iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logging in southern VT

Started by Arich, November 22, 2008, 06:56:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arich

Im going to look at a job tommorow in southern vermont, between bellows falls and brattleboro. Are there any mills or log yards in that area that anyone is farmilliar with. Come to think of it im gonna need a trucker also. If I get the job it will be about a 70 acre hemlock cut.
Thanks

Arich

thats a pretty sweet directory, what about NH?

vtbuckslayer

im from southern vermont and theres a mill right in brattleboro that will buy some softwood and hardwood. they will do the trucking themselves. its called cersisoma lumber.  its a pretty big mill worth giving a peak.what are you gonna be cutting and whos the crew?
ms 390 20", ms 441 24"
00 big bear 4x4(lots of extras)
98 polaris indy triple
98 gmc k 1500 4x4

beenthere

I've been there, and think it is Cersosimo Lumber :)

http://www.cersosimolumber.com/

Great guys, and very neat operation. I wonder if they are still big into the co-gen system using a lot of their own residue for fuel?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mike_van

I always like Bellow Falls - Just across the river in NH is where my syrup supplies come from.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

vtbuckslayer

ya i visited this summer couldnt remeber how to spell it :P.    ya they are real big into using their own scraps.  im pretty sure they are up to two boilers and are heating most of their building and their dry kilns from them. real nice mill clean and very well organized. they really know what is going on.  They are pretty big on using over seas markets as well. lately around us alot of mills and paper mills are shoting down.  Rutland plywood which has been around for many years is barely holding in there i hear. Sad to see these businesses going down.
ms 390 20", ms 441 24"
00 big bear 4x4(lots of extras)
98 polaris indy triple
98 gmc k 1500 4x4

adirondack harvester

You might want to consider sending it to Finch and Pryn in Glens Falls, NY.  I sent some hemlock this summer to them and it was fetching about $135/cord (including mileage) at that time.  Not bad for hemlock.

bkellyvtme

I was pleased with Finch Pryne. Nice people to deal with. Hemlock saw timber is pretty low right now ::), so that is not a bad option.

Engineer

If you still need a trucker, call Mike Tatro in Stamford, VT.  He runs a whole fleet of log trucks for hire that cover most of VT, western MA and the NY Capital District.

I don't know of any mills that are actively looking for hemlock; I wish you luck.

cantcutter

I don't know what hemlock is bringing in that area but my FIL is having about 120 acres (mix pine/hemlock) cut in central VT right now. He has been waiting for prices to go up for about 5 years now but the land is in usage trust so he had to have it cut. The outfit doing the logging is blowing it into chip trucks.

zackman1801

^ thats what i was thinking, most softwoods other than White Pine either get chipped on site or get sent as pulp. very few mills will take anything other than WP around here now. a few will take some hardwoods.
"Improvise, Adapt, OVERCOME!"
Husky 365sp 20" bar

thecfarm

Have you checked out Hancock Lumber?Seems like there is a mill close to you.Hemlock is not a good money maker,even when the market is good.Hemlock is an old timer wood.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Craig

http://www.wdcowls.com

They are located in Amhearst Mass. They buy hemlock and when they are looking for specific lengths they pay pretty well for it. Shane Bojanic is the forester there.

As far as chipping if you do the math it is only worth chipping the stuff you can't sell for pulp. $30 - $35 per ton for chips depending on where you send them. You get more for pulp per ton and you don't have to run a chipper that consumes a lot of fuel.

Thats my 2 cents worth (oops where in a recession, my 1 cents worth)

Craig
Craig Martin
C.S. Martin Forest Contracting
Life, Liberty and Justice For All.
(This includes Americans)

kenneth

I live in westminster, next to Bellows Falls and work in Brattloboro. Last time i visited Kerber's mill on rout 5 in Guilford he was having a hard time getting enough hemlock.There is a good sized operation across the river in Alstead NH. (Something and daughters), can't think of the first name I'm sure it is in the book.
  Does Cersosimo buy hemlock?

Arich

I checked with Cersosimo and they only buy hemlock pulp.

cantcutter

Keep us posted on what you find. My FIL says that they are shipping some pulp out, but chipping most of it. The logger has the chipper subed out so it is not costing him anything in fuel. I am not talking small trees either, most of it is over 30  IBH. The logging outfit has a feller buncher and cut everything he could with that in 4 hrs on one day. He is felling everything else by hand because it is too large for the buncher. I will be going up next week; I will take some pictures.

AlexHart

I do trucking work for Cersosimo's yard in Westfield Mass and they will buy hemlock but only pay a token amount for it (I think 100/m).   They aren't the place to take hemlock but for hardwood sawlogs they are a great mill to do business with. 

maple flats

I like the Miss Bellows Falls Diner, an old street car, good food and real maple syrup.
Too bad you are so far away, I have a mill and am trying to get about 8000BF of hemlock, but I am about 5 hrs from there and trucking would kill the price, you would have to pay me to take it unless you paid the shipping. Even then, 8000BF is not very much.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

tw3006

I live here in southern Vt. and work with my dad logging. He has been a contract logger for Cersosimo lumber for probably 20 years, great people to deal with, always a fair scale. They have too much to lose by shorting people.

Thank You Sponsors!