iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

diesel lombard tractor

Started by loggah, November 01, 2014, 08:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loggah

Well i have had a second Lombard chassis hanging around for about 35 years and finally started to work on it !!!! ;D I have been thinking about powering it with a few of the original engines ,but decided i wanted to be able to run it and not worry about breaking down and not finding any engine parts.I decided to make a "Cleve West special"! ;D Lombard only made 1 diesel Lombard the last machine built in the late 1930's,it was powered with a big Fairbanks-Morse 6 cylinder diesel engine. Well in the late 1940's a Errol N.H. logging contractor Cleve West decided to make 1 of his gas Lombards over into a diesel, the only one to do this as far as i know. He took a TD-18 International engine and installed it into his tractor,it was quite successful,on a few jobs for Brown Co. in Berlin,and Hollingsworth and Whitney of Waterville maine he hauled between 10,000-12,000 cords of wood between 5 to 7 miles and landed them at lake .and riverside landings.The diesel being more economical,and having a higher RPM range then the old gas engines, cold move the tractor at a higher speed. West was the last known operator to use a Lombard tractor in the woods.
I salvaged an engine out of a TD-18A international crawler at the scrapyard  this fall and i been working on doing the conversion,heres a few pictures of my progress so far.

you cant work on this old iron without having an occasional beverage !!!! ;D ;D Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

samandothers

I will really enjoy this thread!  Please keep the pictures and details coming and thanks for sharing.

loggah

I'll probably  get the side panels  finished tomorrow,then i will make up the steering chains,need to go to Maine radiator for a core, and i want to get the deck done,thats as far as i probably get before snow ;D i got to go back to the scrapyard and shear a bunch this week,and muzzle loader season is here !!! so much to do so little time . ;D ;D Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

celliott

Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Dave Shepard

I can't wait to hear it run! I've really got the hankering for some more IH diesels. I might end up with that 16, but an 18 or a 24 would also be cool. With an IH, you can start it anytime, anywhere you want. I've crank started my UD-9, but haven't quite gotten the courage to try the 16 yet.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

loggah

Dave, If you ever watch ice road truckers, a guy i know is on there once in a while,Joey Barnes he goes by "THE KING OF OBSOLETE" he lives in Lynn lake, Manitoba and uses a bunch of the old international crawler tractor for sled train transport, he has a bunch from td 6 thru td 18 crawlers , and likes their starting system in the great white north!!! He has a bunch of lombard sleds that he uses as well as a linn log hauler. A while ago on craigslist there was a UD-24 engine for sale in vermont,i think its long gone now.We had a Link-belt 98 crane in the scrapyard for a while ,it had a ud 525 engine in it just a bit bigger and newer then your ud-16,some friends of mine bought it and are clamshelling their gravel pit with it. Im not real fond of the early International bulldozers ,they had the reputation of being a "CAST IRON" bulldozer,but their engines were pretty good !! ;D ;D Don

Magicman

No question in my mind, if a bear came along you would tackle it with your bare hands.  I admire your spunk.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dave Shepard

I see KoO posting on the IH forum. He's got a nice collection, and it's cool that he still uses them.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

loggah

Those and his "SCREAMIN" ford!! he loves that 318 Detroit in that thing!!

Dave Shepard

I ran a GMC General with a 318 and a 13 speed a few times. Did pretty well hauling corn. I'll stick to Cummins, thank you. :) I've actually been wondering how hard it would be to put a UD-16 in my Loadstar 1800.

Buddyw

Glad to see that I am not the only one here that enjoys old iron.
Nice job Loggah. Keep us in the loop on the progress.
I do like threads like this.  ;D

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Stephen1

I am getting in on this also. I would love to see it running.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

ozarkgem

Geez all it takes to do that is a propane torch and a bottle of brew! I am in!
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

loggah

I got the hood panels built yesterday,made them out of 1/8" plate,pre rusted!! ;D i had to put a bump in one to clear the international fuel filters,i still have to attach the handles to each panel,but the international engine fits pretty well. Heres a few pictures. Don

Al_Smith

It takes a special breed of cat to be a junk yard dawg .Not eveybody is up to the task .I like it myself . ;D

loggah

Al, i get all my best tools at the junkyard!!!people throw away good old american made stuff and buy new chinese crap !!!! ??? actually today i found a standard cutlery Bowie knife made in England around 1900, one on e-bay for $400 !!!! ;D

Al_Smith

I raid the scrap tubs at work .Industrial dumpster diving so to speak .I've gotten several chainsaws from other dumpster divers that needed very little repair .One is very fine running McCulloch model 700

Fact I've gotten 6 Stihl chainsaws from a dealers dead pile for very little cost and they all ran after a  little work .Then I can't help but scratch my head when they talk about spending 7-800 dollars for a dang chainsaw to cut firewood. ???

So I guess if you aren't a junk yard dawg you better have a lot of money --or good credit . ;)

sandhills

You should see my farm!  Pretty much make a living off other peoples throw away stuff, it can be aggravating at times but I always know where to find parts  ;D.

47sawdust

Loggah,
Do you ever do anything light!?
Wow,you are in the right business.
Mick
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

loggah

;D  Just light beer !! in my old age. ;D

ozarkgem

Quote from: loggah on November 03, 2014, 05:27:19 PM
Al, i get all my best tools at the junkyard!!!people throw away good old american made stuff and buy new chinese crap !!!! ??? actually today i found a standard cutlery Bowie knife made in England around 1900, one on e-bay for $400 !!!! ;D
Do your local scrap yard sell by the pound? Its 15 cents a pound here. That is where I am getting most of my metal for my mill build. If I had time I would see if I could build a mill totally from the scrap yard.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

loggah

It depends on what it is to sell,just steel pretty much by the lb.old equipment,engines ,stuff like that he just sets a price on.

loggah

Heres a few more pictures,i have the hood handles on, the steering chains on, fitting the td-18 fuel tank,and the newly cast platform chairs bolted on. I have a radiator core being built by Maine radiator in Auburn Maine,and today sawed out a big white oak to build the platform that the cab would bolt to. I am bolting down the platform green so it will dry in place.Heres a few more pictures.

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!