iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Taurus Judge

Started by Paper Maker, August 09, 2012, 12:03:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paper Maker

I've got a bad cace of the wants and my wife of 17 years is showing no interest in it at all.
     I'm thinking of adding a new addition to the family gun safe. (Taurus Judge)

Has  anyone ever shot one enough to have formed an opinion, good or bad  I would love to hear it. A friend of mine said he couldn't hit a pie plat at 25yrds. Is the gun truly that wild I hope not.  If you have any comments I would love to hear them. sling_shot      Marcus

Raider Bill

I believe SC Smith has one. I know we discussed them once before but a search did not bring up the thread.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Magicman

My search did not find it either but DanG brought up the question.  There is another "look alike" that maybe had better reviews.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishpharmer

The "judge" may have been discussed in "gun talk" topic in full membership board.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

LOGDOG

I've been eyeing the Taurus Raging Judge myself. Can't find one in this town though ... even at Bass Pro Shops. For some reason I haven't   completely bought into it yet. Texas Ranger turned me on to the Smith & Wesson Governor as well. It will shoot the .45 ACP as well which is a good bit cheaper to shoot. From what I can tell, the Judge has a rifled barrel which causes the shot from the .410 shells to spread quickly once exiting the barrel. Quite a few videos on YouTube though that you can watch of people shooting multiple cartridges. That .454 Casull cartridge looks strong. Lots of recoil though. Right now my mind is thinking I can spend my money on something I'd enjoy shooting more .... like an AR ....

....and yes, we discussed the Judge and the Governor in the Gun Thread.  ;)

scsmith42

I have one and I like it a lot.  It's one of the older ones with a long barrel (8" or thereabouts), and I can hit a 12" target at 75 yards with it (.45 long colt cartridge), and that's with open sights....

The recoil is not bad at all.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Texas Ranger

Gun Test magazine rates the Taurus higher than the Smith, kind of a marginal sort of thing.  Take your pick, I find it a handful, never shot one, but I have other stuff that does the same job.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

trapper

only a single shot but my contender has a choke in the barrel to straighten the shot charge and has a good pattern. have to remove choke to shoot 45lc.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

saltydog

Look up hickock45 on youtube he shoots lots of  rounds through one some are loaded just for the judge.
Proud to be a self employed logger.just me my Treefarmer forwader Ford f600 truck 2186 Jonsereds 385 and 390 husky and several 372s a couple 2171s one 2156  one stihl 066  Hudson bandmill Farquhar 56"cat powered mill.and five kids one wife.

Autocar

My wife and myself have our conceal carry permitts, I am planning on getting a Judge and then she can shot it to see how the recoil acts. I feel that if you ever have to use it your going to be pretty rattled so the 410 may help to cover your target.
Bill

Raider Bill

Pretty big frame to be carrying around concealed but small enough and with enough power that in a car jacking situation I'd think a .410 out the door window would ruin someones day. Would be a nice piece for a car gun if your Wife has to drive into "Indian country".
Turns out my Son has one but he has never shot it. Seems it was one of those "a Buddy needed $$" so he got it cheap but hasn't taken it to the range yet.

LOGDOG

They make smaller frame judges to that aren't much bigger than my snub nose .38.  ;)

Paper Maker

I checked out hickock45 on youtube and it was a very informative video. The Judge isn't the cats meow I thought it was. I think it would be a great self defense gun but not the snake gun I was wanting it for. I did stop today and price them though. They range from $499 to $550 for the 3" stainless model. I think for now though, I'm going to put it on the back burner. Thanks for the info.       Marcus

LOGDOG

I carry a .38 with rat shot loaded in it for snakes. Haven't met a snake yet that could stand up to it.  ;)

Cypressstump

If you are looking for a snake gun, I'd opt for a semi auto that could be used for other uses as well.

I love my 1911 .45. A bit heavy for a daily carry gun, but if you run outta bullets, (7 +1), you can always use the thing as a battering ram. Very stout.

My snake gun for down here in the swamps / rivers is a S&W .40 Sigma, 14 rounds. I bought it used from a cop friend for 200 bucks, holster,4 mags, 500 rounds of various flavors. It's stainless and polymer, no rusting issues. It is also a very light weapon. Altho it still gets cleaned once used and especially if gotten wet.
I use some CCI rounds that are flat nosed, with bird shot, I believe #7 0r #9 shot. The round cycles out and loads great, never had a hangup. It will pepper a snake stone dead out to 40 feet farily easy with a good pattern. Funny how snakes react to getting whacked with the fine shot, they tend to just lie there as if not even hit. That fine shot pins them to the ground it seems.
I usually load up the bottom rounds in the clip with either soft nose or hollow point and the top 2-3 with the fine shot.
Last year while cleaning out a food plot, I whacked 32 cottonmouths with that rig.
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

LOGDOG

32 cottonmouths?  :o That'll keep a guy on his toes. Our Northern members can't appreciate what it's like to have that element underfoot at any given moment. I can't stand those cottonmouths!

Raider Bill

If I saw that many snakes I'd have a heart attack before my gun cleared leather ;)

LOGDOG

I remember the first time I was walking my place prior to buying it. I nearly stepped on a great big cottonmouth. My wife hollered "Snake!". I'm like, "Where?!?!?" By that time I was practically on top of the DanG thing. I about came out of my skin. I swear every whisker on my face and neck stood straight up. That put this young Yankee on high alert from then forward.  :o

Cypressstump

They are some things that I am really careful about, wreckless texting drivers, mad females, too much alcohol and Cottonmouths........ ;)

I built a foodplot for my 84 year old Mom, believe it or not...this is on my 10 acres of land, of which 8.5 is pure cypress swamp. In the swamp area, there is a ridge of dry ground that runs thru it, usually stays dry until this time of year, hurricane season, when the river rises and backfills the swamps with new tidal water.

When I cleared out the area it was mainly downfalls, brambles and misc smaller undergrowth. It was a haven for the snakes as it was dry ground surrounded by swamp.  I had it completed for 2010 deer season. During the initial clearing, the snakes were everywhere. I don't normally kill the snakes for the sake of killing them,heck they gotta make a living too,but in the case where my Mom is going to be exposed, they gotta go.

Here's the old girl at the box stand I built for here in the swamp.

This is a little 5 point buck she killed last year, shooting my .270 Ruger. She made the local Baton Rouge paper, a cable sports show and got this picture in a small outdoors hunting magazine in the area. She took an old doe the year before.

BTW- the 32 fangers were not kiled all at one time, over a period of 3 weeks or so, the most I think in one day in there was 6.
Stump

Case 586E 6k forklift
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

Autocar

Great to see your mother having a good time  ;).
Bill

Magicman

I'll also bet that your Mom is a good cook.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Paper Maker

Cypressstump do you use a .45 on the Mosquitos also. With that much swamp I bet you have some nice ones.  laugh_at

submarinesailor

I will never forget the day the Navy team I was on down in Kingsbay, GA had a small, team only fishing tournament – $5 entry, with 50% for the most fish and 50% for biggest fish.  We were fishing on the Big Satilla River up near Waycross, GA.  BTW – it was a very pretty river.  Anyways, the thing I will never forget about the trip was the number of snakes, read that as cottonmouths, I killed with my .357.  After I ran out of shotshells, I had a little harder time hitting them. Do you know how hard it is to hit a moving/swimming snake?  Not fun when it is swimming straight at you. I can't remember the exact number, but remember that I killed more snakes then I caught fish.  I know I caught 10 or more redbreasts, shellcrackers, spotted sunfish and bluegills.  Sure was glad I brought my pistol with me.

Bruce

jdtuttle

QuoteIf you have any comments I would love to hear them.       Marcus
My brother & I are going to the northern Idaho Panhandle on an bow elk hunt in a few weeks, (grizzly country) & he's carrying the Taurus Judge. I just bought the Springfield Armory XD 45 cal. Mine is more accurate & carries 10 + 1 rounds, the Taurus carries 5. Now you can get in a discussion on the difference of reliability between a revolver & semi-auto. I would say your choice depends on your use. The XD is lightweight and accurate. We're also taking bear spray & hope I don't see a grizzly.
Jim
Have a great day

Cypressstump

speaking of grizz's,, I went on a 6 day float salmon trip out of Kenai Alaska a few years back. Lots of Grizzly there and there had been several attacked and two deaths the month prior to my arrival.
At the outfitters store in Anchorage, I asked about bear spray, also what firearm was mostly used on the bear. The man asked if I was going with others, I relied, Yes 3 more. He showed me a little .22 derringer pistol. He said here, this is light weight, very small, and 2 shots. When the Grizz gets after you boys, you shot the least liked friend in the knee and haul azz...

We did not encounter any bear up too close, and the ones we did see were curious, but a shout or two would discourage them. I guess they musta just ate.
Stump

Case 586E 6k forklift

Thank You Sponsors!