids one wife.

Thank You Sponsors!