iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hummingbirds Again

Started by Magicman, September 13, 2012, 10:26:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

They have really flocked in during this past week so now we can enjoy them.  I guess the cooler weather North of us has pushed them in our direction.   :)

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

MM, wish we had a tagging system, Christy and I have always wondered the flight plan back south. These might be in your yard.   

only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Chuck White

We haven't seen any hummers at our feeders in the past week!

That time of year, to take the feeders down.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Autocar

Not sure what morning it was but around 7:30 in the morning and it was pretty chilly one was at the feeder and I wondered how long they hang around here in Ohio
Bill

Larry

Ten days ago we had one feeder out with one or two hummers visiting all the time.  All of a sudden we have been hit by a swarm.  Kathy added two more feeders to take care of all of them.  Right now she fills each feeder once a day.  There's no way we can count how many are out there...more than 20 at the feeders almost all the time.

I stopped by Walmart today and picked up 10 pounds of sugar to make sure we don't run out.  Kathy sometimes has trouble with her words.  Told me they should be hibernating soon.  Think she meant migrating soon. :D :D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

drobertson

We hate to see them go, they are a blast to watch, We leave  our feeders up till they are plan flat gone, lots a straglers , on the way south.  Monday morning before dawn it was crazy feeding, too dark to photo.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

JohnW

They were thick here about three weeks ago.  For us that means 6 at a time rather than 1 or 2 at a time.

Don't take your feeders down to try to encourage them to go South.  I've read, and I believe it, that humming birds leave when they're good and ready, and that doesn't have anything to do with your feeder.

Last year we still saw humming birds in October a couple times.

thecfarm

We don't put feeders up now. When we was we had a male that would let his ladies feed but drive of the males.  ;D  My wife has a bunch of bee balm they really like. But that is long gone now. We had one for awhile that would land on the electric wire. I would see it quite often and point it out to company.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Tom L

we had two left here last week and they have moved on.

they are great to watch, always fighting and chasing each other around

ibseeker

A friend lives on the border with Mexico and he's taken feeding hummingbirds to a new level. He's going through 1.5 gallons a day. It's really cool to stand close and have 50-60 birds surround you. They will fly within inches of your face.

Check out his you tube videos: hummingbirds of the tijuana valley #1 & #2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=xUYqnYmOGqI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=M-8v1DssTJ0
Chuck
worn out poulan, Stihl 250SC, old machete and a bag of clues with a hole in the bottom

Magicman

This cooler weather, 50's, moved our Hummers on South.   I hated to see the little guys go.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Hey Lynn, I recognized that one hummer in your pics as "Smiley", he was here about 3 weeks ago and he smiled at me when he emptied the feeder.

So, hence the name smiley!   ;D

They'll be back!  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

beenthere

There are more to come. Still seeing the hummers in WI, as of three days ago.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

You were correct, they are really buzzing this afternoon.   smiley_thumbsup

Den Socling

In Tuscon, AZ, there is a desert museum with an aviary. You can walk in among all of the birds. Smell a flower and you just might inhale a hummer.  :D The birds have zero fear of people.

Thank You Sponsors!