iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

help cotton wood bark?

Started by SPIKER, March 30, 2006, 01:35:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SPIKER

hi guys & girls:

I posted a few new pics in my gallery for IDing help

I think this is cotton wood tree? not sure though no low branches for id and no leaves. soon I''ll get a pic of crown too

Just wondering WHAT kind of buggs these are on an old ELM I belive slippery or american elm varrity

ok anyhow thanks for viewing them

markM
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

SwampDonkey

Do you see any old leaves that are triangular shaped and with big teeth on the margins? If the leaves are more rounded and big toothed, it would be big toothed aspen.

I'de 'guess' the bottom pic has some elm bark beetle larva (seem too long), but don't rule out round-headed borers either.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SPIKER

hi SD:

not sure there is a lot of leaves, mostly crumpled pretty good, large leaves if I remember right, what I though was coton wood back then same shape for most part though.  is cotton wood any good for much?   any typical uses that they are good for?

nice tree size & shape 2~3 full logs on it for sure.   just wondering as the woods is a bit sparce after the ice damage & constant storms last 3 years..

markM

SwampDonkey

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SPIKER

unless I introduce it to mr saw  :o ::) :D

mark

SwampDonkey

Well, then ya got the twigs and buds.  ;D

Riles

Knowledge is good -- Faber College

SPIKER

Riles;  I think I lost my smeller today, I had to work most of the morning in 130 degree heat, 90% humidity.  (my 40+hr week job is in a porcelin factory) 

anyhow I sweated so much I think I melted out my ofactory sences  :D :o  smiley_airfreshener smiley_smelly_skunk

So what does cotton wood susposed to smell like?   

mark M

Riles

You'll have to make your own call on that one. I've found everybody things it smells like something different. You don't have to cut the tree down to find out, just grab a twig and twist it apart. I get the impression of dirty sweatsocks.

My dendro professor swears cherrylaurel smells like Dr Pepper.
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

Buzz-sawyer

When standing and alive it smells just like beaver castor!
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Furby

And we all know what that smells like! ;D ::)

SwampDonkey

I can see Buzz with his castor oil oilments. ;D :D

Thank You Sponsors!