iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Learning timber framing

Started by DragonsBane, June 11, 2005, 11:18:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonsBane

I am an experienced carpenter looking to build a new house and I am seriously considering timber framing. I really don't know much about the whole subject. Where would be a good point to start? Are the books by Todd Bensen any good? All help will be greatly appreciated.
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object envinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."

De Opresso Liber.

JoeyLowe

:)

Hi DragonsBane and welcome to the forum.  Any of the books by Sobon or Benson are good places to start.  In addition, you may consider any of the threads on this forum as a good "practical" since many of the posters here started their first frames based on information passed back and forth.  There is a substanial learning curve, but once you understand the basics and start chopping wood, the knack comes pretty quick.  Another good resource is the Timber Framers Guild located at www.tfguild.org.  They are also a good educational resource.  If you are looking to have someone else design and or build your frame for you, then the Internet provides many links to companies that do just that.

Your post indicated that you are an experienced carpenter, so I assume that working with wood is not new to you.  That being said, timber framing is a little different in that the "sticks" are much larger and require some different handling tactics.  Anyway, welcome again and have a great weekend.
--
Joey Lowe

"Working towards perfection has to be a part of anything one does.  You've got to put yourself into it." ... Sam Maloof (chairmaker)

Thank You Sponsors!