iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

how to set temp on central boiler

Started by BillNH, December 26, 2011, 08:19:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillNH

I have a central boiler 2400 and it seems to me that it's been running just fine, but my oil burner comes on for a short cycle (2-3 minutes) multiple times a day. This did not happen last year. My heating guy thinks because my wood is a little greener this year I should raise my low temperature from 178 to 182.

1. Do you think this would solve my problem?
2. How do I do it? I have looked for my owner's manual and can't find it.

Thanks!

mojamboo

We just installed a 2400 this fall. we found that keeping our temperature at 190-183 with a 50sec puff every 10 minutes keeps our boiler running beautifully. took us a bit to find the combination that works for the changing weather but we have had 40 degree days and 1 degree days and it seems to work really well. we are in Vermont and there are a lot of factors that can effect your boilers performance, wood, temp, demand on the system...ect so i wouldn't be surprised if you may need a tweak to your settings to get your boiler to work for you.

to change the water temperature set point press the menu button and while pressing it press the up or down arrow (up to raise down to lower set point).

If you want to change the temperature range like ours is only 7 degrees that is in the setup menu. to get to the set up menu press and hold the menu button for 10 seconds press the up or down arrows till the number 1 is displayed then the current setting will display it should say 10 if you want to lower it press the down arrow then hit the menu button to return. if you don't touch a button for a bit the display will go back to the normal display. the number 2 in the setup menu is the puff frequency time like i said ours is 10. the number 3 in the setup menu is the puff length.

hope this helps. if you have other questions i will try to help.

buckgrunt

I have the previous model of the E-classic (2300).   A temperature setting of 172 seems rather low. I have mine set at 185.  If you are not familiar with the 2300, at the 185 setting. The blower turns on at 180 and then goes into "High" if he temp goes down to 175. 

What is your oil furnace temp set at ?  Mine is set at 160.  My OWB water temp never gets this low during the wood burning season, therefore, my oil furnace nevers turns on.   

doctorb

I think the problem is that, when your OWB is at the low end of your current temp range, it's too close to the kick on temp of your oil furnace.  I would lower temp set on your oil burner 5 degrees, and increase the temp for the OWB to 185-195.  The problem should go away. Remember that there is heat lost from the OWB to your basement, making one temp become very close to the other, hence, the brief period of oil burner ignition.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

BillNH

I tried hitting the menu  button but it only gave me the high temp which I don't want to change. Now I have reread your post and will try the holding of the button, etc. later on. I'll let you know how it goes! Thanks!

doctorb

Bill-

I, too, have a 2300.  It is entirely possible that your 2400 has an upgraded, newer version of the controller, and may not work exactly as the 2300's do.  You can call CB as well for help with programing issues, if the suggestions above don't help and you can't find the anser in the owner's manual.

I believe that the high temp is 10 degrees above the low temp by factory settings.  This difference can be altered through programing as well.  Why don't you want to raise your high temperature?  I run my stove at 185-195 to deliver water of at least 180 degrees into my basement.  there is no problem increasing this temp to these levels and it would solve your problem, IMO.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

BillNH

Thanks for all the advice! I lowered the range from 14 to 8 and also lowered the water temp in my indoor oil boiler by 5 more degrees and I think I'm all set now. My dealer said I should do 185 and 170 and thought 192 was very hot. But judging from the info here, I'm not worried about that. I am enjoying the silence of not hearing my oil burner kicking on!

JJ

Hi,
I run my e-2300 at 189F for set point.   It stays cleaner at the higher temp.

JJ

Thank You Sponsors!