iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone logging with a winch truck?

Started by Pine Ridge, May 06, 2014, 08:51:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pine Ridge

New member, wondering if anyone else is using a winch truck to skid logs? The one I own is a 1979 chevy 3/4ton with 4 wheel drive, dual rear wheels, and a garwood pto winch. She's not fast or pretty, but its what I use. Runs good and dependable!
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

Firewoodjoe

Welcome! And can't say that I have. How's it work? Just personal use?

thecfarm

If it works for you,that is all that matters. My land is a challenge to work on,uneven places and rocks are the worse of it.
Get any pictures? Seem like a member put a engine hoist in the back of a truck to get logs out.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Pine Ridge

Thanks for the welcome! yes its just for personal use,on the weekends. It works pretty good, just not real fast. I cut oak mostly, small woodlots that the owners realize I have another job during the week,and log on the weekends.I cut to length in the woods, 8 feet 8 inches, and skid out what it will handle at a time. i'll see if i can get a picture posted, I'm  not real computer savvy!

Pine Ridge

thecfarm

Was that a before you put it in the woods picture??
Like that arch. Don't need chains?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Pine Ridge

That picture was taken last week, I've been using it about two years now,I do touch up the paint every now and then th  ough.I don't know what the arch was made from, I didn't build it, I bought the truck from a friend.It is stout made! The top of the boom is about 9 feet, with a snatch block and about 300 feet of 9/16 cable. I've got a set of chains for the rear duals, I don't use them much unless it's real steep or muddy. I really try to leave a light footprint, sometimes carrying them instead of skidding if I'm in a sensitive area. enjoy the heck out of reading and seeing different methods and machines on the forestry forum!

bigred1951

love the truck. Any more pics of it? 4 speed or auto

thecfarm

Not even a big dent in it,the bumper looks good. I'm just rough on stuff.

Pine Ridge

Thanks for the good words, I've got some more pictures i'll post soon. It's a 4 speed transmission with a 350 engine. She's got some dents and rough spots, I always cut out a skid trail and don't run over anything very big. I baby it around, if It is spinning I look for another option. It does get around pretty good, and the winch will sure pickup more than the truck will handle.

MikeON

I've used the front winch on a deuce and a half to pull some pretty big logs out of the woods.  It has 200' of 1/2" cable and I carry a few additional lengths.  I like to aim the truck toward a nearby tree and put a snatch block on that tree with a tree-saver strap.  This keeps the cable feeding into the winch at the correct angle that it doesn't bunch up one side.  Also handy for pulling down leaning trees after making the cuts.
Woodmizer LT40HD Super.  WM Single Blade Edger,  John Deere 4310 tractor, M35A2C Deuce and a Half truck

Redbark

Use my 1950 Dodge Power Wagon with it's factory 10 ton winch with snatch blocks.

ridge logger

Used 1941 GMC 6x6 for couple of years till I bought a skidder. I still use the old truck around the farm and for a backup  when needed

chester_tree _farmah

Nice. I had a friend - haven't seen him for years - who built a nice skiddah out of one of those old small Army trucks. I think it was a power wagon. Took the bed off and mounted a PTO winch and arch. Cut the fenders off. Put some big old tires on it. I think he even shortened the frame a bit. Welded nerf bars and skid plates here and there. Dropped a small block Chevy in it. Was pretty cool. He used it on his farm. All from stuff laying around his farm pretty much.  8)
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

celliott

Is it road legal?
I'd love to drive that down the road (or see it coming down the road)  8)
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Reddog

There was a FF member in the Yukon territories that used a winch truck. Don't think he has posted in a while.

Can't remember his user name now.   :-[

celliott

Quote from: Reddog on May 07, 2014, 06:18:33 PM
There was a FF member in the Yukon territories that used a winch truck. Don't think he has posted in a while.

Can't remember his user name now.   :-[

That would be fuzzybear.

Quote from: fuzzybear on January 30, 2013, 12:45:08 PM

I got tired of packing wood so I built this monster to haul the whole tree out to the landing.  I can pull out a little over 1 cord at a time in tree length.
FB

Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

ozarkgem

when I was a kid back in the 60's all they used around here anyway were old winch trucks. Beat to H&%$, no brakes , no glass, bald tires and thats all they had. Never saw a skidder till I got older. I think they must have used it for loading the logs also. Had pretty tall gin poles.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

ozarkgem

Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Pine Ridge

A few more pictures. She's not street legal, everything that's not necessary I've done away with, I put a trash sack over the seat when I'm done running for the day. Ridge logger I live on the other side of the creek from you, we talked at Jims mill about a year ago.

ozarkgem

Quote from: Pine Ridge on May 07, 2014, 08:47:51 PM
A few more pictures. She's not street legal, everything that's not necessary I've done away with, I put a trash sack over the seat when I'm done running for the day. Ridge logger I live on the other side of the creek from you, we talked at Jims mill about a year ago.

Where do you live? Can't be too far from me.

ridge logger

yes we visted at the mill a while back. thats a good looking truck . we will have to get together and cut  oneday whe both our schuedules will let us.

enigmaT120

That's a cool truck.  I've pulled a couple of hung-up trees out to my skid road with the Warn winch on my '81 Toyota, but it's an electric winch and I don't intend to make a regular practice of that.  I have a Koenig PTO winch to put on my '58 Chevy Napco pickup that will probably see similar use.  I don't expect to do much if any of my own logging except PC thinning, unless I wind up with a tractor with a winch.

Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

Pine Ridge

Ozarkgem I live in Chadwick, I've saw some of your posts and I'll bet we either know each other or some of the same people. The yellow International dumptruck I saw in one of your posts may be one we had at the county road department a few years back, the county had bought it from Modot. If it is I've put several miles on it myself,good truck. Ridge logger we'll have to do that one of these days! enigmat120 that pto winch will be plenty strong,I have to really pay attention because they will lift way more than my truck will handle.

ozarkgem

I went through there Sunday. I may be buying a place in Ava. Will know in a couple of weeks. Love that country. what kind of winch do you have on your truck. PTO or Hydraulic.

Thank You Sponsors!