iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Deere 440a clutch replacement

Started by thenorthman, May 21, 2016, 07:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenorthman

Well, I've babied here for 3 years now... but its time.

here's the deal, she's on the job site on flat enough ground, I know that the motor needs to come out to pull this off, But I'm not too clear on how.

My plan is to pull radiator and nose guard, remove hydro pump, drop belly pans (need to get in and fix a cylinder anyway) and of course remove all hoses/wires that lead to motor and maybe even get them all on first try.

What really has me stumped is how dos the bell housing bolt to the motor? all I can find is one bolt just behind the starter, while its massive I'm pretty sure there are more then just one. And I assume there are some on the bottom I can't see because of the belly pan, but can't see nothin on top or right side.

Also while I'm at it, whats the trick to getting the pto drive stabbed back in? I've heard of that being a problem on reassembly.

And lastly do you suppose a standard el cheapo engine lift has the grunt and lift to pull this off, or should I get the hoe up there and use it?
well that didn't work

snowstorm

rad and pump can stay. no need to remove them. remove the nose with that on the ground the motor will sit in on it as a engine stand. the pto  the trans input shaft is inside the pto it drives off the pressure plate. thats why you have live power to the pto. the clutch housing is bolted to the block no need to remove it. you may want to put a rear main seal in. you will never be closer. along with throw out bearing and maybe a piolt bearing. you will need the clutch plate alignment tool. the other 3 bolts are there you will find them

thenorthman

well lucky me i got er apart today, had to call in a self loader but shes apart

guess what...

thie disk is fine, pressure plate was never adjusted properly.

of course now its ruined and the fly wheel neefs dressed, but the disk looks good
well that didn't work

thenorthman

well that didn't work

snowstorm

way back deere got the bright idea of putting spacers between the pressure plate and flywheel. without the spacers it didnt work. did yours have the spacers?

thenorthman

No spacers.

But there are adjustment nuts on each "finger?" of the pressure plate. that are turned nearly all the way out.

The gap between where the pressure plate attaches to the fly wheel is just about the thickness of the new clutch disk, and slightly larger then the old one.

The fact that the clutch pedal would only engage at the absolute top of travel has always worried me.

I figure I could slap in the new disk (the correct one this time) and it would probably run as is, but since they used a slightly smaller one last time there are grooves in the fly wheel and plate so the new disk would only be hitting on about .5 inches of metal. So whatever happens surfacing the fly wheel is necessary, so getting a new pressure plate is next on the list, just gotta find one.
well that didn't work

thenorthman

While where at it, anyone got a manual for these things, need torque specs for the fly wheel, and adjustment numbers for the pressure plate.

My usual good enough  isn't going to fly here. (which is misleading since my usual good enough is fix it right the first time and never have to fix it again... just wait until it detonates to worry about fixing it right the first time... cause you know it'll hold until payday right?)
well that didn't work

grassfed

Flywheel to crank bolts are 85ft lbs  The clutch pressure plate adjustment calls for special tool Clutch Release Gauge: JD264 for ser #(     -21830), JD227 ser# (21831-25707) and JD264 (again) ser# (25708-        )

The adjusted Height  for the release levers is
ser #(     -21830)=2.031 to 2.093 in,

ser# (21831-25707)=1.981 to 2.043 in

ser# (25708-        )=2.031 to 2.093 in

I don't know how you set it without the special tool and I have not seen the tool so maybe someone else can help

Mike

grassfed

I found a picture of the Clutch Release Gauge: JD264 so I suppose it is just the distance from the flywheel to the finger.You could probobly make one if you are carefull.

Mike

thenorthman

Sweet thanks.

Should be able to use a scale and get it withing .06 I'm pretty sure its a good .5 from there as is.
well that didn't work

snowstorm

you shouldnt have to adjust the fingers on a new pressure plate. my tech manual printed in the 80's shows the spacers between the flywheel and pressure plate. i recall putting a clutch in about the time deere changed this. put it all together and the clutch would not release. back to the dealer to find out the pressure plate had been changed and you had to use the spacers 

thenorthman

I'm thinkin I'll have to reuse the old one, so I'm going to have to adjust it. and figure out how to redress it.

From dinking around with it yesterday, there are three bolts that adjust the finger height, but the lock nuts that go with them bring the plate back to where its not doing anything. So I'm going to see if I can get some smaller washers in there to act as spacers. There is a large washer over a big square hole that essentially holds the plate to the rest of the frame. The fingers lever off the top of the bolt and just let the plate run slack away from the disk, the disk basically floats on these three bolts... surprisingly small bolts at that.
well that didn't work

snowstorm

its your skidder but i would not reuse the pressure plate. and i wounder why the spacers were not between the pressure plate and the flywheel unless someone left them out. that would explain why it didnt work as it should. or deere changed again or its aftermarket. its not unusual for a jd clutch to last 10 to 15 years or more

Oliver05262

Possibly you can get a repaired/reman pressure plate from HyCapacity in Humbolt Iowa.www.hy-capacity.com. They specialize in parts for  Ag equipment, but there is some overlap. Most farm equipment dealers are set up to deal with them, or you could call direct 1.844.247.2162
  Their web page does show three options available for 440A  11" , 12" w/hub, and 12" w/o hub.
http://www.hy-capacity.com/index.php?page=Agricultural&MFG=94&TYP=88&MOD=2796&GRP=14&SG1=39&SG2=1&SG3=1
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

thenorthman

Got a new one coming from local Deere stealership, wasn't too terribly bad. The disk arrived next day before I got home so we'll see about the plate.

Still waiting on flywheel. its machined but needs a new pilot bearing...
well that didn't work

thenorthman

Well... surfaced the flywheel, new disk, but the new plate magically turned into another disk in the mail...

So the old plate is going back in, adjusted it best I could, which is about 3/8 from where it used to be, before the pedal would engage right at the top of travel, I'm hoping its somewhere a little farther down now.

Anyway installing the old plate there was about a 1/4" gap between fly wheel and mounting locations before tightening down bolts, being how the new disk is about 5/16-3/8 I'll call that good, They took a lot off the fly wheel to make it flat again.

With a little luck it will all work out, got a self loader coming out tomorrow to help with moving the engine around poor little hoist just isn't long enough. With a little more luck she'll be back together before O-dark-thirty and I can be logging again Sunday. At least mostly together, will still need to reweld exhaust and exhaust mounts (they've been broke for awhile, and the pipe wasn't coming loose from the manifold, so I cut it), I can live with obnoxious for a day or two. Besides I've already got a truck load of extra tools on the landing, last thing I need is to drag the welder out to, take me 15 trips just to put everything away as it is.
well that didn't work

snowstorm

did you put the spacers in?? they go between the pressure plate and the flywheel. that was a change deere made in the 80's

thenorthman

This ones from the early 70's, no spacers to put it.

I'm overly confident that with the fingers being properly adjust this time, it will work a lot better.

I think and I'm fairly sure that the clutch was basically half engaged most of the time I ran it, should be a least a little throw on the pedal before engagement, and there never seemed to be any at all.  But never having driven a Deere in the past I assumed it was normal and kept on dragging massive logs.
well that didn't work

snowstorm

if that clutch was replaced sometime in the late 70;s or later they used spacers. when you say half engaged before it sounds like one i put in in the 80's ended up pulling the motor again to put them in. all because the parts guy didnt know about them. good luck

RHP Logging

How does your throw bearing and pusher look?  I had to build up where the two contact to get more distance.  They were that worn.  Even after a new flywheel, disc, press plate.
Buckin in the woods

thenorthman

Throw out bearing looked good, as new or better the the rest.

Well, I got er back together today... and now she won't disengage far enough to shift, in fact it still wants to drag a little bit, adjusted pedal to max and then some, no difference.

So basically I screwed up on the plate adjustment, and have to yard the motor again, start over... Yay... This time I should be able to just drag the motor forward and leave nearly everything connected though should be enough room to tweak the adjuster screws. On the bright side most of the oil and grease is already on me so I should stay a little cleaner this time.

Sometimes I hate my life...

While testing I managed to run over my very favorite water cooler, since the brakes weren't stopping nothing, and stabbing a screw driver into a key hole while being slammed around in the cab is sooo easy and stuff.
well that didn't work

Grandpa

May I suggest you go back and reread snowstorms posts.

Sounds like you have brake issues too, they should kill the engine at idle.

RHP Logging

Sounds like you may need the spacers.  You get everything adjusted out so far and then what when the disc starts to wear?  If the throw is too far over center the pusher can fall behind and under it.  At least on my machine anyway. I learned the hard way.
Buckin in the woods

treeslayer2003

Matt i never done a deere skidder but i did help do a 3020. the plate we had set up by the dealer.......it still don't make sense to me why they made it so complicated.

bill m

I don't you screwed up on the plate adjustment, I think you need the spacers.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Thank You Sponsors!