iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Our Future Home

Started by Kirk_Allen, February 26, 2004, 03:43:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirk_Allen

These are some photos of the homestead my Great Grandfather built in 1901.  We will be making our final move in May/June.  Cant Wait 8)

Mill work for local farmer who needed deck boards for his trailers.  The logs are Honey Locust

Corley5

8) 8) 8) Nice looking place.  How much property with it?
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Kirk_Allen

The Home and barns etc sit on a 3 acre parcel but they are surrounded with 190 acres of farm land.  

D._Frederick

Allen,

My cousin in North Dakota is living in a farm house that was built in the same time frame. They have put in new windows and insulated the walls, put they have to move in to the basement when it is -30 below and  a 30 mph wind. They can keep the up stairs from not freezing,but not warm enough to live in.

SwampDonkey

Nice place Kirk. And nice neet kept grounds too. Lotsa shade trees for summer and the hammock off the end of the porch. ;)

My place was my Great Grandfather's also. I think it was built around 1920, his first house was burnt down and was on the same lot but down hill from it. When my father's uncle took over the farm it went down hill a bit untill father bought the place and started fixin. Now, I'm contemplating installing a new foundation and windows. The original foundation is granite and mortar as are many of the houses in the community. They were built by the same carpentor and look about the same.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

etat

I like it, nice looking place.
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

slowzuki

With that quote I was expecting to see a coffin load up in the pics :D

Quote We will be making our final move in May/June.  Cant Wait 8)

Tom

I love porches and tall windows that open.  That will make a good home.  Plenty of room saw, play and shoot off your gun.  I'll bet there will be plenty of birds and rabbits with farmland all around. :)

Kirk_Allen

Currently we have an unlimited supply of rabbits and the coyotes to go with it.  

I have managed to pop a couple of coyotes from the front porch this fall.  

When I put the new roof on last summer we had three deer run through the front yard right between the dumpster and our truck.  The fawn that was with the two does still had spots. It was awsome to see.

Unfortunatly the birds have been hit pretty hard by the coyotes.  I have only seen one covey of quail this year and havent seen a feasant for over 5 years.

Lots of room to esxpand a milling and woodworking operation so we are looking forward to the move.  The Suburbs suck!  

Can I say that here? ;D

SwampDonkey

I've got 3 coyotes hanging 'round on my woodlot and they can eat all the snow shoe hares they can eat. Because if they don't, the hares end up eating my planted hardwoods and white spruce. The coyotes never seem to hurt the ruffed grouse around here; the goshawks give them a little scare once in awhile. Down to my father's he has pheasants and deer in the area quite often because the neighbors feed them. He's on the edge of a small town in a  housing development area, and there are lots of tall weeds on the undeveloped lots for the pheasants to eat, such as burdock. In March I notice the grouse pairing up and the foxes are in heat now. I have a couple foxes that roam in my neighborhood. Momma fox had a den in my back yard 2 years ago in April and I spotted her transporting them to the woods while I was burning brush behind the house. My house lot has 4.3 acres with planted trees around it and  close to 500 acres of fields around me including the neighbor's. Surprising how far away from the woods those animals venture. I sometimes get moose or deer at night out the back yard during summer and fall. I don't often see them, but they leave tracks and browsing evidence. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

redpowerd

ive got 3 border collies runnin around my lot, they eat all the wildlife they want. they keep the coydogs away at night, too. they dont seem to hurt the spruce or ruffed grouse, or ringnecks. cant shoot spruce grouse around here, protected.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

DanG

Great looking place, Kirk! I just love them old houses.   The fact that it's been in the family that long will mean a lot, too. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Bud Man

"Great Looking Homesite "  Who's says you can't go home again !  For 103 years of age it's looking mighty spiffy I suspect it'll stay that way,  Congratulations !
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

EZ

I just love them old houses also. A friend of mine bought one about 10 yrs ago and hired me to redo the inside. Took all winter but it was worth it. Gutted the whole inside, new wiring, pluming, insulation, drywall. Ceilings were 11 ft high and he wanted them left that high. It was alot of work but he was well pleased.
Congrats on your new home.
EZ

breederman

Nice place,I love porches! where are the hills? :D
Together we got this !

Kirk_Allen

We feel blessed to be able to have the place.  10 years ago while visiting with my Grandfather he gave my wife and I the grand tour to include the verbal history of the place.  I now wish I had video taped that visit.  

At the end of the tour he stopped and put his hands in the air and said: "I pray that this farm will stay in the family forever." It has been my dream to make that happen and this year we made sure of it.  

We have lots of upgrade work to do but it will be a labor of love.  The upstairs has one bedroom that is finished and the rest is open attic space.  We plan on finishing the entire upstairs to include its own kitchen and bathroom facilities.  The roof is new.  I put it on last summer.  I think that was the last roofing job I will ever do.  It was 3300 squares of shingles and we hand carried every pack up a ladder to the roof.  No one within 75 miles had a shingle conveyor we could rent so we did it the old fashion way. (NEVER AGAIN)

The main floor has 12' ceilings with oak crown molding and the original oak floor.  We plan on taking our time and doing one room at a time and doing it right!  With the supply of wood I now have I think we can make the place pretty comfortable to live in.

Kirk_Allen

Blessed again!

The Line Foreman for the power company stopped by on his way home tonight.  I had left messages for him regarding old telephone poles.

We had a great visit and looks like we will be doing a lot of business in the future.  He has a yard full of about 40 poles and said I could have all I can haul.  If there are poles in the yard there free for the taking.  

Also told me that they have a hedge row they have to clear for a new line. A mile of Osage Orange trees of which most are 24" or better.  All for the taking!  He said bring a trailer and there yours if you haul them off.  Logs not tops! 8) 8)

Last but not least. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

3-Phase power is available to the corner pole on my road.  Turns out the corner pole sits on the corner of our property.  He said they could run a line to my future shop for the cost of the line and the pole! 8) 8) 8) 8)

I asked him if I could bury the line instead of above ground and he said no problem since its a short run where I plan on building my shop.  

God is Great 8)

DanG

Sound's like things are coming together for you, Kirk. Glad to see you getting out of the 'burbs.  Life's a lot better out here in the boonies! ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

sawguy21

Good job, Kirk! My grandparents' home has been in the family for almost 100 years and it means a lot. Great memories
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

UNCLEBUCK

A beautiful place you have got there ! I can see unlimited possibilities sitting on the porch and tuning into the prairie home companion radio show on a saturday night ! very nice ! thanks for showin it !
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

rebocardo

> homestead my Great Grandfather built in 1901

What a beautiful blessing  :)  Looks like a great place, even has a nice garage.

iain

Man you've dropped on there, that place looks good enough to lick, but you do need some slopey bits  :) 8)

iain

AtLast

OneWithWood

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!