iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hydraulic chain saw

Started by weirmeister, November 06, 2011, 09:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weirmeister

I have been contemplating constructing my own hydraulic chain saw.  It seems that like everything, there is allot to consider.  Motor size how to attach the sprocket to the motor shaft how to adjust the chain tension just to name a few challenges. 

I know there are companies that make these set-ups but they are out of my price range.  Anyone build one these set-ups from scratch???

I want to have a least a 30 inch bar.

Doug

T Welsh

weirmeister, we have one on our built rite firewood processor with a 30" bar. are you going to use it as a cut off saw or some other idea. the saw has a lot of power behind it and will blow through a 20" log in about 6 or 8 seconds. we also have a hyd. hook up on the bucket truck for hyd. attachments  and the pole saw that came with the bucket is to heavy to use and the hyd. lines always get in the way. Tim

stumper

The proposed use will be the key thing to know.  I removed all the hydraulic chainsaws from all our trucks because they did not have chain brakes.  At the time I could not find any that did have brakes.  Hydraulic pole saws, and processor saws do not need brakes. 

I would strongly recomend against anyone trying to design there own chain brake or adapt a chain brake from something else.

john Green

here is a good looking homemade hydraulic chainsaw mite be of some help to you,

it tells you all about the building of it at   http://woodprocessor.blogspot.com/2011/01/blog-post_7524.html

shelbycharger400

thats goin to help me on my next slabber as it will be full hydro!

Thank You Sponsors!