iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Iditarod 2018....

Started by upnut, March 04, 2018, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

upnut

Iditarod 2018 is under way, 43 dogsled teams taking off from the start line in Willow Alaska destination about 1000 miles north in Nome. My pick to win, young Wade Marrs. Top five finish for Jessie Royer would be neat to see, and sentimental pick for me is Jeff King because we're about the same age and we've met once. And Shaynee Traska, 29, was born and raised here in Michigan,  a rookie from Gladwin that will be fun to follow.  Any Iditarod fans on this board? Let's hear your picks....

Scott B.

I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

Chuck White

I've been outside (that's down in the lower 48) since 1989, so I've lost track of who's who in the big race!

Just wondering though, if they're going to put segments of the race on TV this year!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

starmac

I do not keep up with it, but one of the custom log house builders that I haul logs too runs in it. I used to have a lot of respect for how tough them guys were, till I bought a log truck and found out it was not all about tough.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

51cub

I try to keep up with it. I sure don't see alot of people around here that even know what it is. I have to admit I'm not as enthused this year after hearing about the Dallas Seavey deal. I don't even care who's right or wrong anymore. I just hate the bickering back and forth
I believe in the hereafter, because every time I take two steps into the tool crib to get something I wonder " what did I come in here after"

If nothing else I'm always a good last resort or the guy to hold up as a bad example

upnut

Chuck White- You can follow the race here:http://iditarod.com/....I think you will recognize some of the lead mushers, Like Redington and Seavy.

starmac- I don't often see people questioning the toughness of Iditarod mushers, leave it to an Alaskan Logger, right?!... ;D ;D

51cub- I was turned off by the controversy as well, guess that happens whenever money and competition are involved. I decided not to let the negative prevail and enjoy the spirit of the race.

The lead teams are over Rainy Pass, thru Rohn and headed into the interior, next stop Nikolai....

bedway

I was wondering if Jesse Holmes from the TV show Life Below Zero was competing?

upnut

bedway- Yes, currently running 16'th out of the Rohn checkpoint.

Scott B.

starmac

Did not mean to imply they were not tough, they have to be, and I don't know what other sport would demand the kind of phyiscal condition a race like the this or the Quest takes to even think about being competitive. Now until talking to a competitor or two, did I realize that not all of them try or actually intend to be competitive.

Magicman

Same as with marathons and other distance races.  Just to enter and maybe even finish is a personal goal/accomplishment.  I admire them all.

We actually got to meet Susan Butcher and her husband Dave in 1997.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

upnut

starmac- Understood....Trying to remember, when we toured Jeff Kings Husky Homestead he mentioned how many teams he considered contenders for the win, seems like a dozen or so. Just finishing the race is a worthy goal for many, others race to bring awareness to various causes, like Alan Eischens for pediatric cancer or Rick Casillo and his Battle Dawgs Kennel who help and support wounded veterens. Many aspiring dog handlers for the bigger kennels will run puppy teams whose only goal is to introduce young dogs to a thousand mile camping trip and HAVE FUN! And through it all it takes a small army(and air force) of volunteers to pull it off. Remarkable!

Scott B.

51cub

Dee Dee Jonrowe scratched for health reasons. That's too bad. She's always somebody to keep an eye on. I hear you about still watching. The controversy won't make me stop looking for the results, but it'll make me move on once they bring it up
I believe in the hereafter, because every time I take two steps into the tool crib to get something I wonder " what did I come in here after"

If nothing else I'm always a good last resort or the guy to hold up as a bad example

tmbrcruiser

I have the Exxon poster from the 2014 Mushers Banquet with all the signature cover by the glass top on my desk. Was on my bucket list to go to the Iditarod start and was so much fun my wife and I went back to Alaska for the Yukon Quest in 2016. Both races require so much dedication from the racers and everyone that helps put the race on. Praying for a safe race and good weather.
Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

starmac

I don't but my wife always goes and stands in the river for either the start or the finish of the quest, depending on wich way they are running.

upnut

The lead team has arrived in the village of Iditarod and will probably declare his mandatory 24 hour layover there. Joar Leifseth Ulsom will also collect $3,000.00 worth of gold nuggets for reaching the half-way point first, not a bad reward for pressing on! Several other teams have already taken their 24 hour stop and will press on further, hard to predict the differing strategies. Once all the teams have completed their mandatory 8 and 24 hour layovers the picture will be a little more clear. I still like my picks!

Scott B.

OntarioAl

Absolutely fascinating
I am following the progress of the teams via the net
Al
Al Raman

Thank You Sponsors!