iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Horse damaged trees

Started by Qweaver, March 12, 2009, 04:51:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

My cousin Lois has four horses that have chewed the bark off of about 10 big poplar trees over this past winter.  I've never seen that before and we had horses in the pasture next to our land for years.  My problem is in deciding how to safely get these trees on the ground.  I'm afraid that those high limbs are going to make working under the trees a real danger.  I'm thinking that leaving a big hinge and pulling them down with the dozer from a safe distance may be the best way.  What do you think?
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

FTD

Can you clarify why the branches are going to be a problem?

Corley5

If the chewing just happened this winter the trees will still be green and the tops shouldn't be brittle already.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

SwampDonkey

Qweaver, are the trees truely girdled to wood? I've seen horses chew bark, but only the outer dead bark on sugar maple. They were horses that were very confined in a small coral. The trees were not harmed. Kinda like paper birch shedding that outer dead white layer. Someone that knows more about horses can make a comment on why they do it. I think they are looking for something sweet, maybe someone spoiled them with candy. ;) My uncle used to get feed with molasses in it.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

cheyenne

It just may be there bored. Need to be riden....Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

ErikC

Horses will kill trees with no question. They seem to like white oaks around here, they eat to bare wood from the ground to as high as they can reach sometimes, but it doesn't seem they like black oaks. They nibble at pine a little, kill cedars, and will cut a fir tree to the ground. They do it out of boredom, a lack of minerals in their diet or just plain orneriness. A horse's job, after all, is to make our life more difficult. ;D
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

john plowden

Mineral deficiency for sure -
How does a horse make your life more difficult?
John

ErikC

It isn't necessarily a mineral deficiency, it can become a habit, usually related to boredom or stress. I deal with horses almost every day, thousands over my life,  and own 5 horses and mules of my own besides. So while I enjoy them my view is a little less rosy than some. They are expensive, destructive and dangerous. I hope everybody gets more of them. ;D
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

John Woodworth

If you have the room and the dozer is big enough you ought yo take them out stump and all either be pushing with the blade or using a tag line and pulling them over, you put a line 16' or so and they will come over easy.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

Kcwoodbutcher

I turn horses loose in my sawlog yard, they make great debarkers. They seem to like hedge , white oak and ash the best, but I have seen them eat plenty of walnut, honey locust and even shagbark hickory. They don't seem to care for red oak much. The cause is still just speculation. I have heard a mineral imbalance but all these horses have access to a mineral block. It is probably a combination of factors.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

Kevin

Too much hinge and the trees will barber chair.

crtreedude

Quote from: ErikC on March 12, 2009, 08:50:37 PM
  It isn't necessarily a mineral deficiency, it can become a habit, usually related to boredom or stress. I deal with horses almost every day, thousands over my life,  and own 5 horses and mules of my own besides. So while I enjoy them my view is a little less rosy than some. They are expensive, destructive and dangerous. I hope everybody gets more of them. ;D

Here is a man who knows his horses! We have 12 the last time I checked. Though lack of minerals perhaps can get them started, some of them just like to do it - and will soon teach others to do the same.

We had one horse who learned to untie fences - and you could see the other horses trying to pick up pointers.  >:(
So, how did I end up here anyway?

timberfaller390

Quote from: Kcwoodbutcher on March 13, 2009, 01:18:50 AM
I turn horses loose in my sawlog yard, they make great debarkers. They seem to like hedge , white oak and ash the best, but I have seen them eat plenty of walnut, honey locust and even shagbark hickory. They don't seem to care for red oak much. The cause is still just speculation. I have heard a mineral imbalance but all these horses have access to a mineral block. It is probably a combination of factors.
I don't know about the bark but walnut and cherry leaves are toxic to horses.
I will fully back you up on all these statements
Quote from: crtreedude on March 13, 2009, 07:59:38 AM

Here is a man who knows his horses! We have 12 the last time I checked. Though lack of minerals perhaps can get them started, some of them just like to do it - and will soon teach others to do the same.

We had one horse who learned to untie fences - and you could see the other horses trying to pick up pointers.  >:(
If you get one that figures out a new way to annoy you he will have the rest doing it in short order.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Burlkraft

2 words..............Tasty BBQ   digin_2   digin_2
Why not just 1 pain free day?

crtreedude

Quote from: Burlkraft on March 13, 2009, 08:56:46 AM

two more words

very tempting...
So, how did I end up here anyway?

ErikC

What crtreedude and timberfaller390 said about horses teaching each other bad habits is sure true. I had 4 that didn't chew at all, then got one who did. Now all 5 chew. The first few days you could see them all standing there studying the one who was new. Then 3 would watch while 2 chewed. Then 2 watch while 3 chew. Pretty soon they're all chewing. ::)
  I have noticed horses, dogs and kids have very similar traits, and are easily influenced by peer pressure. ;)

Quote from: crtreedude on March 13, 2009, 09:14:40 AM
Quote from: Burlkraft on March 13, 2009, 08:56:46 AM
two more words

very tempting...

Many times people with worthless horses ask me what to do. I have told some of them this horse isn't worthless, you could use him to make friends out of the whole neighborhood. Invite them all over for a big BBQ and don't tell 'em what it is. The worthless horse is gone, and your whole side of town thinks you're a great guy. It's Win Win  ;D ;D

SwampDonkey

Archie: "Look at this, New York  cuts. You whipped up a real winner tonight little goyle."

Mike: "No Archie, New Jersey cuts."

Edith: "MMM, I never seen meat so lean before, what is it?."

Archie: "Steak Edith, STEA..K!"

:D :D

Archie:"Edith? Is there any left over meat from supper tonight? I don't know what has come over me tonight. I'm so hungry I could eat a horse"

Edith: "Coming right up Archie." ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

CLL

Have been farm manager on horse farms for years, trees always need to be protected. Like Erik its not a mineral deficiency, I personally think its more likely out of boredom. They especially like softwood bark and pine boards. YUMMY!!!
Too much work-not enough pay.

cheyenne

I had a pinto stallion that was a cribber & I tried everything to cure it. So I said lets try hot sauce! Dang fool loved it. Tried bear grease he loved it. Tried hanging all kinds of pelts on the stall, nothing. So one day a friend says "hey" Cheyenne want a goat? "yeah" why not. That horse and goat became best friends & were inseprable. The horse never cribbed again.....Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

WH_Conley

I have heard that you can give them a ball to play with. Next step would be horse-b-que. Guaranteed one of them will fix. ;D
Bill

Dale Hatfield

the eat bark out of boredom. I would wiat till they have killed the tree before wacking them  err well ya cutting firewood/lumber would depend on when ya cut em However If ya do it this spring .I would look for normal overhead hazards .But wouldnt worry about tree as a whole unless you give me a better reason than horse crew bark off.
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

indiaxman1

Let neighbor put two of his Arabians in my front field...after girdling several sweetgums, (no problem-sweetgums are trash trees around here), they started on my white oaks (problem!)...moved them out..my feelings on horses..would like to have a big old Belgium to haul logs...but otherwise, unless I can bet on them at the track...useless hay burners

tw3006

Guys and Gals I came across this in my travels through the net, thought it may help out with this post so I thought i'd share it. Seems like a fair deal. Although i dont know if it is real or not

http://nh.craigslist.org/lbs/1050673381.html

WH_Conley

That's OK. I quit smoking 4 days ago, 3 packs a day to none, cold turkey. Just show me the horse and a bottle of steak sauce, I'll dispose of it. ;D
Bill

timberfaller390

I don't know how it is in NH but in every state I have dealt with livestock in (which is quiet a few) You have to be a licensed vet to "legally" euthanize an animal for some one else and in some states your not aloud to euthanize any domesticated animal without being a vet so this guy could get into trouble.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

ErikC

That's the way it is here. Not even your own animal, technically. Most ignore that part, but doing it for others, for money, would be pretty risky.

slowzuki

Up here the old timers used to cut poplar or aspen for the work horses to chew the bark off of.  My sisters horse like old willows, but I hear they have tylenol like effects.

SwampDonkey

Willow and aspen have ASA (aspirin) as do high bush cranberry, not Tylenol.  ;)

Bill_G

I think you might find they chew poplar bark because it's a natural wormer, at least thats what some old teamsters thought.

Thank You Sponsors!