iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Clamping near a sprocket

Started by cliffreaves, August 22, 2016, 11:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cliffreaves

This may be better in the the chainsaw forum, but the question came about through  milling.   I want to get the maximum width out of my Alaskan mill and currently I'm at about 28 1/2" using a 36" bar.  I'm wondering how close I can clamp to the sprocket without doing any damage.  I'd like to be at 30" if possible.   

cliffreaves

This is where I currently clamp.  Can I get close to the sprocket?

Czech_Made

I have seen chainsaw mills adapted to use bar studs - using extenders just like Logosol -  to attach to the saw, it looked like it would work much better than clamping the bar.

cliffreaves

I forgot to attach the picture last night.

Czech_Made

Aha, the other end :)

I say you can get closer, as long as you dont pinch the sprocket.

Joe Hillmann

I have seen someone here used a rare earth magnet to hold the end of the bar.  I don't know if that is strong enough or if it causes wear to the sprocket but it looked like it would work.

Czech_Made

Quote from: Joe Hillmann on August 24, 2016, 10:40:58 AM
I have seen someone here used a rare earth magnet to hold the end of the bar.  I don't know if that is strong enough or if it causes wear to the sprocket but it looked like it would work.

I use magnet to hold/stabilize the bar tip on my diy logosol mill, it could work on alaskan too, imho.

cliffreaves

The magnet sounds great, but I'd have trouble trusting it to hold when I'm standing behind it.  I'm sure it'd be fine, but I'd rather not chance it.  I'll keep inching it out until it doesn't work right.  Last night I had it at a little over 29" which was enough to do the job.

Kbeitz

magnets arnt what they use to be... I have some that would work.
The big problem would be trying to get them off if you wanted to
and atracting metal things that you did not want there.
Search Ebay for super magnets... Real finger pinchers.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

kensfarm

From what I remember..  I only used the one clamp on really wide stuff. 

Brucer

I can't remember exactly where mine was on the tip (sold it 10 years ago). What I did, though, was to clamp it without the chain mounted and try spinning the sprocket. As long as it moved freely I figure I was OK. After I'd tried the right spot at each end, I drilled a pair of 1/2" holes in the bar, and drilled and tapped the bottom of the posts for a 1/2" UNF thread. The bar stayed permanently attached to CSM.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

boscojmb

Hi,
The rivet in the center of your circle already has every thing clamped tight, adding a clamp in the same place will not hurt anything, and may give your rivet a much needed vacation.  ;D ;D ;D

John B
John B.

Log-Master LM4

Thank You Sponsors!