iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

029 leaking bad

Started by tstex, November 04, 2011, 09:46:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tstex

Guys,

Bought a brand new MS029 last December...I told the dealer about a week later I noticed a lot of clear/bar chain-like oil in the case...I tightened the casing a bit more...used it 2-4 times and later they same thing.

Took it to the dealer about 2 months ago under warranty and they said they did their testing and there was nothing wrong and no leaks over the 1-2 nights it stayed there.  I just opened it up last weekend, and have not used it since it was checked by the dealer, and another pool of clear oil in the case...I am taking it back in later today when i go out, but wanted to know what you guys thought?

Again, thank you in advance for your help because you guys provide great info.

Thanks,
tstex

Al_Smith

It's fairly new to be leaking .However for whatever reason on occasion a little bit of sawdust gets in the oil tank ,some how gets passed the screen and gets sucked into the oil pump .This thing makes a nuisance of it's self and what happens is rather than actually leak the bar oil in essence siphons out of the pump ,dribbles down and appears to leak out the bottom .

Now I don't know it's that's the problem or not .However an age old cure is to remove the bar,wash the oil tank out then run a partial tank full of diesel fuel or kerosine though the system .Works sometimes ,sometimes not .

On the other hand there's two types of saws ,those that leak bar oil and those that will given enough time .

Weekend_Sawyer

My  029 leaks oil unless I store it on it's side with the filler caps up.
I don't store it in the case anymore.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Al_Smith

I've got parts and pieces from a couple 029's and reminents of an 039 in the shed .I'm not even sure if the 029 had an adjustment on the oiler ,never saw one run .Those in the box wouldn't hold up the the rigors of a tree service company that much I can tell you .If they would have the tree guys would have cared less if they leaked because every other saw did . :D

beenthere

I can get some oil leaking (MS361) when I fill with cold oil and then bring the saw inside where it is warm. The oil expands and pushes out at the bar hole. A puff of air will exit the filler when cracking open the caps on both the oil and the fuel. Relieving the pressure helps and I don't get leakage. But by habit now, I store the saw on its side as fluctuating temps seem to "pump" a little bit of oil out at the bar over time.
I would suspect the OP is having that happen.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

lumberjack48

It seems like some leak worse than others, i wouldn't worrie about it, unless it was leaking when i using it, if it was the tank leaking  I'd put a little epoxy on it, that stopped it.

I can't seem to remember a saw ever being oil free under neigh when setting for a while. 
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

tstex

As always, thank you for your follow-up guys...

The dealer has it now and they can look at it and see if there "is" something wrong with it, or not.

Interesting comments, but I take it there are two types of chain saws, "those that leak and those that are gonna leak".   :D

When i get it back from the dealer, I will post back with their comments.

Thanks again and be safe,
tstex

Weekend_Sawyer

It's like them ol harleys from the 70's and before, theres those that leak and those that were out of oil.  ;D

I had a 51' pan shovel that had the total loss oil system. The engine was vented into the primary drive case, the primary had a small hole on the inside edge to let oil drip down on the chain which then slung up the riders back making his jacket waterproof ;D

When I was dating a young lady, who eventually became my ex :o, the first time I took her out for a ride she was wearing a white vest, I was so distracted by her charms that I didn't think to tell her to wear black. We stopped for a burger and as I followed her into the bar I saw a nice speckeld racing stripe running up the left side of her back.

but I digress, what were we talking about?
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Al_Smith

Old Harleys didn't leak,they just marked your spot and also kept the asphault from rusting .

Yeah eventually most saws will leak too .Keeps the bed of the truck from rusting as well as the shelf in the shed ,your pants .Probabley not a good thing to store in the clothes closet next to your wifes favorite little black dress .

tstex

After reading everything here again, have just a few more questions if you guys can help:

1).  My MS290 I purchased new last Dec 31, 2010...is a c-saw this new supposed to leak?

2).  My usage of this saw has been maybe 10-12 times, mainly last winter/spring...by using it more or less, does this cause leakage issues?

3).  When I put it back in the case, should I always make sure it is not full in the oil side..I do use the Stihl oil

4).  If the temp changes greatly [80 to 38 or vice versa], can the pressure delta cause the oil to expand and push out?

The dealer under warranty is looking at the saw...I should hear s-thing back by Mon-Tues of this week and will post the results...

Finally, does it really matter that type of chain-oil you use?  As mentioned, I use the Stihl c-oil and will not cut corners on the Stihl gas mixture...

Thank you guys,
tstex

Kevin

Summer oil won't leak as bad.

sharkey

Some of the oil caps have 'o' rings around where they seal on the engine case, you might want to replace that o ring while your working on it. 

Al_Smith

If you can't find the leak on most Stihls the oil caps are on the side .Just tip the saw over when you store it with the caps up .If the darned thing wants to leak just let it .

Thank You Sponsors!