iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Bio 2 cycle mix & bar oil.

Started by HolmenTree, January 24, 2019, 12:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HolmenTree

Please delete if not allowed. 
I found something new here in 2 cycle saw mix. Looks impressive as it meets and exceeds JASO FD Standard. 
The bar oil pours to -30°C.

NV Earth | 2 Cycle Oil
NV Earth | Bar and Chain Oil

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

lxskllr

It's got my interest; the 2 cycle oil especially. The quart is attractively priced on Amazon($20). I'm pretty happy with canola as my winter bar oil, but I'd like to check the bar oil for summer use.

edit:
Comparing it to Stihl HP Ultra, it has a flash point of 125°C compared to Stihl's 220°C. What are the ramifications of that for day to day use?

John Mc

The flash point of a 2 cycle oil is basically a non-issue: it's far more than the gas you mix it with, so not a problem for your saw.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Mad Professor

Interesting.

I used bio-bar oil (stihl) on my CS mill so I could use the sawdust as mulch on fruit trees and berries.  Problem was you had to clean it off and run the tank dry if the saw sat a while.  Otherwise, the oil polymerized into a hard junk most solvents would not remove.  It even froze up the links on chains.

Unsaturated oils polymerize.  That's why old time oil based paint was cut with linseed oil, it polymerized and made a protective coat, making the painted surface last.

I'll be interested to see how this stuff works out?

Air Lad

Interesting post
Am keen to hear how it goes if anyone has been using this type of product
Our business uses lanoline spray on air conditioning printed circuit boards as an anti corrosive coating and pest deterrent. It is non conductive and derived from sheep fat.
Products like these may help sustain the era of the combustion engine use way into the future.
smiley_thumbsup

charles mann

So, how would a person purge and clean their bar oil tank, in order to switch over to a bio oil, as 1 had stated, for use in gardening? I know running it emtpy, but what about the residual petro oil? 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

lxskllr

My personal view is a tank or two of changed oil makes the next batch pure. I'm sure trace amounts of the previous oil could be found by looking hard enough, but regular bar oil isn't exactly toxic waste. The minimal amount that may be left will get broken down in the soil, and anything directly contacting food will be on the same scale as pesticide residue from grocery produce. All my opinion of course. I haven't studied it.

SpaceBus

I have a gallon of the bar oil and it is crazy expensive, almost $40/gallon. I tried it straight and mixed 50/50 with canola oil. Aside from pouring at a lower temp than straight canola oil I don't see any advantages. 

I was sent a sample of the NV 2t oil, but I run at 40-32:1 since most of my fuel is used milling, the sample is only enough for one gallon at 50:1. Has anyone tried the 2t oil? Small 2t oil containers go quick around here, but I don't know if I want to commit to a whole gallon if it is no good. 
Logosol F2+
Various Chainsaws

Thank You Sponsors!