iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pronghorn antelope

Started by mesquite buckeye, November 28, 2015, 01:48:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mesquite buckeye

A herd of about 30 near a dirt tank in the San Rafael Valley about 60 miles south of Tucson at about 4500' (not all visible in photo). These seem pretty people tolerant. I heard they reintroduced some recently as the local numbers had degraded pretty badly during the last drought.

The word is that they are adapted to predation by the extinct American cheetah. Nothing here now can catch them except a fast moving piece of lead, a moving vehicle or a barb wire fence.

Photo taken from a distance of about 40-50 yards.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Chuck White

Pronghorn are what you might call "Fast Food"!   ;D

They are good eating!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

sawguy21

I saw them in southern Alberta, as soon as I stopped to take a picture they were gone. The coyotes have had to get crafty, they sure can't catch one by conventional methods.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

tmarch

We have them here, great eyesight and hard to sneak up on, but some great fun to bowhunt.  I especially like decoying them during the rut, the bucks will either come running or take off and when they come in they are looking for a tussle.
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

clww

Great photo.
We drove over to OKC from eastern Colorado, through Kansas yesterday. Was looking for them but didn't see a single one.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

coxy

Quote from: Chuck White on November 28, 2015, 02:24:28 PM
Pronghorn are what you might call "Fast Food"!   ;D

They are good eating!
what do they taste like and don't tell me CHICKEN  :D

Chuck White

Sort of like Whitetail, but slightly milder!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

I prefer it over deer.  The only "wild meat" that I would consider better would be spike elk.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doctorb

I think, in an honest effort to be correct and not a PIA, that the pronghorn is its own species and is not a member of the antelope family.  Everyone refers to them as antelope, but, from what I learned when I was out west, they are not.  Ready to be "redirected" if need be... :D
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Magicman

You are correct doctorb.  Pronghorns are not antelopes and have no relatives.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mesquite buckeye

The weakness of common names. :(
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

sandhills

You don't have to get too far west of me and you start running into them, I've never hunted them but a few friends do every year, they mostly set up around water sources in open country otherwise they're hard to sneak up on.

petefrom bearswamp

My limited experience with Pronghorn is in the Daniel WYO are with a friend from Jackson
I went 3 times and we just rode around until we found a herd that didnt run and shot our limit this way.
twice it took all day, the other we limited out in a couple of hrs.
Not much sport a little like woodchuck hunting here in NY.
Did enjoy the meat tho.
This was a side diversion to Elk hunting which WAS sporting.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Chuck White

You're right Doc, Pronghorn is it's own species!   :P

Lynn, I have always heard that Elk is "THE" best venison out there, but I just never had a chance to try it!   :'(

barbender

Chuck, trying some elk should become a priority ;)
Too many irons in the fire

tmarch

A good "antelope" is as good as elk, but a bad one is really bad.  We take ours with bows and don't run them.  Bring them home after field dressing and run a lawn sprinkler on them over night to cool them and keep the flies off.  works great  8) 8)
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

Magicman

Actually Chuck, in my opinion, elk is the best and the worse.  An old rank bull has to be smelled to be believed.  Even when properly cared for, it is bad.

petefrom bearswamp

My big game wild meat preference in order
Moose
Whitetail I eat the most of this obviously
Elk I once got a very old herd cow and had trouble cutting the gravy
Mule Deer
Pronghorn
Caribou
Black Bear
It is all darned good if butchered and prepared properly
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV