iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

8/4 Walnut

Started by Cazzhrdwd, February 04, 2017, 09:47:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cazzhrdwd

Quote from: GeneWengert-WoodDoc on May 12, 2017, 05:03:39 PM
Face or end checkIng?

Its end checking, face looks very nice. It is end coated.
96 Woodmizer LT40Super  Woodmizer 5 head moulder

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

End checking should be controlled well by a thick coating of Anchorseal or similar product.  The coating needs to be applied prior to the start of any end checking.  Walnut is quite prone to end checking which indeed develops into end honeycomb.  Hard to tell now how far the checks go.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Cazzhrdwd

Quote from: GeneWengert-WoodDoc on May 13, 2017, 07:01:03 AM
End checking should be controlled well by a thick coating of Anchorseal or similar product.  The coating needs to be applied prior to the start of any end checking.  Walnut is quite prone to end checking which indeed develops into end honeycomb.  Hard to tell now how far the checks go.

Have another load going in about a month, that will be also encoated with anchor seal. What about also covering the end of the pile with plastic?

Also any ideas on doing a better job with 8/4 walnut. I'd like to read up on it a bit?

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Use two heavy coats
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Cazzhrdwd

Quote from: GeneWengert-WoodDoc on May 13, 2017, 06:01:18 PM
Use two heavy coats

What would sealing the end with plastic do?

YellowHammer

Seems like plastic would be a pain.  What would you have in mind d?
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Cazzhrdwd

Just covering the ends securely. Now I'm at about 25% core and my end checks are getting a bit larger. Not too many running down the face, just on the end.

Its a bit blurry, not that way on my iPad. Not sure why it is here.

Cazzhrdwd

Getting more green 8/4 today. Going to put it on sticks and put it in the barn. Its going to be 95° Tomorrow (Wednesday) should I cover it also to keep it from drying too fast?

YellowHammer

Here's how I would do it, not sure of your configuration.  I would sticker it, with the stickers as close to the end of the boards as reasonably possible to arrest any end checks.  Then I would spray or slather Anchorseal on it, two coats, or as much as it will soak up.  I like spraying because it will cover the entire exposed end, and the exposed face, of the boards up to the first stickers.  Then put it under a shed, put another stack of stickered wood on top of it for weight, and surround it with other drying stacks to cut the wind down. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Cazzhrdwd

Quote from: YellowHammer on May 17, 2017, 06:39:23 AM
Here's how I would do it, not sure of your configuration.  I would sticker it, with the stickers as close to the end of the boards as reasonably possible to arrest any end checks.  Then I would spray or slather Anchorseal on it, two coats, or as much as it will soak up.  I like spraying because it will cover the entire exposed end, and the exposed face, of the boards up to the first stickers.  Then put it under a shed, put another stack of stickered wood on top of it for weight, and surround it with other drying stacks to cut the wind down.

Agreed, what do you think of the end checks in the pic?

Gene I'd like your opinion on it as well.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Except for the large one, they appear as normal end checks that could be prevented with two coats of Anchorseal.  Two coats are essential when spraying.

The large check is a stress check from stress in the tree.

Cazzhrdwd

Quote from: GeneWengert-WoodDoc on May 17, 2017, 07:57:43 PM
Except for the large one, they appear as normal end checks that could be prevented with two coats of Anchorseal.  Two coats are essential when spraying.

The large check is a stress check from stress in the tree.

Okay thanks. I coated it once during air drying, I'll do it on this next load.

This next load is very nice. Here are some very nice 15'

Thank You Sponsors!