iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

introducing le fetch.... tracked skidder bombardier

Started by pinefeller, August 21, 2016, 09:22:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teakwood

Why has siberia the most natural resources mike?

I think africa is pretty loaded too
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

mike_belben

Im not an expert, but i believe ive read siberia having the most timber, gas, coal and now diamond.  I think africa is where the bulk of radiactive substances comes from. 

America has plenty of resources.  Its also the most regulated and costly place to extract them.
Praise The Lord

Peter Drouin

UNH, says our trees are growing faster than we can cut it.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

pinefeller

well dog-gonit we're all trying to flatten this place as fast as we can! i can hear a buncher most any day around hear and im working on the neighborhood lol..... that lorax story is bogus i tell ya. the only thing that stops trees from growing is houses.  an interesting paradox really....
for those who say "it cannot be done!" please do so quietly so as not to disturb those who are doing it.

Novascotiamill

Thats a cool machine but be carefull as many have posted. They are popular in newfoundland for dragging moose from the woods. An oufitter I used back in the early nineties geared one up with a seat to accomidate a handicapped hunter. The guide rolled the machine and killed the hunter.
Another hard luck story ,unfortunately Ive got more than my fare share,but it helps to learn from others mistakes.
2017 HM130
Stihl 261
2010 F150 xtr
Lots of rigid genx5 tools
1 long haired german shepherd
2017 kioti ck2610HST with FEL and forks
Grindlux band sharpener
Wicked 55" root rake grapple
O

pinefeller

ive already flopped it on its side once ( thats why i built the cage though) still needs some finishing. its mostly a conversation piece/toy at this point.
for those who say "it cannot be done!" please do so quietly so as not to disturb those who are doing it.

lopet

Quote from: pinefeller on January 27, 2018, 07:04:05 AM
ive already flopped it on its side

Shouldn't told us.  Now we wanna here the story and how the Treefarmer got it back on its tracks.  ;D
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

pinefeller

oh your going to love this....  so back in the days before the treefarmer....a sad time, buck when i just went to work and got a paycheck only dreaming of the bittersweet joy of owning my own very own skidder.....  im out with my boys and my niece.....i know "gasp"!... no one was hurt.... anywho, we we putting around out on the back forty bushwacking and under the ferns i didnt see about a 8'' diameter rotten log that i unknowingly drove up on at an angle, which in itself wouldnt have been too bad but there was a chuck hole behind it and when the machine broke over the top of the log the right front dropped in that hole and the blade dug in. well, buy that time you could pretty much reach out and touch mother earth from the cab and she just kind of gently rolled one er side and my oldest son landed in my lap. a quick check revealed everyone had all their fingers and toes, so we hooted and hollered like the kids during ''freestyle" at a monster truck show and climbed out of the cab like rock stars and hoofed half a mile back to the house.  8)that gave me just enough time to come up with a good alibi on why we were walking instead of driving and make the kids pinky swear not to tell ma.  little turds threw me right under the bus soon as we strolled in :D. so i walked back with a jug of oil and a come-a-long, winched it back over dumped in a gallon of dino juice (its was probably due for an oil change anyway)and drove her home. tada  :D :D :D and thats the epic roll over story.

lopet

Lucky no one got hurt.
I knew you're gonna get burned before I got to the end of the story.  ;D ;D Kids  :D
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.

pinefeller

it'll be a good memory when they get older and look back lol

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

pinefeller

i need more sliders lol

some field edge reclaiming 

thecfarm

Yes you do.I run 6. Sometimes all 6 are used,sometimes only one. I do as you do,but sometimes I only end up with one stick in the chains instead of 10. But most times it works.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

pinefeller

well im pretty cheap ...uh thrifty i mean, and i wasnt sure how good it was all going to work out. im pretty shure it'll all be ok, so maybe ill jump for a few more. still needs a faster winch thats the only thing i dont like about it all so far. maybe i can finish up the sheet metal this summer after dinner.

g_man

Quote from: pinefeller on February 25, 2018, 04:23:18 PM
i need more sliders lol

some field edge reclaiming
When I try to do that I lose half of them in the first 100 ft. You must have a secret but I can't see it.
gg

thecfarm

First off,put the chain back farther than you would on a big log. Just as you see in the picture.
Second,winch it up high,this way when the front ends go up the twitch is still off the ground and no slack. That clump of wood hits the ground and no longer tight,there it goes. Time to play pick up sticks.
I lay down a chain and put small wood,or limb would onto the chain. My wood for the OWB. I have had 6 bunches like that before. Can be a bother to get the chains out. Most times I just unhook the chains and dog the cable back in and drive forward.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

pinefeller

well, with the little wood they're easy to wiggle around so i set up the choker so they roll in, then pull them up a little and step on the slip hook, if they arnt cinched up tight, go to the end and wiggle the sticks from the tops.  they have to have enough weight and be up off the ground to keep the choker tight. you can also double wrap small bundles.....like a chinese finger trap. i got a lot of little tricks ive figured out. a smooth skid trail helps a lot too. that skid was about 1/4 mile. it works on big wood too. when i uesd to run a 640d deere a 548 would make bunches ahead of me then id grab 2 or 3 bunches usually so big you couldnt get a 10' choker around them.

i normally run 6 (540b) or 8 (C5d) 9 on the 640!  but im using what i got for now. its a challenge, i enjoy the rigging. it does feel pretty good when you pull a sweet hitch in and dont have any go UA on ya.

lopet

Before you need more sliders you need to get that blue paint of the "old "ones. :D
Sorry couldn't resist.

pinefeller

well if thats how your going to be....i might as well move 3x as much wood while im wearing that paint off ;D

mike_belben

Pickup sticks is not my favorite.  I have really tried to find ways to manually handle each piece of wood less (since the rate on firewood is so low here)

I used to load pieces on the trailer, bring them home. Load them on the forks, drop one end, run it over, scatter the whole pile, swear, back up, get out, restack etc.  

Then i made a few of these and what a difference.  

I bring cribs to the work,  put them out of the way if not full and not needed, bring them home on my goosneck with one strap and no worries, stick em wherever until im gonna cut. then just buck the whole pile in one shot when i do.  You guys with forks on your FELs might wanna consider making some cribs.
Praise The Lord

pinefeller

so if you put  uprights every 16'' then you could cut up the whole crib at once with a long bar or just make the cribs like 2' wide and flush up one end of the sticks i guess it depends how pickey your fw customers are or if its just for personal use.

mike_belben

A middle bolster would help a little.  The small stuff like this thats easy to lift i tend to run through the roller rack and cut each piece where it wants to be cut. Its pretty fast when im in the groove.  The cutoffs fall into a wheelbarrow and then i stack on pallets.  One for short pieces, one for long.  Odd junk is cast off into my own pile.    

When im bringing home trailer loads of mixed stems i unload and sort with the bobcat.  Under 8" diameter go in a bunk and theyre heavy enough to hold still while i buck the whole stack with a 36" bar right next to the pallet. Then just one hand split and into the pile.  Bigger stuff goes to the splitter pile. 
Praise The Lord

Ed_K

I did the 2'x2'x8' box cut with a 24" bar and it was dang hard work. Load wood, cut it,saw get stuck when wood binds after cutting, pull 16" pieces out split chunks and throw on truck. It was to much work an wore out my shoulders which still hurt 5 yrs later :(.
 Also tried cutting to 4' then splitting it, then use the box and it still was too much.
Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!