iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood weight loss

Started by Woodhog, April 10, 2003, 07:02:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhog

Our local mill buys saw logs by weight...

I would like to know how much weight my spruce logs are
losing after they are cut and laying around waiting for the
truck.

I only sell about 4 thousand at one time and they usually lay around for about 10 days before they are picked up...

Is there anyway to tell the loss in weight per thousand per unit of time spent laying in the woods waiting for the truck..

I realize that the temperature has a lot to do with it as well
as the wind etc...

Would it be worth it to cover the pile with a cheap plastic tarp???

Thanks

Jeff

A sawmill is buying your sawlogs by weight?  I think I would sell somewhere else.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Scott

I assume that you are talking about pulpwood, but you did say only 4 thousand feet at a time. It's usually best to get it to the mill as soon as possible after cutting for maximum weight. There will be some weight loss if excessive drying conditions of wind and temperature are prevalent.

On the other hand wood decked out in a good rain or wet spell will be in your favor. Not worth the effort of covering the wood decks before hauling as the loads will average out.

Some have been known to stop by the car wash or a water spray to water down their loads on the way to the mill for maximum weight in their favor. ;) Don't know how much difference it makes over all though. The mill usually comes out ahead in the end with deductions etc. as they know "the tricks of the trade"

~Ron

beenthere

I don't think logs lose moisture through the surface very quickly (there are no drying checks on the surface if the bark is left on). The loss of moisture is mainly at the log ends, and I doubt it is very much in 10 days. If you want to keep the moisture in (and stop end checking for who-ever is going to saw the logs for lumber) then coat the ends with anchor seal, or something similar. Probably wouldn't pay its way for the cost of your time and materials. How to find out the weight loss?  Cut a section of log and hang it up on a scale and watch it for a couple weeks. It will give you the loss from the log ends which isn't directly proportional to a full length log, but you will have some numbers for log ends.

And Jeff has a good suggestion to consider.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

My problem is that logs vary so greatly in weight from site to site. As to losing weight, Aspen for example, in the late spring, will lose a trmendous amont of weight in 10 days after processing. Mostly do to the fact that is loses a lot of its bark. We see it in our mill chip to. A van that is sent immediattly after filling in the summer, will weigh more then one (consistantly) that sat say from thursday, till delivery the next week.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!