iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cbn wheel

Started by kev, July 27, 2009, 04:47:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kev

how does one tell when the cbn wheel need replacing.

amberwood

Usually a drop off in performance is notable, and a visial inspection will reveal, if worn out, that the grinding media has worn off to a smooth steel disc.

DTR
MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

Papa1stuff

Are you happy with your cbn grinder amberwood ?
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

ladylake

How many blades will a cbn wheel sharpen before wearing out?    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

MartyParsons

We tested the CBN grinding wheel before they were sold to owners. I will need to ask Rich about how many he changed. I dont think many. He did about 60 blades daily with three CBN grinders. You may run into shorter life on the wheels if you are changing different hook angles on the blades. Like changing a 9 degree blade to a 10 degree hook etc. You should use the proper wheel for the proper hook angle. I will get him to answer this tomorrow.
Marty
I think we had these in operation about 1 year.
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

amberwood

papa1stuff. so happy I bought another one. actually I had an LT10 customer who wanted a sharpener but insufficent budget for a new one, so I sold him the old Shop Series and upgraded to a ProSeries. I also picked up a regular resharp job with another AWMV customer so it justified the $$. The 240V motor on the grinder makes a huge difference. A quick snap in its new home.

MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

Papa1stuff

Thanks amberwood, I just took delivery of the cbn shop series grinder today ,now I need to get it together .power in my sawmill shed and sharpen some blades.
I was a little disappointed that you can't get 7 degree wheels yet ,but they say in the near future,hope so as I have 15 of them.

amberwood

There are 7deg wheels, I have one. We tested them last year pre release. The production item cannot be far away.

DTR
MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

Papa1stuff

Great  smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_bounce

P.A. RESHARP

Good morning, Sorry took so long to get back here, its been busy at the shop. As Marty said we had these wheels for about 1 year. One thing you will notice, is that when they are new, they feel like they will sharpen blades with out much effort at all, after you get the rough stuff off, you feel like they dont want to sharpen like they used to, but you still have a lot of life in the wheel. One thing to look for is a line where the top of the tooth grinds, you will see where over time it will start to where down to the metal. Another hint to when it is starting to get wore out, is it will start burning the gullets a lot more so than with a good wheel. And another hint is it will not clean up the back of the gullet like it should. But you should be able to lots and lots of grinds off of one wheel. If you have a blade that is a little rough, instead of trying to clean it up in one pass, make 2 passes, that will help save your wheel, and also always make sure your oilers are working good, and keep them cleaned out.  Hope this helped, HAVE A GREAT DAY

Papa1stuff

PA resharp ,whern are they going to have 7 degree wheels in the USA?

kev

was wondering what the major difference between the shop series and pro series is.are the pro series worth the extra $ for the average sawyer.

gmmills

I 've had a 7 deg wheel since the later part of May.  Ordered it from Sparks in Indy. Part # 053294
Custom sawing full-time since 2000. 
WM LT70D62 Remote with Accuset
Sawing since 1995

P.A. RESHARP

The # that gmmills gave is correct 053294 will get you the 7* wheel

Papa1stuff

Thanks,I just purchased the CBN grinder and 10 * stone and they said the 7* wasn't available.
Guess I will be on the phone when they open!! ;D

amberwood

Kev. the biggest difference is the power. I have the euro version as it is single phase 240v, whereas the US version is 110v. Either way you are getting mains power into the grinder motor, it does not slow down on the heavy cuts. Overall it is also built ALOT heavier. No one man lift for this piece of gear. I need the engine crane to get the box from the shed door to its new home and up onto the bench. The US version also has some extra do das in the control box that I do not have such as tooth counts, feed rates and error messaging etc. The Euro version is a little more basic, like the shop version just with more power and heavier construction. The shop series is essential if you have any ideas of moving it around from job to to job, and is more than enough for supporting a single mill. I now have to sharpen enough blades to support a LT40, single head resaw, and a twin vertical saw. The ProSeries was the way to go.

DTR
MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

Papa1stuff

Yes the 7* is avalible and I have one on the way
Thanks Everyone!! smiley_bounce smiley_clapping

wscott

any way to clean the metal from the cbn stone
You should always marry a ugly girl, when she leaves you, you want feel so bad.

Thank You Sponsors!