iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Part Time Logger

Started by mf40diesel, May 12, 2010, 03:29:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mf40diesel

New to the forum here, first post even. Wonderful site.  I have a dream that i am finally close to possibly living, and looking for peoples opinions/experiance to tell me if it is really feasible.  I go to sea for a living in the Merchant Marine, working 28 / 28, and am going to continue doing that, however i have even since a small boy loved skidders. Truly and deeply loved them  I have harassed (stopped by all the landings to watch) most all of the loggers working in the central western Maine region where I live, and now I am in my thirties. 

I would love to in a couple years (when my kids are in full time school) to buy an old skidder, around ~1980, and work it when I am home a few days a week. Don't take it the wrong way, I want to make a little money, but mostly I don't want it to cost me anything, just really want to skidder to buy itself. 

In everyone's opinion, is it possible to pull something like that off.  Would a forester work with someone on my schedule?  Or would I have to buy land of my own to log. Not afraid to do that, however that would certainly add to the stress of making even more payments. But would slowly amass land, which I also want. Sorry for the long first post.
John Deere 5055e, mfwd. Farmi JL306 Winch. Timberjack 225 Skidder. Splitfire splitter & Stihl saws.

treefarmer87

welcome to the forum, it is possible to pull it off, what is your price range? what kind of skidder are you looking for?. i just got mine and it is practially brand new i paid $ 5000 for mine $1200 for my truck and $2500 for my knuckleboom.
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Maine372

most timber sales around your (and my) area are specified to be in a certain time period. you arent likely to get the person thats selling wood cause they need cash now. but so long as your upfront with the schedule you should be fine. your harvest notification number is good for two years i believe.

dsgsr

mf40diesel, IMHO This isn't a good time too get into the logging bizz. because of low prices for the product and the large volume of competition. There are many struggling loggers out there because of this poor market. If you can purchase the skidder and make a little $$ here and there and be able too cover your cost until that $$ comes in or the market gets better than go for it. I share your feelings about logging, I love it. Even on the small scale I produce with a Tractor (not a skidder).  Buying the land and cutting would be the most cost effective if you have the bank roll, because they're not making land anymore. I hope I haven't discouraged you, just informed you.

David
Northlander band mill
Kubota M59 TLB
Takeuchi TB175 Excavator
'08 Ford 550 dump
'87 International Dump
2015 Miller 325 Trailblazer Welder/Gen

Ron Scott

There are a number of "part time skidders" here due to the slow markets. If you are in a part of the country where logging is active and you become knownby the foresters and producers, and are known for doing good work and what your schedule is, you should be able to find part time work for your skidder.

Most of the time though, the part time work becomes full time work. You might want to find a good back up operator that you would trust with your skidder and let them operate it during those times that you are at sea on your regular job.

I'm a forester and I like ships, especially submarines.  :D
~Ron

mf40diesel

I like ships too, heck I've been at it a while and now sail as Captain.  However really it is about diesels for me, and I'd have a diesel shaver if they made one!

Skidders really make my heart pump though.  And truly Timberjacks, and to a lesser extent Tree Farmers.  I might have the possibility of a great deal on a Clark 666, but they are not real popular here in Maine don't know too much about them.
John Deere 5055e, mfwd. Farmi JL306 Winch. Timberjack 225 Skidder. Splitfire splitter & Stihl saws.

Bobus2003

Clark Triple 6's are good skidders.. First skidder I ever ran was a 666, thats what i learned on, then went too a 518 CAT Swing Boom, too my Current JD440.. Workin in the woods is a blast, the worst thing is with the markets lately its feast or famine.. I'm finding that i'm squeeking by on less and less cause the equipments not working much..

thecfarm

Hard to make money with old equipment. I did not say impossible just hard,meaning you have to work at it. Repairs parts are EXPENSIVE. There are some that do it in my area,but they don't do it with a 1970 skidder.Some lots will be good,some lots will be real bad. Hard to give the land owner what they want for money with a one man show. Meaning the money comes in slow.Most want $3-4000 check per week not 500.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

captain_crunch

The way things look here in Ore ( think we use to be Timber cap of world years back) I would stay at sea and save me pennys Know of way to many skidders parked with No work in future
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Thank You Sponsors!