iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How would you saw this one?

Started by Bibbyman, January 26, 2012, 02:19:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

Customer brought in a load of this and that to saw up.  One of the logs was this otherwise nice black oak butt cut log.  Otherwise being it was split three ways.  He wanted 2x4, 6 and 8s

How would you tackle sawing this log?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

terrifictimbersllc

Narrow flatsawn lumber by rotating 120 degrees.  Or, if the cracks aren't parallel, cut every 18" at right angles to the pith.   ;)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Saw what he wants and give him a complimentary bottle of Gorilla Glue.  8)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

ladylake

If it's big enough saw through the long crack a bit below the center turn up a get you 6  or 8''  boards, If too small  not much.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

hackberry jake

Wedge, sledge, then saw three different pieces.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Buck

Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Weekend_Sawyer

If you go ahead and split it like Jake said, it looks like you would be half way to quarter sawing it  :)
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Chuck White

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on January 26, 2012, 04:33:01 PM
If you go ahead and split it like Jake said, it looks like you would be half way to quarter sawing it  :)

Sounds right to me too.  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Corley5

Do the splits run straight or do they spiral up the log  ??? ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

beenthere

Not enough info.
How far do the splits go? What does the other end look like? Splits come from poor falling or ?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ladylake

If the splits are spiral firewood for sure. I'd do my wedging and sledging with the mill.  No need to spilt the short crack as that would in the same plane as the blade.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Chris Burchfield

Bibby, I'm with hackberry jake.  First hoping it's the only one, begin the opening from the end with wedges and down the outside with wedges.  Pulling 1/3rd out of the log at a time.  I'd then put the best flat down and saw from the top down for board thickness.  I would then put one good edge on each board, flip it and see what I could get relating to the original request.  A bit of a pain for black oak.  I'd feel better about the amount work if it had been black walnut.  If I were there, I'd be glad to help.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

west penn

If the splits run fairly straight I would consider putting the odd split down 90degrees to the bed so the other two are nearly horizontal. then saw 2inch mat. until you get to the heart. save the split stuff so you can show the customer. then turn 90 degrees and cut 2inch mat. from the other half. The third split may well be in one 2x.  You could square it up first but if split because of tension, you may as well wait and edge after.

LOGDOG

Quote from: beenthere on January 26, 2012, 05:28:19 PM
Not enough info.
How far do the splits go? What does the other end look like? Splits come from poor falling or ?

These would be my questions first.....

jueston

Quote from: hackberry jake on January 26, 2012, 03:52:13 PM
Wedge, sledge, then saw three different pieces.

it could be a new kind of sawing, thirdsawing.... the Forum could apply for a trademark or patent or something, then when thirdsawing becomes the next big thing, jeff makes the big bucks and we have a FF picnic every weekend....

what we need now is someone to make thirdsawing famous so that everyone will want it.... we need a celebrity or something to say how amazing and expensive his thirdsawn oak cabinetry was....

bibby, this could be the beginning of something great.... :o

Bibbyman

You're right.  Not enough info.  In fact a closer look at the end of the log tells a lot.  There are a couple of minor cracks that have not opened up yet.  Also the stain in the heart area shows it has a lot of bug damage.  Plus the fact that it was standing dead would indicate it was killed by the bugs.  Also the crack twisted a bit and had some random cracks show up as we got closer to the center.  In short, this log was firewood and should not have been brought to the mill.

I did indeed use a 120° , 3 face method and sawed parallel to the bark instead of the heart.  I'm sawing on face two.

Here I'm making the face cut on the third face. Note I had first put the cant bark side down and cut the point of. When flipped 180°, that gave me a flat to stabilize the cant. 

Who says you always have to start at the top and saw your way down.  Here I'm starting in the middle and taking a couple of cuts to the bed.  The upper part was pushed off and sawn the same way later.

All the flitches were ran through the edger.  We lost about 50% of the log due to cracks, bad heart and sap rot.  Not very productive or profitable.  Now if it had been an otherwise sound log and of more valuable, maybe this method would have been worth the effort.

I just wanted to see how it would work.  A guy gets bored just sawing four faces every time.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

WDH

Definitely a challenge.

Quote from: Bibbyman on January 26, 2012, 10:04:09 PM
I just wanted to see how it would work.  A guy gets bored just sawing four faces every time.

I got some sweetgum that I need to send you  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tcsmpsi

Quote from: WDH on January 26, 2012, 10:47:43 PM
Definitely a challenge.

Quote from: Bibbyman on January 26, 2012, 10:04:09 PM

I got some sweetgum that I need to send you  :D.

Yep.  Sweetgum has six thousand seven hundred and twenty-four faces.    :D
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Weekend_Sawyer

Mr Bibbyman, In your first picture, what is the log on the right?

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

terrifictimbersllc

This might have been the way to "saw" that log: Wouldn't have to saw it at all!   :D

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,48660.msg701975.html#msg701975
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Weekend_Sawyer

Ah, but what type of Hickory Danny?

WDH

My bet would be pignut or sand hickory because of the tight bark and small ridges.

Ron Wenrich

I'm thinking its the second cut on the black oak he was cutting on.  If its pignut hickory, Bibs right on the edge of the range.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

paul case

I think i would have cut it about 16'' long and had presplit firewood. PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Thank You Sponsors!