iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I hit the Holly Log Mother load--- but what to do with it

Started by ATLGA, February 09, 2011, 05:12:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ATLGA

Ok I think I should be like this  8) but right now i'm like  ??? The butt logs are at least 30 inches wide and 8 feet long. I see this product sold for high bucks but I dont have sales channels for it. Any suggestions????

Thank you so much guys!!!

joel t.

America First.

Meadows Miller

Gday Joel

Id take logs like that every day if I could find em  ;) what volume and species are they and are you planing to mill timber or just sell the logs to another mill Mate  ???

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Jeff

Chris,  See subject. It took me a minute to figure it out to.  Holly I am guessing is the species.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Meadows Miller

4TH Generation Timbergetter

Tom

Holly is used for inlay work and some furniture work.  It needs to be sawn and properly dried to retain its brilliant white color.  When it begins to turn gray, it no longer has much value.

For inlay work small pieces are used. 4/4 boards are resawn, or even pieces cut with a knife, so large boards, over 2" thick are seldom needed.  The larger boards may be purchased and then used for months, as they have trimmings removed for inlay.

The only suggestion I can make is to prepare for a long marketing time, or find a broker or retailer who will be willing to store the boards and piecemeal them out to the retail market.

Regardless, you have to saw and dry them quickly.  Careful drying is important and you should pay special attention to this.

I would cut them in 4/4 or 8/4 boards and not expect to sell but a board or two at a time.

ATLGA

Tom thank you for the advice. We will go ahead and mill them out into those dimensions tomorrow and get them air drying in very controlled conditions. I'll look for a broker or dealer for it. Its such an odd species, I didnt even know they grow that large.
America First.

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

ATLGA

Yes sir I am. I was glad to see another fella from GA on here.
America First.

clww

Quote from: ATLGA on February 10, 2011, 12:59:57 AM
Tom thank you for the advice. We will go ahead and mill them out into those dimensions tomorrow and get them air drying in very controlled conditions. I'll look for a broker or dealer for it. Its such an odd species, I didnt even know they grow that large.
I didn't know it would reach that size, either. All I've cut down around here has been hollow in the center. Every size from 2" to 14".
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

tyb525

From what I've read, it's rare to find them large enough to cut boards from. I think it commands a pretty high price due to the rarity, but like others have said I doubt you'll sell more than a board or two at once.

Turners might like the thicker stock, I've seen some nice bowls made from it, but I would price it pretty high since you don't see it too often.

Here is a translucent bowl, looks like it was turned green, and I'm sure it required a huge amount of care to make due to the ultra-thin walls.

OFFSITE IMAGE
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Magicman

I would not think that the rarity alone would add value.  It's usefulness along with rarity might.  It's all about marketing.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

carykong

I sawed some small holly logs that were brought to me by the customer in his pick up. The yield was modest but the customer was delighted. He said cured holly boards cost $10bdft at professional retail outlet in Richmond,Va.

ATLGA

Thank you for all the input fellas. I checked Ebay and it looks like folks are paying $35 to $45 per BF...... that doesnt even make sense to me. The more I think about it the more this seems like a big time eater if I try to chase those $$$s .  I dont wanna be that fella with a huge pile of "collectibles" that are gonna be worth money someday.  :D
America First.

DanG

:o Those prices don't seem realistic for anything more than a tiny quantity, but you should be able to get a good premium for it if you can get it dried properly without staining.  The cool weather should be in your favor right now, but I suggest you get it into a kiln right away.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

stormyweatherman

Hey ATLGA,

Not sure where you're at but if you're near the water there's a lot of boatyards that would be interested in small quantities of holly.  Its used for the interior of boats and often interspersed with mahogany and/or teak.  marine is big bucks which could explain the high prices you were seeing online.  Call a few marinas that actually have facilities for boat work.  You might just wind up getting money for this stuff like what you saw online.  Target market and you might get lucky if not rich.  If you were closer I might buy some myself.  I'm building a small sailboat.  Cheers and good luck with it. 8)
if experience is the sum of all my mistakes, then i must know a great deal more than i realize

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

redbeard

Pen blanks are a good market but to get 45.00 bf you would have to sell the 1x1x6" pen blanks for 1.87 each if my math was right. I have some holly and haven't had a whole lot of interest from my wood turner clients I offer the stuff i have for 2.50 Bf and i have several 6"x6"x7' cants.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

ATLGA

Updates! Thanks fellas for all the ideas!  :P

We milled out one of the smaller logs and have it air drying now. We will mill out the rest of the larger logs next week. I will have some pics very soon. We had a local wood working group send a couple reps out yesterday and they took several pics.
America First.

MartyParsons

I have a friend who sells Holly. I talk to him quite often. I will give you what I think I know about it, It may not all be quite correct.
I know he only has so much time to saw and get it to the kiln before it turns gray. It must be kiln dried to prevent a fungus from growing and turning it gray. He has a special kiln dry it that uses micro wave? Logs are usually small, but he sells material for inlays. He claims to have the whitest Holly in the world. He saws in January so the fungus will not grow as quick. I think he cuts the logs and saws it and takes it to the kiln in less than 3 or 4 days. Time is important.
I hope this helps, sorry it may not be quite complete.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Okrafarmer

Update? I am getting ready to saw some holly and my local kiln operator is going to try to pop it in there AFAP. Our holly isn't nearly as white as I would like, but at least we do get some decent size logs around here. It is whiter than anything else I have. I milled up an old log I had sitting around for a year or so, and set it to air dry and it is turning colors.  :-\  All bad news. Now if I could just develop a market for "blue-stained holly"  :P
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

tyb525

Some people stain it black to look like Ebony. It is almost as hard as sugar maple, and dimensional stability is the same. I'd imagine you could sell grey holly as "false ebony stock" ;)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Okrafarmer

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Thank You Sponsors!