iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Push or Pull

Started by Jim_Rogers, September 26, 2015, 09:59:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

All my life I always pushed a wheel barrow.

Just recently, on a job at a site, the customer, a woman, was pulling her wheel barrow back from dumping the sawdust out.

I had never seen anyone ever pull a wheel barrow.

I didn't ever consider it.

What do you do?

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

sandhills

I voted pull, at least when it's heavy such as concrete or sand, but I prefer a FIL  ;).

Grizzly

Push when full, pull when empty. But watch out for those small cheap ones as they'll catch your heel and begin another language!
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

beenthere

Only push, unless I want the legs to bump into my heels.

Pushing as well gives you more balance control as you can see/feel better when it starts to tip or lean wrong.

But then, I don't ride a two-wheel bike backwards either..  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ljohnsaw

I voted push.  I sometimes pull when I have to go up steps or some steep hill where the front might hit the ground, but only when empty.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

sandsawmill14

Quote from: Grizzly on September 26, 2015, 10:12:22 PM
Push when full, pull when empty. But watch out for those small cheap ones as they'll catch your heel and begin another language!
x2
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

redprospector

The last time I pulled one I was about 12. By the time my Dad got through explaining to me the finer points of wheelbarrowing I never bothered to try pulling one again. It just wasn't worth the effort.  :D
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

samandothers

yep push!

Pull every now and again but when it hits my heels I remember why I push it.

dgdrls

I hate wheel barrows

Only one wheel item I really care to use is a Unicycle,
yes I can still ride one, well the last time I tried I could, that was a while back
but not that far!!  :D

Dan

sandhills

Well Jim, guess that means I'm the black sheep (or goat  ;)) of the family, isn't the first time, won't be the last  ;D.  Anytime I've used them was concrete work and always seemed to be uphill when full of coarse, why I prefer the FEL  ;).

Magicman

No pulling for me, even empty.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

VTwoodworker

The vote for me is both.

If you spent any time cleaning a barn with a wheel barrow then you got used to pushing full and pulling empty.  There is no place to turn around the wheel barrow on top of the plank up the manure pile.  I have moved a lot of stuff with a wheel barrow but at this point in my life much prefer the bucket on my tractor.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Jeff

Reminds me of the time I got in mild trouble in autoshop class and was called a certain "smart something" word by Mr. Hagon the instructor. I was dragging a chain across the shop floor which we were told not to do because of the floor's oil reistant paint. He shouts "Brokaw! What are you doing dragging that chain??   I replied with out thinking "Did you ever try to push one?"  He laughed and told me to pick it up and carry it from now on "smart---"   :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

coxy

Quote from: Jeff on September 27, 2015, 06:43:55 PM
Reminds me of the time I got in mild trouble in autoshop class and was called a certain "smart something" word by Mr. Hagon the instructor. I was dragging a chain across the shop floor which we were told not to do because of the floor's oil reistant paint. He shouts "Brokaw! What are you doing dragging that chain??   I replied with out thinking "Did you ever try to push one?"  He laughed and told me to pick it up and carry it from now on "smart---"   :)
that's funny  I can just hear you saying that to  :D :D :D

Chuck White

I've heard that one a few times, Jeff!   ;D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

svart ole

My Dad always said, "Push and it goes hard, Pull and it comes easy". I have been known to do both. I no longer own a wheelbarrow with only one wheel. Two works so much better.
My wife said I collect junk, I told her I am a amateur industrial archaeologist just trying to save valuable artifacts.

thecfarm

I wondered when that was coming,the oner or the twoer.  ;D  I suppose on nice even ground 2 would work ok. Come to The C Farm and see how you luck out dodging rocks with 2 tires.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

r.man

I have done both, depends on the terrain, the situation and the space involved.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

petefrom bearswamp

sandhills glad you clarified the FIL FEL stuff
Im sure your father in law would not care to push concrete for you.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

sandhills

Sorry, wasn't thinking  ::)

svart ole

If you have a one track mind stick with one wheel.
My wife said I collect junk, I told her I am a amateur industrial archaeologist just trying to save valuable artifacts.

Stuart Caruk

I grab one of the Bobcat Skid Steers. Don't even own a wheel barrow anymore...
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

Thank You Sponsors!