iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Small Forersty Operation

Started by Deadwood, October 24, 2005, 07:35:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deadwood

Recently I needed to do a small scale logging operation to obtain some lumber for my new woodworking shop. Because I do a lot for Wood Online (a woodworking forum) I thought I would bring along my camera and take pictures of the operation as I went, place it on my own website and then have interested woodworkers link to that. Unforunately, my website has already been featured on Wood Online this year so all my hard work at creating this Virtual Woodlot Harvest was for nothing. Rather than letting it sit on my website unseen by anyone, I thought I would post it here in case people would like to see it.

I feel a bit out of place here, but hope you do not take this the wrong way, that I am invading your Forestry Forum. In fact I find it very interesting and hope you find these two links interesting. They took a lot more work then their appear I can tell you that, and it would be a waste I think to not share them with someone.

Here they are and enjoy...

http://www.railroadmachinist.com/Log_Intro.html

http://www.railroadmachinist.com/WDL_Home.html

sprucebunny

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Travis  :)

You have a very informative website and your enthusiasm certainly shines thru  8)

I hope you will stick around and join in the fun here ;D We all love wood and forests, too. :)
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Deadwood

Thank you for your kind words.

A member on that Woodworking Website I mentioned gave us all a link to this site, and while I became a member a few weeks ago, I never posted much. I truly owe him a thank you for allowing all of us to come to this website.

I love woodworking, but I have always loved Forestry as well. I was even a commercial logger for a few years before I realized that a steady paycheck and health insurance has its benefits.

I need to get back into the woods again and do some serious forestry work. Perhaps, just perhaps, coming onto this site will give me the kick in the pants I need to get going!

CHARLIE

Deadwood, welcome to the Forestry Forum!  Pull up that nail keg over there, sit down in front of this old potbellied stove and share your stories with us. :)  I used to frequent the Wood Forum a lot and still do once in a while.  Both Jim Frye and I used to work for IBM and I had the good fortune to visit with him a couple of times when he was in Rochester, Minnesota on business. Jim is really a fine man and an excellent woodworker. I'm assuming you know Jim or know of him through Wood forums.

I see you like railroading! ME TOO! I used to be a freight conductor for Florida East Coast Railroad in my younger days. I worked primarily Locals except during the sugar cane and the perishable seasons. Back then we used GP7's and GP9's.  A few years back I was talking with a railroad engineer while on a trip to Chicago and mentioned the types of engines we used. His remark......"Oh, those are the dinasaurs."  I guess that dated me OK. ;D

Thanks for sharing those photographs. You'll find we LOVE pictures over here........and we also LOVE food!  Especially G R I T S ;D  Mmmmmmmm thinking about that makes my mouth water. :D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

DanG

Welcome, Deadwood!  Things are a bit different here. ;D  If you'll go back and put your website on your profile, a link will show up on each of your posts. ;)  You also have your own gallery here, so you can show your pics directly instead of posting a link.

Besides those little niceties, the folks here are friendly, helpful and fun.  Could be, you've just found yourself a new home! ;) 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

SwampDonkey

Hello Neighbor ;D Not sure what part of Maine your in. But, I can see the white international monument at the end of the field. ;) Welcome aboard. :) I'm enjoying reading your web pages, excellent stuff. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Deadwood

Thanks guys, you really know how to make a guy feel welcome! To be honest with you, your kind words could not have come at a better time, but I can't get into that unfortunately.

Just for the record, I live near Belfast Maine, about halfway up the coast of Maine and about 20 minutes inland. A nice place really with a a few acres of both farm and forest land.

It will take me awhile to figure out all the idiosyncracies about this website and how it works so please be patient with me as I get settled in. I already like the set-up though and will try to make my profile and custom gallery all to your liking. If you see any place I can improve something, feel free to tell me. As I said it seems like you can do a lot on this website.

Thanks again for your kind words!

Frickman

Welcome aboard Deadwood! That's an impressive website you have there. Come on and jump in the Forum, The water's perfect.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Ed_K

Welcome Deadwood, I comercial log the way you are doing it. It may be slow but I have work lined up for a least the next two yrs. If you go to my photo gallery you'll see the setup, with tractor - winch - forestry trailer.
Glad your friend sent you to the best site on the web.
Ed K

maple flats

Welcome Deadwood. Great job you're doing there. I also log (small scale) with a tractor, but mine makes yours look BIG. I use a 20 horse 4x4 with a 3 point log arch. Also have access to a 70 HP tracked skid steer if really needed, but seldom need it. You are right, plan the whole thing first and then drop it where you want it, that's all you need to do. Again, welcome aboard.
Maple Flats :) 8) :)
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

tnlogger

Deadwood I see your from my old stomping grounds  ;D I was born in Belfast and have relatives from there to 50 miles in all directions. welcome to the forum you'll not find a better home  :)
gene

thecfarm

I haven't been on for awhile,a late welcome from another Mainer.If looking for a manual sawmill go to Brooks and check out Thomas,or just go over and check them out.Dale loves to talk.They start at around $3500 and go up to $7500.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Deadwood

Really, are that that good?

Oh I can't do that. I was toying with you.

We already have a sawmill from him. A small one granted, but it works very well though they have gone up on their prices some. The only reason I paid a portable sawmill to come in and saw my lumber was because of time restraints. As you know, winter will be here any day and I wanted to get my shop closed in quickly.

Chesterville Maine rings a bell but I cannot place it. If you bought your sawmill from him then you were VERY close to my home. Less than three miles away!

thecfarm

I'm next door to Farmington,on the way to Rangeley.His sawmill is about the only thing I spent more than $5000 on and am still very happy with it.It is so simple and easy to maintain and to use.I'm about 1 1/2 hours from you.I bought the 20 foot no-flex track and the 20hp  Honda motor.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!