iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

DIY Brush sander

Started by NateF350, September 10, 2019, 09:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NateF350

Hello, I'm Looking to make some distressed flooring for my house. I'd like to pony up for a supermaxx unit but it's not in the budget for a number of year. I've seen a couple homemade brush sanders but I can't find any details on what they use for brushes, motor speed or anything like that. Anyone make or using one? 

low_48

Depends on species of wood and how extreme you want to distress it. I doubt if a sanding brush head would do much on hardwood, probably have to go to a wire brush drum. http://www.quickwood.com/abrasives/steel-brushes/

NateF350

Yes most have nylon and steel brush heads. The homemade ones were using steel brushes but it was hard to tell what type they was. At $1000 a head for the supermaxx ones there has to be better diy options I'll check out the link you provided thank you

Brad_bb

A less expensive option would be the Makita wheel brush sander wouldn't it?  I have 2 of them.  I have cleaned a lot of barnwood.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Ruffgear

I have no input on the brush sander. If you have planer you could sharpen irregular spots in blade to give you hand scaped look. Just an idea

Ljohnsaw

I'd bet that @tule peak timber would have some ideas and maybe some pictures of shop-built tools.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

tule peak timber

I have to laugh....We just came up for a design on a rush job. I will post pics of the prototype tomorrow. Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Crusarius

hackberry jake

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

tule peak timber

Attached are pics of the prototype wire brush we developed last week for a rush job on the horizon.I can go into the thought process ( long litany ) but this works and allowed us to bid the job.Version 2.0 is next week with bearings and a power feeder. It is a wire brush and NOT how we typically distress.  Cheers Rob

Crusarius

Have any pictures of the end result?

tule peak timber

That will be next week when the bearings arrive. Previous pics were this morning.

NateF350

Quote from: tule peak timber on September 15, 2019, 12:19:10 PM
Attached are pics of the prototype wire brush we developed last week for a rush job on the horizon.I can go into the thought process ( long litany ) but this works and allowed us to bid the job.Version 2.0 is next week with bearings and a power feeder. It is a wire brush and NOT how we typically distress.  Cheers Rob

I thought about doing a setup just like this, the only thing I don't have is the wire brush. Care to share where you found that one? And I also would like to see the end results.    If this isn't how you typically distress, how do you distress? 

tule peak timber

Solo Horton is where I've been buying the 4 inch arbor mount wire wheels.
  The best wire wheel cup I've found is the 6 inch Makita that mounts to a big angle grinder. Really heavy but will raise the grain in oak - no problem.
  We distress with lots of different tools in stepped sequence, and always with at least 3 people to prevent pattern forming. Lastly I critique and add a little this and that- always looking to break patterns.Once the distress is done a great deal of enhancement can be achieved with subtle coloration ( adding dirt and oxidation ) where it should be accumulated over time.
  The level of distress is different for each customer and the size of his pocket book :)

Southside

So you are trying to distress the lumber or the customer?  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

btulloh

Those brushes are usually used to clean barn siding and such. You probably would be better off with some kind of flail for distressing. Just my two cents. 
HM126

NateF350

Thank you tule peak, I'm going to order some brushes and give it a try. Those makita brushes ain't to cheap ether wow lol

tule peak timber

Nate we have not set up the arbor brush 2.0 because we don't have a signed contract on that particular job. I will post if we get the go-ahead.  Rob

tmbrcruiser

Thank you the pictures TPT. I have a similar need for a different reason. I air dried some cypress outside before it went to the kiln, now the lumber has some sticker stain, surface stain from rain and darkening from the sun. My customer wants the cypress as ship lapped paneling with a rough face. I've used an angle grinder with a cupped wire wheel to clean the face but that is very slow. Your plan will speed things up, thank you again!
Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

tmbrcruiser

I just sent out an order of ship lapped cypress siding that the buyer wanted a rough finish on. I read the thread and built a similar setup. Made a few changes 5/8" thread all, put spacers between the wire wheels, two pillow bock bearings and angled the rods at about 45 degrees.
Also used two short pieces of 4"x4" screwed to a piece of plywood to mount pillow blocks on. Added the shop vac with the wide collector and pushed the boards in and out from the under side of the wire wheels. Thanks for the idea TPT.
Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

tule peak timber

Super.....We still don't have the contract . Bought all the parts to set up like
tmbrcruiser, just waiting........

tule peak timber

I might have the contract next week so we set this up today.

Southside

Do you have a photo of the finished wood? I have a customer who asked about distressed flooring today. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

samandothers

Quote from: tmbrcruiser on October 16, 2019, 04:20:17 AM
I just sent out an order of ship lapped cypress siding that the buyer wanted a rough finish on. I read the thread and built a similar setup. Made a few changes 5/8" thread all, put spacers between the wire wheels, two pillow bock bearings and angled the rods at about 45 degrees.
Also used two short pieces of 4"x4" screwed to a piece of plywood to mount pillow blocks on. Added the shop vac with the wide collector and pushed the boards in and out from the under side of the wire wheels. Thanks for the idea TPT.

@tmbrcruiser did you take any pictures of the finished product you could post?

Tule Peak, nice set up.

tule peak timber

Quote from: Southside on October 29, 2019, 09:48:51 PM
Do you have a photo of the finished wood? I have a customer who asked about distressed flooring today.
I will post some pics when we get rolling. This setup is for VERY light wire brushing which is what the customer wanted.

Thank You Sponsors!