iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cookies

Started by Good Feller, July 02, 2008, 06:46:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Good Feller

I'm wondering what cookies are?  NOT the kind you eat either.  I've heard of guys talking about using cookies for felling trees.  I guess it's some sort of a wedge?  So how do you make them and why do you use them?  If someone could draw a picture that would be great!  Thanks!
Good Feller

zackman1801

a cookie is just a thin section of a log once you cross cut it, so its essentialy a small little circle of wood, usually a few inches in thickness. some people insert them into the  the back of the cut to jack up the tree when wedges alone arent enough, ive never had to do it but i have enough wedges to to put most trees over.
"Improvise, Adapt, OVERCOME!"
Husky 365sp 20" bar

DR_Buck

And I thought this post was about food.  ;D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Woodhog

Another use is for filling in holes and bumps around rocks etc for your woods road.

They are flat and dont roll around under your wheels when you run over them..

We also call them washers....

After you get your wood out you can pick them up and burn them in your stove, they split up easy as they are not very  thick...

Ron Scott

On my last timber sale, the landowner had the logger saw him a couple large cookies about 5 inches thick from a large sentinel white pine tree on his property.

He is now having the local Amish woodworkers make them into tables as a sentimental remembrance from his long owned family property.

I also had a red pine trepass case where the judge required a number of cookies be brought into court as evidence of the trees growth and age. Cookies from trees can have a number of uses. ;)
~Ron

Onthesauk

"Cookies from trees can have a number of uses."

Here in the Northwest we cut cookies from western red ceder and use them for steps in the flower gardens.  Nice size, nice color.  Then, because of all our rain, they get a little moss on them and become slicker then ****.  You step on them, your feet go out from under you and you end up flat on your back!  Don't ask me how I know this.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Ron Scott

Yes, I've seen them used as patio blocks also. You need to wear your caulked boots. ;)
~Ron

Mr Mom

Thoese are not cookies there beaver biscuts....... ;D ;D ;D.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

Phorester

Beaver biscuits... I like that better than calling them cookies.

TexasTimbers

In the right hands cookies become beautiful platters, plates, bowls, clocks, tables, and all manner of cool stuff. 

Beaver biscuits. That there be neat. Beaver pancakes when they are really thin. Even thinner? Beaver crepes. ;D
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: TexasTimbers on July 04, 2008, 11:02:17 AM
In the right hands cookies become beautiful platters, plates, bowls, clocks, tables, and all manner of cool stuff. 

Beaver biscuits. That there be neat. Beaver pancakes when they are really thin. Even thinner? Beaver crepes. ;D

Even thinner, Beaver crumbs  ::)

leweee

just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

routestep

Cookies are a way of a website tagging your computer at home so that its easier for the website to find your computer. I think computer hackers also use cookies somehow to get into your computer. That's about all I know of cookies. I'm hungry now, off to the kitchen for a snack, hopefully with milk.

Phorester

I have two cookies - er, beaver biscuits - that I use in talks with youngsters.  One is about 13" diameter, the other one about 1" diameter.  They are both from 23 year old trees.  I use them to illustrate the difference in growth of trees in a managed forest versus an unmanaged forest.  Raises the eyebrows of adults too.

rebocardo

The problem of using cookies instead of wedges is they can break under the weight and the tree falls the wrong way.

I use cookies as wedges when cutting rounds, because that way when the cookie falls :-D  I do not feel bad when it hits the running chain, gets chewed up, or flies 15 feet into a pile of leaves.

I used wooden $0.01 cookies to get even bigger cookies, these $35.00 oak cookies I did yesterday are 5" thick by 37" diameter. I suspect they will eventually be called table tops :-D

beenthere

rebo
The growth rate is pretty good on those 37" diam cross-sections (cookies?).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Phorester

Very pretty pattern Recarbo.

On cookies with a stain such as these, does that interfere with the adhesion of varnish or other coating you use on the completed table?

Dodgy Loner

Finishing shouldn't be a problem with those cookies.  The "stain" you refer to is what I call "heartwood" ;).  Looks like water oak to me.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Phorester

I'm seeing the heartwood as a distinct defined circle of dark brown wood in the center of the tree.  I'm refering to the light gray wavy edged wood, which I wonder is the beginnings of heartrot or another bacterial or fungal stain.

Or is this wavy edged circle how heartwood looks in water oak? Water oak is pretty much nonexistant up here, and even at that I've never seen the inside of one before.   ;D

thedeeredude

Our pin oak looks like that a lot.

rebocardo

> another bacterial or fungal stain

Yes, on the rough cut boards 32"x32"x5" it shows up. I do not know exactly what it had, but, it had mushrooms and other fungus growing from under the bark. It certainly smells, my wife asked what the horrible smell was from the garage and I told her it was money  :D

I am pretty sure it was water oak going by the book I.D..

Thank You Sponsors!