iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wavy cuts

Started by revid, August 20, 2015, 06:30:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

revid

I just made my first cut with a homemade bandsaw.I checked my saw bed for levelness and straightness but for some reason when I make my cuts the lumber has a wavy surface instead of being flat.Its not totally wavy but they are there.Any idea on what could be causing this.Ps:new blade

bandmiller2

Friend you have discovered the band millers curse, usually a dull or improperly set band is the cause or one not lined up or supported right. Do some reading of past posts on the subject here. Biggest problem is with soft wood and hard knots. Sometimes its just the log. I don't think anyone has a 100% cure. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Chuck White

What Frank said, X2!  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

revid

Thanks for input guys.Well it's not a dull blade cause I just put it on.must be the setup.

drobertson

not knowing just how your mill is configured as to the hp, blade guides, blade tensioning mechanism, and just the overall build of the mill, it's hard to comment on wavy cuts. I will say if you built it, then you have to know a little about fab work, so getting the alignment should be a minimal task for ya,  keep the band blade tight as possible, and make sure its tracking parallel to the bed.  Any misalignment can cause heat to build up resulting in band tension loss, which will cause waves.  Drive belt tension, or how ever you are driving the band can also cause waves, Now some logs are a pain in the rear, so lots of variables going on here for sure,  hope you get it working like you want and need, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

beenthere

Hope you can put up some pics of your new build. That will help get some critique if that is what you want to get the wavy problem ironed out so you are cutting straight. To some it makes a difference, and to others it isn't important. But sounds like it is to you. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

MSSawmill

Band tension and blade guides... There are several posts out here that do a much better job explaining what and how on both of those than I ever could. Like everyone else has said, without some pictures so we can see how you're mill is set up, we don't know for sure, but those are 2 good places to start.

Have fun with your mill! I run a homemade one, too, and as frustrating as it is at times, it sure makes me proud when I see a straight board coming off of it!
Home-built bandsaw mill
2004 Kubota M110 with LA1301 loader

Thank You Sponsors!