iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

just a little shed

Started by JD350Cmark, August 05, 2007, 07:39:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD350Cmark

Well...

I'm sure there are others in the same boat as me here, it seems that I don't have enough time to read all the info on here, let alone post any replies with my great typing skills.  aka 10 words per minute.  Anyway I thought I better share a little with you all..

After many attempts to put up photos here, I might actually have it down!  Since I have been a mill owner it seems I have mostly been cutting for other people.  But now I finally found time for ME.  I decided to cut a little lumber to build a shed to house some 4-wheelers at my hunting ranch that is 2 hours away from my home and mill.  I built a lot of the walls etc. and sorta put it together near the mill at my house and then would take it apart wall by wall and transport it on a trailer or flatbed.  Here is one of the first photos taken.

lets just see if this works before I continue with my story..
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25

Dave Shepard

Working good so far, carry-on! :)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

JD350Cmark

I may be getting this now...

While cutting a guy has a lot of time to think and I started thinking while walking back and forth milling, 'why not make this thing 2 stories?'  So here is what it looked like after a little thinking.

Mike_Barcaskey

looking good
what is the green on the bottom on the wall studs?
and be sure to include some over head storage. you know, for something important like.............lumber
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

JD350Cmark

and some more thinking...  Second story needs stairs I supose and may as well have a deck, right??

John_Haylow

Nice job on the building and on the pictures as well. Keep us posted on your progress.
John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

JD350Cmark

The photos from here on out are at the new site. 
This is the pad I poured and as usual, finished under headlights.   ::)

Here is the 1st day of work.  This was a few months after the foundation.

and more work..

upstairs walls in-

JD350Cmark

I sould be telling ya what it all consists of..  The lower part is framed with fir 2X6, the floor joists are 2X8, upstairs walls are 2X4 and the rafters are a 3X6 which are exposed.  Deck posts are 18"X 18" and drilled 24" wide and 4' to 5' deep.  Deck posts are redwood 6X6 and other odd stuff I had laying around.  Oh, and there is 6 yards in that 10'X16' pad.  Coulda gone 4 stories up.

thecfarm

Jeff,are you taking notes?????  Looking good.Keep the pictures and story coming.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

JD350Cmark

Boy, I wish this went up as fast as it may seem in these photos!  I can now sit on the deck - although I have yet to.  Is it happy hour yet?

Just finished the roof last week and now working on the doors.

JD350Cmark

ok, I got this picture posting down pat.  Anyway, here is the current condition of my little 10'X16" shed.  Still lots to do, but i'm sure it will always be there.

beenthere

Thanks for putting your photo's in your gallery, for us.   ;D  Great pics and project.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

brdmkr

Looking good 8)  Did you frame the walls and then pour the concrete?  It seems that way from the pics.  If you did, is there are reason you took that approach?  I've never seen it done that way before.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

WH_Conley

I beleive what he did was prefab the walls at home and then moved them to the permanent site.
Bill

JD350Cmark

I put as much together as I felt was time saving and then took it apart and moved it.  The green on the bottom is copper green, which prevents dry rot and keeps termites away.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

rebocardo

I have lived in places not 1/2 as nice as your shed  :D   

Sweet having that JD. I keep meaning to buy a Bobcat or JD. Main thing is my local zoning .. I have to garage it.

Did that metal roof cost a bunch and did you do it yourself?

Robert Long

JD

Very nice......Did you need a permit?
             ???
What are you planning to finish the shed with? ;)

When can you come up here and start on mine :D :D

Love the look of it !!

Robert

johncinquo

Glad to see I am not the only one that "thinking" gets me further into trouble all the time! 

Looks good.  We did the same thing with a hunting cabin, built it in the church parking garage, dismantled it, and hauled it to the site.  It went up in 3 days, shingled!  The evolution has transformed it into a insulated, cedar lined, air tight, wood heated, double paned windows, ad a dry well so dishes can be done inside now. 
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

jpgreen

Fine work and looks great.  What part of the golden state are you from?..  8)
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

JD350Cmark

rebocardo,

The roofing was about $800- the roof is 8 1/2' X 27' - not cheap in my opinion and yes I did it my self.

Robert,

I am gonna do Redwood board and bat on the upstairs, 1X10 and 1x3.  I have it cut and hope to start putting it on soon.  The downstairs I was thinking stucco, mainly from a wildfire standpoint.  But as it comes closer to doing it I can cut board & bats for next to nothing...so I am leaning towards that.  As far as when I can start on yours...just as soon as I finish mine. :)  5...10 years??

Robert Long

JD350Cmark

Today I built the doors and got them hung.  When I put on the siding I'll cover the plywood doors with something, but for now it keeps the rats out.

Like I mentioned before, the rafters are 3x6 and I just sheeted the roof with plywood.  Wanted the exposed beam look but didn't want to over do it.

The things I purchased were; concrete, plywood for sher & roof, windows, screws, misc bolts/washers/nuts and of course the metal roof.  I bought some metal to make all the brackets for the posts.  It is amazing what you can find when you don't want to spend any money. 

Robert Long

I really like the rafters the way you did them! 8)
Question: are those mortise and tendon joints with a bolt through them?

Robert

JD350Cmark

Robert,

Naw, I just cut them and bolted them up.  I didn't get that fancy.  (it is, just a shed after all)

I didn't know that was your tree house in the WM mag until today.  Congrats - I am sure there were posts on here 'bout that, if so I missed them.  What a neat project.

Thank You Sponsors!