iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood ID help

Started by Osric, April 21, 2008, 08:28:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Osric

I found a (relatively) dry piece of the out lumber I purchased recently and was hoping wiser heads than mine can figure out what it is.  Here are some pictures...I rubbed a little water in it on a couple of the pictures to help bring out the grain and color.  Any ideas?

Tom

Looks a bit like flat sawed sycamore.

Osric

I always figured sycamore was whiter for some reason.  It has a reddish tint?

Tom

Sycamore is known for its elegant pink shade.  Yes a lot of it can be white.

(I've been known to be wrong too.) :D

woodbeard

Either that, or maybe beech.
Can you get a pic of the edge or the ends?
Is it hard, soft, heavy, light, etc.  ???

Greg Cook

It does resemble Sycamore.  See any water running out of it? :D

Greg
"Ain't it GOOD to be alive and be in TENNESSEE!" Charlie Daniels

WDH

I am in the sycamore camp.  Does it have very large distinct rays?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

I'd have to side with sycamore. The wood is too dark for our white hardwoods (S maple, beech, Y birch).
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Osric

Sycamore does make sense.  I'm in SE Ohio, so we have scads of them popping up all over the place. 

ARKANSAWYER

Naw! that's not sickymore.  DanG thing is flat.  Looks a tad like coffee tree.
ARKANSAWYER

schmism

im in the sycamore camp.

but my close second guess would be pear.  (bradford?)
039 Stihl 010AV  NH TC33D FEL, with toys

Dodgy Loner

A close-up of the end grain is needed for a positive ID.  But my first guess would be sycamore, possibly beech.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Greg

Color sure looks Beech-y.

But hard to tell from just pics.

Haven't seen enough sycamore to make an educated guess on that...

Greg

SwampDonkey

Not close-up enough in your board pictures, but beech would have medium pore streaks (short dark lines) not course like oak on flat sawn surfaces. And unaided eye viewable rays, but not as broad as oak.

Flat sawn surface of beech, showing pores coming to the surface.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

oakiemac

My guess would be elm or Sycamore.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Greg

Quote from: SwampDonkey on April 22, 2008, 06:04:49 PM
Not close-up enough in your board pictures, but beech would have medium pore streaks (short dark lines) not course like oak on flat sawn surfaces. And unaided eye viewable rays, but not as broad as oak.

Flat sawn surface, showing pores coming to the surface.

Yep, very distinctive rays. Nice reference pic.

I take it back, not beech. I don't see any hint of that in the photo.

Greg

WDH

It doesn't have the beech ring pattern.  Coffeetree is ring porous, so that does not fit.  A dead ringer for sycamore.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!