iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree Protection

Started by adirondack harvester, July 05, 2006, 10:03:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adirondack harvester

I was wondering what can be used to protect at-risk trees along skid trails from mechanical damage.  I was thinking about using some old tires but I was wondering if anyone knew of a product or a better way to go about it.

Phorester

First thing that comes to mind is, be careful with the skidder.  ;D 

Other thoughts, keep a low value tree between the at-risk tree and the skid trail so you will rub against the low value tree instead.  Loggers here will use a tree as a sacrificial bumper tree on the inside of curves that helps turn the logs.  These should be cut down at the end of the job. The landowner will think you are ruining his trees for no good reason.  Cut them down and he won't notice them. Tires will also work, but you can still rub off bark when the tire moves against the tree as the log moves against it.  Take them off when done.

Ron Wenrich

Log length skidding usually does a lot less damage than tree length skidding.  It takes a little more time in the bush, but makes for a better looking job.

Along with the rub tree, you could also put a few logs in place to act as barriers between your skid road and your trees.  Use low quality log or pole wood.

Time of year also has an impact on how much damage a tree can take before the bark sluffs off.  Spring time damage happens a lot quicker than during the dormant months.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Dale Hatfield

Trees left  undamaged is the differance between a Logger  and  a Skidder Driver.
Plan you timber sale so that  road system is  placed so that it does the least amount of damage  and to non timber species.
Having a plan  will keep  from the damage . Getting the most for the timber  your share my not be the best for your woodlot, In years to come.
I have found that if they paid more than most they usually dont leave much behind and what is left  well its unwanted and damaged.
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

adirondack harvester

I appreciate everyone's insight on this topic.  I use a farm tractor and winch for all my harvest so I think I do a pretty good job not to knock down and destroy everything in my path.  I do have most of the harvest pre-planned and try to remove "rub trees" when applicable.  The only problem is that I'm just reclaiming this one old road and there is just one tree that I see will be at risk so I was looking for the best protection method.  I don't really want to harvest this tree since it is a young tree with a lot of good growing years ahead.

rebocardo

> just one tree that I see will be at risk

What you can do on single trees is cut 3-4" saplings, 36 inches long, line them up around the tree, and then wrap a few cargo straps around them all and snug it into place with the ratchets. It is good for an accidently rub, not for doing it ten times in a row.

Kind of SOP for me when using a tree for a block/tackle. I put cut up saplings where the cable could cut into the tree before I wrap the cable for the block around the tree so I do not girdle the tree on a tough pull.

Ron Scott

Ditto! to all of the above. In some timber stands where we have allowed tree lengthing, the timber company has slit lengths of large plastic culverts or barrels and metal banded them around the "save" trees along the skid routes.

These have worked fairly well with occassional maintenance needed along the heavily used skid routes.

We primarily short wood with rubber tired forwarders for less stand damage in the selection harvests.
~Ron

Woodhog

I have a few pieces of old snowmobile belt . I put two short ropes about 3 feet long thru the holes in the belt and wrap them around the tree that looks like it might be damaged.

I dont use it a lot as I do every thing cut to length, with a winch and a loader, but everyonce in a while it comes in handy...

Sometimes it is impossible to protect all the trees you want to leave, you need eyes in the back of your head.

The incentive for doing a good job is fast disappearing around here as everyone is trying all the tricks in the book to keep afloat financially..

Just as I thought there was hope with some of the better silvaculture methods being used
I think the best management practices etc. are going to suffer big time as the iron goes back to the bankers by the flatbed load...

Ed_K

I uesd an old piece of snow fence wraped around and then stacked a couple of crotches against the fence. Then skid real careful around it, try to make a wide turn too. Or 10' or so plant a railroad tie as a bumper.
Ed K

hondo

Who are you guys working for that you can take all that time wrapping trees? Lay out your trails so that you protect the save trees with some that you can cut at the end of the job. Some of our big jobs we leave the bump trees along the skid trails so they are there next time we come back.
hondo

bkellyvtme

I cut the bottom out of a 5 gal bucket and cut it down the side and put it over the base of the tree. It is only good if you have a few trees you are concerned about though.

Thank You Sponsors!