iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hydraulics on LT40

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, August 18, 2016, 09:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

ok...opinion time.

Monday morning I picked up a 36 inch x 8 foot green Red Oak log.
It was a load.
I could smell the smell of something getting hot.
I have the right amount of ATF in the pump.

Ever since then my HD functions are really slow.

Have I damaged the brushes? I just replaced them 8 months ago.
Thanks.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

@~3600 lbs, you were within the weight limits of the loader.  The "smell" is kinda confusing because the motor is sealed.  You need to look at some voltage and current (amp) readings.  The first places that I would want to eliminate are your sliding ground and contact button/strip.  If either if them were weak, they would be something that you could smell.  That also could prevent you from getting the full voltage to your solenoid & pump motor.  Just take it step by step.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I did fail to post that I did clean the strip. Gonna check all the connections in the morning and run voltage.
Thanks Lynn.

customsawyer

Check the voltage at your alternator also. When you  are pushing the limits of the hyd. it will let you know where the weak spots are.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Luke_Eames

I've had slow hydraulics on my LT40 and it was an electrical issue.  The wire from my alternator was burning out inside and the engine wasn't kicking up when hitting the hydraulics.  When loading the big logs the electrical system tends to find all the weak spots....
Wood Mizer LT-70 Super Wide
Wood Mizer EG200
Cat IT18

Ga Mtn Man

Did you figure out what the issue was? ???
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on August 22, 2016, 01:45:01 PM
Do you figure out what the issue was? ???

No....I think its the motor.

Ga Mtn Man

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

4x4American

I remember awhile back Bandmill Bandit said something about the alternator belt that WM uses is sub-par, could you be smoking that belt?  Is the belt at proper tension?

About this hot smell, could you further describe what kind of hot you are talking about?  Are we talking Nancy Sinatra or more along the lines of Carrie Underwood?
Boy, back in my day..

ellmoe

Quote from: 4x4American on August 22, 2016, 08:15:47 PM

About this hot smell, could you further describe what kind of hot you are talking about?  Are we talking Nancy Sinatra or more along the lines of Carrie Underwood?

4 x 4 , you're 24 years old, what do you know about Nancy Sinatra "HOT". I, on the other hand, remember those "boots that were made for walkin "!   ;)
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on August 22, 2016, 07:48:16 PM
Are you still able to saw?

Yes, I'm still sawing. The HD is just slow and I can smell the motor. The motor gets has hot as a firecracker.
The last time it got like this the brushes needed replaced.
I called WM today and ordered new brushes and a new replacement motor for my stock room.

4x4American

Quote from: ellmoe on August 22, 2016, 09:22:32 PM

4 x 4 , you're 24 years old, what do you know about Nancy Sinatra "HOT". I, on the other hand, remember those "boots that were made for walkin "!   ;)

Nancy Sinatra and I go waaay back  :D :D

Boy, back in my day..

Percy

oh my!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

customsawyer

You might have had a spring break on one of your brushes in the hyd. pump motor.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

Don't try to change the subject  :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

4x4American

Quote from: WDH on August 24, 2016, 07:39:58 AM
Don't try to change the subject  :D.

What did ya have for breakfast today?
Boy, back in my day..

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: customsawyer on August 24, 2016, 03:38:11 AM
You might have had a spring break ...

If you're gonna talk about Spring Break, don't forget to mention Panama City...

(Sorry, couldn't resist...)

Herb

4x4American

So what have ya come up with goat man?
Boy, back in my day..

WDH

He is too busy watching Nancy Sinatra and Shania Twain videos  :D.  It is your fault 4x4. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

jmouton

blame it on an innocent bystander  why dont ya, danny,,    4x4 was just standing there minding his own business when he got off topic a bit  ,  just kidding danny , just thought i would  say something  about nothing this topic is about , and how in the world does 4x4 know who nancy sinatra is ,  i barely know and i am almost twice 4x4 s age ,,

jim
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

Magicman

If you are still running a motor with brush problems, that new motor will not be a spare.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

MartyParsons

The armature will look burnt like the one on the left. I would guess the smell is the coating burning off the coils. 

Here is one dissembled.

The white brush holder will also be melted if they are let go to long.

Hope this helps.

Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

4x4American

Quote from: WDH on August 24, 2016, 08:07:44 PM
He is too busy watching Nancy Sinatra and Shania Twain videos  :D .  It is your fault 4x4. 

:D :D :D

Now you gol darn gone and done it...mentioning Shania Twain like that!  Now we'll never get back on topic!

Quote from: jmouton on August 24, 2016, 08:21:07 PM
blame it on an innocent bystander  why dont ya, danny,,    4x4 was just standing there minding his own business when he got off topic a bit  ,  just kidding danny , just thought i would  say something  about nothing this topic is about , and how in the world does 4x4 know who nancy sinatra is ,  i barely know and i am almost twice 4x4 s age ,,

jim

Well the way I was born, see, well, I just go in reverse, I was born at 99 years old and working my way down, just like the same way you drink beer, you start with 99 bottles of beer on the wall, 99 bottles of beer...

Marty thanks for sharing those pictures, helps me know what to look for when mine breaks!
Boy, back in my day..

MartyParsons

Hello,
Make sure you have some gloves before starting the project. The pictures are AFTER I cleaned them in the parts washer, the black crud that gets in these motors is some nasty stuff.  ;)  You can use brake clean or electrical cleaner. The chemicals that are in some of the cleaners are bad news. Best thing I have found is a pressure washer and soap. You need common sense when using the pressure washer. Compressed air is also trouble for your lungs. The black carbon from the brush will not come off your hands let alone your lungs. Be careful out there.
M
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I got my new motor, brushes and seal in today.
I'll swap them out tomorrow and take the old one to get it looked and and hopefully get the new brushes in it.

Thank You Sponsors!