iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Made In America

Started by Erick, November 24, 2004, 04:26:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erick

I thought in light of the response to the layz boy and the outsourcing threads I would give us all a place to post the names of those companys we find that still make products here in the good ole USA. That way we can all try to support those companys with our business. Thanks

I have a link to a website thet lists american made products but cant find it right now I will post it as soon as I find it.
It's better to have it and not need it. Then to need it and not have it.

Jeff

That may all be fine and dandy Erick, but please remember, The Forestry Forum is not just a USA Forum. We have members from around the world. One of our fine sponsors builds its mills in N.Z. another in Canada. We have members on every continent, yes even for a period on Antartica when one of our members was on assignment there.

Its a great thing for us to be patriotic and do whats good for our country, but our friends that live around the world certainly feel the same way.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Woodcarver

Among the companies manufacturing autos in the U.S., Toyoto and Daimler-Chrysler.  The deal between Daimler and the Chrysler Corp was billed as a merger, but in reality it was a takeover and Chrysler is now a German company.

Among the companies manufaturing paper in the U.S. (one that I am about to sell pulp to) Stor Enso, a Finnish company.

One of my sons is a senior software engineer with a U.S. company domiciled in Wisconsin that writes software products for large mass mailers.  He spent more than a year working on a project for the postal system in the U.K.  He currently is working on a software project for the postal system in Norway.

It's certainly no comfort to those who lose jobs when companies move manufacturing overseas, but I've seen statistics that indicate we gain more jobs from outsourcing than we lose.

Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

Erick

Hey Jeff,

Sorry dont want to make it sound like its all USA I know there are alot of people on this forum that are from other places. I would hope that those fine folks would also support their local economy as well. Like I said on another thread I am not trying to get people to boycot all things not made in the US, all of my saws are from a German company and the computer I'm writing this on was not made in america. There are some things you just cant buy "made in USA".  I would not ask anyone to buy an inferior product just because it was made in the US. I was just thinking of the stuff like socks and dishes and the like. I dont expect swed to run right out and try to buy an american made toothbrush, although he might find one before I could. Maybe I should have titled it support your local economy. Anyway didnt want to offend anyone here just trying to give us folks here in the US a way to support the local economy. I hope those members in other countrys do the same.

As for our sponsors and the great products they make, well theres a saying "the cream always rises to the top", theres a reason these companys are on top they are the best at what thay do.
It's better to have it and not need it. Then to need it and not have it.

Scott

I buy Canadian goods when I can but when I can't my second choice is usually to support my neighbors to the south. I don't really mind buying from any country so long as they have respectable labour regualtions and treat thier workers fairly.

customsawyer

Speaking on dodge my last 3 Dodge trucks were made in mexico you have to read the fine print. Last I was told dodge dosen't make a 2500 or 3500 pickup in the USA any more. If you look at the tag inside of your drivers door it will say where it was made.
I buy American when I can but mostly look for quality. Like my wife she was made in Canada. :D Had to find one with a little brain freeze to be able to put up with me. :D :D :D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Ed_K

I heard somewhere, that to be made in america, all thats needed is to add the sticker that says Made In America  :-/.
Ed K

EZ

Very well said, Jeff, you are number one in my book. ;)
EZ

Faron

Prosperity is more likely aroung my place if the Asian and European countries are happily buying up my grain and beef.   If I want them to buy, then I gotta consider their products at least part of the time.  That said, I still like the Made In America on my Woodmizer, Woodmaster planer, and Delta shaper, if for no other reason than I don't have to break out the metric tools to adjust them!   ;)
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Swede

I think we need to sell and buy all over the world, but......
Many people in Sweden don´t like that Saab is a part of GM. "It´s not a swedish company any more". At the same time they don´t like swedish companies going the other direction for business! ::) I use to ask them if BOTH these cases is bad for Sweden and many says YES!  :o but it´s impossible to get an explanetion.

There is a company making doors outside Helsingborg (Sweden) from where you can see over to HelsingØr (Denmark) You can also take the boat (20 min.) to the Danish side and buy a Swedoor for 70-75% of the price on the Swedish side, where it´s made. There is tax money involved >:(
Was told some days ago the cost for taking a container from Taiwan via Gothenburg to Kalmar costs less than taking a container from Gothenburg to Kalmar! Don´t know if it´s thrue but if.....tax money again? Swedish or Taiwaneese, Wrong or wrong.

Sending my products to customers I pay 0-50%  more to a lokal haulage contractor and send without box or pallet wich my customer don´t have to pay for. The products goes direct from my door to the customers door and never get lost or damaged. This is also an environment argument I use selling what I make in my workshop. When I have to make a small parcel I always take a used box and don´t have to get payed for it.

I think most products should be produced where they are going to be used,  for economical balance, for the jobs and for the environment.

Swede. *looking for an EU-ropean 4-WD car I can pay for* :D

Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

Furby

At work we went through a transition where all our "made in the USA" units, were changed to read "assembled in the USA from out sourced parts.
The units assembled in Mexico were labled as "made in Mexico", Canada: "made in Canada" and so on.

WeeksvilleWoodWorx

We must also remember the economy is becoming global. Countries that were Third World during our industrial revolution of the 1900s  are now going through their industrialization period. We in the US and other countries are becoming more high tech.

It's the chicken and the egg.... Are we more high tech now because the manufacturing jobs are going to other countries. Or, are the manufacturing jobs going to other countries because we are more high tech?

While painful for the industrial areas of OH, PENN and Western NY and the Textile industry in the SE, US companies can not compete because of our higher standard of living.

One other thought.....

Tax reform. Do you realize the US is the only country that taxes profits on it's own companies doing business outside the US? Example: Ford builds cars in Brazil for sale in Brazil with Brazilian labor, then pays Uncle Sam AND the Brazilian Government for the privelige! How does that make their costs/prices compare to a Japanese company doing the same, but only paying Brazilian taxes? And the politicians wonder why Corporations are moving their headquarters to Bermuda ;D

We must train ourselves to think globally! Best quality at the best price, all that equal buy LOCAL 8)
Brian - 2004 LT40HDG28 owner.

Cedarman

Just talked to a gentleman in Canada that needed a bunch of ERC. Not much grows in Canada.  I never really looked at sending to Canada as exporting, but it is.  Manufacturers lay awake at night thinking of ways to eliminate the labor cost of  making things in the US.  I would love to push a button and my mill would saw all day, stack the wood and put it on the truck for delivery.  That is the driving force for efficiency.

A different look at buying local.  How many times do you buy at a chain store rather than your local mom and pops? When we do buy from the chain, we are exporting our dollars to some other community. Do we dine at the local cafe or do we eat at McD's?  Do we buy our tape measures at Wallyworld or local hardware store.?

Our wallet talks.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Bruce_A

I love cheap and it doesn't matter where it was made.  As long as it fills my needs.  "Made in America"  is american advertising and has very little to do with the quality of an item.  That comes strictly from the integrity of the manufacturing party.  In our area wal-mart has a super store and for all the people who think they destroy an area, you should try living where work is limited.   When they come in and make a claim  about the number of people they will put to work, I pay attention now.  There are more than 200 people working full time who didn't have jobs before.  They may be low paying, but they are better than the nothing they had before.  After 10 years in the community I can only see about 6 business places that may have gone out of business because of walmart.  And they only had jobs for about 20 people who were still making minium wage at that.  American  smarts and hustle are what bring in the imports that are created by american technology.  For which we don't have the labor force to build in our own country, so we end up hiring someone somewhere else to do it for us. You might find it as hard to hire someone to do manual labor today as I do.  Thank the lord that I don't get paid what I am worth Yet.

etat

Bruce A, just so you know, I fully agree with your statements.  
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

CHARLIE

I learned the hard way not to buy cheap because the product usually doesn't do the job well and doesn't last as long, which means that in the long run you spend more money. When looking for a tool, I look for the best quality tool I can afford and do a lot of checking before purchasing. I try to buy from U.S. companies but will buy other country's products if their quality is good and are in my price range. I'm not happy with Chinese products though and will avoid them if I can. The point I tried to make earlier was that manufacturers have pretty much conditioned the American public to expect less quality. There is a lot of junk products being sold that don't do a good job at what they are supposed to do, don't last long and aren't worth fixing when they break. I am tired of all the junk products on the market and sometimes it's hard to find quality. And it's not all foreign made products that are poor quality. Some are made by American companies just to get a higher profit.      
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Ron Wenrich

We used to buy cheap chain at the mill.  Most of it was made in Japan.  I had connector links that fell apart in my hand, but they were cheap.  Chain never lasted that long, but the US chain was more expensive.

It took some convincing of management, but we converted to US chain.  It was twice as expensive, but lasted 3 times longer.  So, in the long run, the US chain is cheaper.  We won't do business with companies that don't sell US chain.

We also went through the same problem with bearings.  Cheap doesn't always mean inexpensive.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Cedarman

In many cases the big box stores tell the manufacturer what price they will buy at. It is up to the manufacturer to meet that price.  They either have to be more efficient or cut material costs. If they cut material costs, then you probably get an inferior item.  I simply will not buy some things at Wal-mart because they will not last.

Ron, you are absolutely right. We have an expensive resaw, but we have over 18,000 hours on it and it is as reliable now as the day we bought it.  But then again, just because the price is high does not mean the quality is high.  Buyers have to be sharp and get good guarantees.  

We are a throwaway society.  Use it once and get tired of it or it breaks. We bought it cheap so who cares.

I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Quartlow

QuoteI heard somewhere, that to be made in america, all thats needed is to add the sticker that says Made In America  :-/.

Actually not quite true, My nephew hauls coils of steel into a palce off of the barges. the steel is made in japan, The plant here galvanizes it and stamps it made in the USA. It only has to pass through one manufacturing procces to be stamped made in usa

Larry
I don't agree with your opinion on wal mart. Sure you got 200 jobs but 6 companies went out of business. At walmart when you have a problem all you get is bunch of robots that really don't care if you get service or not. At your local comapay if you have a problem you can usually confront the owner with it. Now before any one jumps me I realize there are some good emplyees at walmart. But the overall fact is the majority are there for a job and nothing more.

WalMart dictates the suplier pricing. The tell them this is what we will pay and thats that. you can sell to us or go away. The ironic part is there are things I can buy at the local hardware cheaper than I can at wally world.

My first choice is always a local business. If they don't have it or can't get it Then the box stores are the next choice. I've been known to drive 60 miles to hartville hardware to get something That a box store carries just to kepp from spending my money there.
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Corley5

I like Made in the USA stuff but if it's good and the price is right I'll buy anything.  I really like Milwaukee power tools but Makita is pretty hard to beat.  I see some Makita tools are now made in China ::).  I tend to stay away from the ultra cheap stuff like the $12.99 angle grinders from Harbor Freight.  They're not worth it and neither are the cheap grinding wheels.  I don't necessarily like what Wal-Mart has done to our local communities but we've definetly benefitted from their lower prices.  We no longer buy groceries from the local supermarkets.  Initially we did but the price differences were just too great.  One example I often sight is Breyer's yogurt.  At the local store it's $.87 at the Wal-Mart Supercenter it's $.50 :o ::).  We just can't justify paying that much more just support our local stores.  The price difference along with the convenience of one stop shopping make Wal-Mart our #1 shopping place for clothes, food, and householditems.  The same holds true for our local lumber yards vs. Home Depot and Lowes.  It's just not feasible in this day and age to buy from them when the prices are so much lower at the big stores.  I used to feel a bit guilty about it but not anymore.  My wallet is my guide ;D  
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Gilman

WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

rebocardo

>  I think most products should be produced where they are
>  going to be used,  for economical balance, for the jobs
> and for the environment.

Finally something I can totally agree on :-D  

Unfortunately it will never happen.

Because many countries have populations that could not survive by living off its natural resources. Examples, Japan could never produce enough of its own food or oil (the real start of WWII) for its current population and its best natural resource are the people. They also import huge amounts of paper even with their local and national recycling programs.

South Africa's most lucrative natural resource is diamonds and they would not be building too many wood frame houses with its limited wood supply.

Many OPEC countries have nothing other then oil to offer. Many OPEC and oil producing countries (Iraq, Iran, Saudi, etc.) have large populations outside the oil revenue stream that live a sparse life without many material benefits because they have no farm land or wooded areas for basic substance living.

Probably the only balance to be achieved would be to import natural resources and produce local products from that.

South Korea has been very good at producing everything used in a car that is exported including the ship it is exported on.

I would be very happy if every country only allowed new vehicles that were produced in their own country, then again to build a new car to the expections of today's consumer requires more investment then most smaller countries could bear.

Many American and Japanese companies have larger operating budgets then most countries.

It would be very hard for a smaller country to have a car company that only had a market for 100,000 new cars a year to spend $3,000,000,000 just for research and development for a new car model.

I bought a pair of boots made by Bates because I thought they were going to be made in America (the ad did not say imported) and they turn out to be made in China. Worse yet, they have turned out to be one of the nicest and best fitting boots I have ever owned  :-/  

SwampDonkey

I can't buy a pair of Prospectors, Far West, Caterpillar or Kodiak made in Canada any longer. They are all made in China now. The excuse at the stores was that the china shoes had high terriffs because of cheaper competition to canadian shoe makers. Now they are all China made and the price didn't come down. :( $250 for  shoe made for $20 in China? No way, I go to my neighbors in Maine and buy a nice pair of Red Wings, made in USA for $189 USD. ;) If I buy electronics in Maine, I look for USA on the lable.

Most electronics except computers are cheaper in the US than Canada. Computers are cheaper in Canada, when you factor in exchange rates. Software is higher in Canada though, except Microsoft products and office products. Most PDA hardware companies in the US won't let us order them from Canada. No warrantee I guess, outside USA. There is about $500-$1000 difference in the expensive ruggedized units and submeter GPS PDA's. ESRI's GIS software is $500 cheaper in the USA too, we have to pay the inflated Canadian price which doesn't reflect the USD exchange rate. We have ESRI in Canada, but have never been satisfied with their support. SO, I bought Maptitude GIS from CAliper Corp in Mass, which was a fraction of the price with alot more functions included. :)

I sometimes have to go to Maine Potato Growers (hardware) for a certain type of bolt that I can't even get in Canada, unless its special ordered. :( But, home hardware in Woodstock can get me a hand tool within a week if they carry it at the warehouse in Moncton. I can remember some old general stores out in the country years ago that had more stock and variety than stores do now.

cheers
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ianab

In NZ most every manufactured product is imported, and most of our produce is exported. This gives us a different outlook on the whole free trade idea. We have to import cars, machinery, chainsaws etc. To pay for that we must export our dairy products, beef, lamb and timber.etc
As Rebocardo pointed out it's not practical to manufacture cars or tractors etc here. There just isn't the population to support it.
It does make life difficult when our products get slammed with import duty or quota when sold into the US. Now if you wanted to trade it for some new Jeeps or a couple of Boeing airliners... everyone wins.
Trading butter to Russia and gettting Lada's in return just wasn't worth the effort  :D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WH_Conley

I'm not real bright on international business, but what the heck I figure someone will educate me.
On a presidential issue a few years ago, when Ross the Boss ran, he said one thing that made sense to me. Recipitory tarriff, don't NAFTA. If a country wants to put on a 100% tarriff, put the same thing on their stuff. Don't know how that would go over, but it sure sounds good an ole dumb boy from the sticks.
Bill

Thank You Sponsors!