iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Magic Bucks, 2016

Started by Magicman, November 13, 2016, 04:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Our deer year is starting off with virtually no food plots due to the extreme drought, but we still have natural grasses, acorns, and good habitat.  After finishing up with tractor work yesterday, I sat in the Straw House for a couple of hours.  At one time I had 16 deer in sight with 6-7 of them being bucks.  Totally I saw probably 20 deer.

Here are 8 deer and you can see, almost total crop failure with the food plot.  The deer are continually nipping off the Oats and Wheat as it sprouts.  Thankfully this plot is completely surrounded by Fescue.

Here is a Grandson with a bow killed 8 point.  It is a strange rack with a split right side.

Our gun opener is Saturday and the season extends through the end of January.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishpharmer

Congrats to your grandson!  Always fun to see lots of deer.  The drought is hurting cattle farmers and deer hunters.  Winter grazing crops around these parts are  nearly non existent.  I am thinking about putting out hay for the deer :D :'(
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

thecfarm

You guys really have some deer down there. I feed deer in the winter and 20 at one time is alot for me. Most times 10-12 is normal,20 only a few times.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Today was our opener, so I went to the farm Friday so I could check the trail camera.

This guy had decided to have his picture taken at 5:56 Thursday evening.   :)

I only saw one small doe deer this morning.  The wind was stirring big time this afternoon, but I headed to the Straw House anyway.

This guy showed up at 4:59, and I opted not to shoot.  A minute later he caught a whiff of my scent and was gone in a flash.  I considered climbing down but decided to wait until dark.  About ten minutes later three bucks came in from a different direction.   :)

A Grandson and his GF were hunting about ΒΌ mile away and I had heard a shot earlier.  Anyway, we made it a double.   smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Lynn,

Congrats to you on the nice buck and to your grandson on his choice of girlfriends. If she can clean and cook a deer as well as she shoots them he ought to keep her. :) (I hope and assume that is that politically correct enough to repeat in today's climate?)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Lynn, did the little lady out do you by 1 point?  ;D
Congrats to you both.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

No, 3 points.  Mine is an 8 and hers is an 11.   :)

Ken

Congrats on the buck Magicman.  Always rewarding when a plan comes together. 
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Magicman

I just realized/remembered that I had this picture. 

newoodguy78

Nice bucks congratulations on the double.

Corley5

Nice deer! 8)  What does a buck like that weigh in your part of the world ???
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Magicman

Our bucks normally settle in at about the 160-175 range, but this one was heavier than usual, and I suspect that he hit the 200 pound mark.  GF's was average size and mine was much larger and heavier.

I have not done so, but I will do some serious comparing my antlers with the trail camera pictures because he appeared to be a heavy buck.

newoodguy78

MM do you guys and girls in the south go by live weight or field dressed?

WDH

MM,

She gets many more points than you do.  Sorry  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

I was speaking of live weights.

Danny, I was actually more proud for her than for myself.  Matter of fact, had I know for sure that she had shot, I would not have.  There is something special about letting others have their special time.  I did not want to distract from her joy.

sandsawmill14

it was  the best opening weekend for us that we ever had :) me or my daughter didnt not take a deer but both of my brothers and 2 of my nephews all took one :) 1 - 7 point 2 - 8 points and 1 - 9 point :) nothing of any size but plenty of good eatin ;D sorry no pics but they didnt get any without the faces of the guys that killed them and i wont post pics of people other than myself and my wife/daughters :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

H.O.D.

Great looking bucks in Missouri. I had a good year myself. Here are a few pics.

sandsawmill14

hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

coxy

H.O.D the neck on that thing is huge  congrats to everyone on there bucks  mine is still running but only on 3 legs was a longer shot than I thought with my little short 260 rugger that's what happens when you brake chops at camp they turn your scope power up on 12 so things look real close even with my eyes didn't look that far

Magicman

Nice buck H.O.D.   smiley_thumbsup

We hunted Friday & Saturday.  We saw small bucks but no shooters.  A Grandson got a small doe, so we did need to plug the cooler in.    ;)

I plan to go back to the Cabin next week, but most of my time will be involved with Highly Valuable logs.   ;D

Magicman

I saw a good possibility for rain today so I made a trip to the Cabin and put Ammonia Nitrate out on my food plots.  As you can see, I have no wheat/oats, but the deer and turkeys are hitting it heavily every day.  Nothing can grow with that amount of activity.  Thankfully the plots are surrounded by a good stand of Fescue.

Since the logging winch is on the tractor, I used this.

I checked the trail camera and this guy had his picture taken last night. 

H.O.D.

You folks in MS are so lucky to have a great deer herd..I know it has a lot to do with great genetics and how the herd is managed at the state level and land owners like yourself. Next year you might want to plant some sugar beets and purple top turnips..the green  tops will be gone by now  but they will be digging for the turnips which are just below ground level. Its a great food source for winter..if they are not getting to all of them say into Jan and Feb you can use your sub soil , disk or chesil plow to turn them up, sort of like potatoes. Sometimes they get froze in and they cant chew them down into the frost line.

Magicman

We have no frost line here.   :D

Actual food is not a problem here, but we do plant food plots as an attractant.  They will come in for maybe a half hour or so and then mosey along.  Corn, etc. is not legal to use, but a planted crop is legal.  I am sure that it is too hot here for sugar beets and probably even turnips that late in the year.

We are seeing 15-20 deer in the evenings with close to half being bucks.  The deer are in really good shape health wise because the buck that I shot opening day had an inch of fat on his back.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Magicman on November 28, 2016, 07:49:38 PM
We have no frost line here.   :D

The deer are in really good shape health wise because the buck that I shot opening day had an inch of fat on his back.

You guys are overfeeding the things, An 1" of fat,  :o :o :laugh: :laugh:
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Ron Scott

Very nice bucks! Well done.
~Ron

coxy

the bucks that are being shot around here where the acorns are have an inch+ of fat on them the ones that are in beech and ferns 1/2 in or less

Magicman

I got a very nice rain Monday evening and night after I spread the Ammonia Nitrate, so I have done all that I can do regarding the food plots.  I will be anxious to check that trail camera.   ;)

Buck

Uh, I wanna see the pics too
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Magicman

The food plots looked much better after the fertilizer and rain. 

I did not upload any of the pictures because they were of turkeys, does, and smaller bucks.   We are forecast to have a few good days next week so maybe.....

square1

Quote from: Magicman on November 28, 2016, 03:02:22 PM
I checked the trail camera and this guy had his picture taken last night.
Think he knows exactly where that trail cam is and is sending you a message? ;)

fishpharmer

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Magicman

I'll be sitting with my camera for a couple of days.

These two guys had their picture taken last week.  The daytime picture was at 4:39 PM.  The other was at 7:56 PM.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Texas Ranger

I posted this before, a "ghost deer" from a trail cam here in Polk County, Texas.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Magicman

I saw about 15 deer. 

This small 8 point was the largest buck.

newoodguy78

Quote from: Magicman on December 14, 2016, 03:01:44 PM
I'll be sitting with my camera for a couple of days.

These two guys had their picture taken last week.  The daytime picture was at 4:39 PM.  The other was at 7:56 PM.
Gosh that is one very impressive 7-pointer

fishpharmer

One of my nice local bucks...

Magicman

I only saw 13 deer today and the only bucks were spikes.  4 big longbeards came into the food plot late.

newoodguy78

Only??? :) I've gone whole seasons here in NH without seeing that many  :D. I think I need to switch states.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: newoodguy78 on December 15, 2016, 10:27:55 PM
Only??? :) I've gone whole seasons here in NH without seeing that many  :D. I think I need to switch states.

Just have to feed them like they do in the south and you will be tripping over them. ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Magicman

Actually baiting is illegal in Mississippi, so no feeding here.

Texas Ranger

Until recently the southern deer were smaller than the northern deer, at Texas any way.  A good buck down here will run 150 pounds, some over that.  Does around 100+-.  First deer I ever killed was a 200 pound doe in Missouri, in a pea field.  Biggest deer down here went 140, buck.  Others know more than I do, but think possible parasitism may be part of it.

Oh, and for decades any deer seen was killed, for the meat.  Now they have management programs that have brought the number of deer and their weight up considerable.  Probably the same in most of the south, the 30's were tough on animal populations, and it took another 20 or 30 years to change the hunting patterns and thinking of folks.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Magicman

True TR, much has changed here too.  Not so many years ago spikes were legal and "if" you even saw one deer it was a successful day.  Killing one deer in a season was outstanding.  Landowners working hand in hand with our wildlife biologist have made a dramatic turnaround with our turkey as well as our deer population; quality as well as quantity.

My last season to kill a limit of bucks (3) was the '95-'06.  Since then my self imposed limit has been one with very few exceptions.  Our limit on does is 5 with even more allowed if you hunt archery.

petefrom bearswamp

Boy Lynn I am jealous.
on my place here in central NY of 129 acres we have only taken 2 does.
My trail cams showed about 6 or 7 bucks, but only one has been seen during season, a one horn guy.
I shot a small button horn. I didnt mean to but meat is meat here abouts.
We have 4 days of muzzle loader season left here so maybe i'll connect but doubt it as it gets harder and harder with 12 to 15 inches of snow.
the camp I hunt at in the Adirondacks doesnt have many deer per square mile maybe 6 or so, but the camp life is grand.
As I age I become the camp bitc* and do a good deal of cooking and other  camp stuff while managing to nap after lunch.
Cocktail hour is the highlight of my day any more.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

coxy

like how you use some of your words pete  :D

WDH

Here, everybody feeds them.  I feed them, but do not hunt.  I just like to see them.  The gun season lasts 3 months.  The limit is 12.  Only two of them can be bucks, and at least one buck must have at least 4 points on one side.  I gave up hunting as I do not like killing things anymore.  I nephew keeps me supplied with meat. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Well, nothing is guaranteed here.  I climbed into the Straw House at 3:00 this afternoon, sat until dark, and saw nothing.

After the last couple of storms, the acorns have really fallen.  Deer will walk through the lushest grass to get acorns.

thecfarm

I feed the deer just during the winter months. I have 2-3 neighbors that do too. BUT I have no idea where the deer are during hunting season. My stepson comes up and tries each year. Usually he has 4-5 with him and still no luck. They might see or hear something,but no bullets go flying. No bid deal for me to see 10-12 deer at a time feeding. A few times we see 20. The deer will just stop coming in the spring. The grain will be there,but no deer. My stepson has talked about planting something in the back field,might be an acre field. Not to shot over,just to keep them in the area.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

fishpharmer

This year I have put up several trail/game cams.  I am having more fun looking at the pictures than killing anything.  Its fun seeing when and how the deer (and hogs) move around, lots of foxes, bobcats, raccoons and turkeys.  :)   The most activity on cam is under a very productive swamp chestnut oak.  It has become very noticeable that the bigger bucks have become completely nocturnal since the onset of hunting season.

Sparty

There are lots of factors that affect deer size in the south vs. north, but the main factor is probably Bergmann's Rule.  It's a well accepted principle where, in a population like deer, animal size will increase as the temperature decreases.  This can even be seen in humans.  Native groups like Inuits tend to have a thicker "barrel chest", possibly to conserve heat.  In southern Michigan, our bucks average somewhere around 200lbs, but we have lots of corn, soybeans and acorns, too.

Magicman

A Grandson got this buck this morning.

I had tractor work to do this afternoon and planned to go and sit this evening but the wind was wrong.  There is no need to let them smell you when you are not planning to shoot anyway.  I would like to sit tomorrow but again, it all depends upon the wind.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

I went to sit and watch this afternoon.  The wind was out of the NE which is not good, but I gave it a try. 

Four does and this six point came out just before the wind changed and that was that.  I went ahead and climbed down knowing that I should not have gone anyway.  I was only taking pictures, but there is no need to let them smell you.

Magicman

A Grandson shot a 10 point this evening.  Bad thing is that it ran and fell into the swollen creek but he has a buddy coming to help him drag it out.  They will have a long night but young folks are made for long nights.   :D

Magicman

He got it out of the creek and sent me a picture. 

Yup, that is a dandy!   :)

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

Jeff

Big antlers! Does he look kinda lean to you, or is it just because he's wet?

Magicman

He should be coming by here so I will get a look.  He is wet there and is lying in mud big time.  He was shot from the Wheel House and bailed off into the big creek behind it.  He said that the water was up to the new bridge.

gspren

I'd get wet for a buck like that.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Magicman

He was a small bodied buck, probably no more than 140-150 pounds.  Happy Grandson though.   :)

Magicman

Pat and I left 18 deer grazing in the Strawfield this evening, about Β½ of which were bucks.  The largest buck that we saw was a smallish 8 point. 

There were several small fawns without their mothers, so they are on a 3 day hanky panky trip.

Magicman

Each day is different and today was no exception.  There were 13 deer in the Strawfield when I left this evening, 5 of which were spikes that we did not see yesterday.  Today there were only 2 mature does, so hanky panky is in full swing.

This flock of 11 are as regular as clockwork.  There is one old boss hen, so this must be her hatch.  There are at least 3 jakes with their beards sticking out about an inch.  Another large flock comes occasionally and then there are the 4 old big gobblers.   :o

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

WV Sawmiller

MM,

Sounds like your rut is at least 4-6 weeks later than ours up here which peaked around mid November. I remember seeing small fawns in S. Ala. in November and December while ours up here have already lost their spots by then. Our peak fawn birth months are May & June.

Our season ended Saturday. I brought in the feeders and stored them in the barn until  next season. I had a lot more turkeys this season than usual which is nice but they did not help me to attract the deer to my hunting areas.

Enjoy the remaining season you have and keep us posted on on any more late season successes.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Thanks Peter, it is amazing what some moisture can do.

My Grandson brought me the antlers from my opening day kill, so I finally got to look at them.   17" inside spread and the longest G2 is 9".   The mass was lacking a bit, but he still was a good buck.

Yes, last week and this week covers our peak breeding time.  The does will start coming back to the fawns and we should start to see bucks roaming and looking for does again.   

Magicman

The 4 longbeards showed up today proving that you never know.  I had 13 deer in the Strawfield, but the 4 spikes from yesterday were not there.  The interesting thing was that a "shooter" 8 point showed up.  It was too late for a picture, but I still enjoyed watching him rubbing his antlers in an Oak limb and making a scrape.   :)

Magicman

The latest Magic Buck.    :)

sandhills

In more ways than one for a couple folks I bet!  Nice Jeff, now we need "the rest of the story" and more pics of course.

Ron Scott

Well done! Nice picture also.
~Ron

Jeff

Here is a comparison of my previously largest buck to my Magic Buck, shot in 1984.

My Magic Buck is in the spa today. :)

Jeff

coxy

looking good   my neighbor has the beetles so I'm spoiled  ;D

Jeff

Yea, the way I'm doing it is a bit of work.

Magicman

Some folks here will set it on a fire ant nest, and I'm told that it does not take long. 

Briankinley2004

Fire ants nest works good IF you don't have dogs around

Jeff

The skull bleaching of my Magic buck is complete. I plan on mounting it with the bottom jaw, which I will assemble when thoroughly dry. It's all going on a walnut stand i will make from lumber sawn from a walnut log that grew in the same woods that this buck grew up in.

Magicman

That qualifies as a Magic Buck in the truest sense.   :)

WV Sawmiller

Good looking job on the deer mount. We are waiting to see the finished product once you get it on the board.

Your log dog looks like he is asking when you are going to get that lumber stacked and stickered. Or are you deliberately drying it vertically? Lumber overseas was often stacked like that. Would look like a long chalet roof with a closeline in the middle at the top.
Howard Green

Jeff

I'm drying it vertically. Since Walnut is pretty forgiving, it should dry quickly. It's a simple thing for me to turn each piece every few days. That door won't be used for another 3 months, so it's not in my way.

Andy White

Jeff,
I have seen some of that Magic Walnut before! Very pretty, and highly valuable! That skull will look great on that board. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.     Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

WDH

I have been through that door.  I covet some of the Magic Walnut  :)..

Magicman

Dream on oh yea coveter of Walnut.....Dream on.   :D

Jeff

coxy

you have way to much time  :D :D 8)

H.O.D.

Outstanding job cleaning that skull..did you add something to the water. Thats a great buck anywhere.

Jeff

I simmered it for 4 hours. I added about a half cup of dawn dish washing liquid to the pot. The head had been skinned and as much meat as I could get off before I started cleaning it. The sinuses are the tough part. I made a hook from a piece of utility wire to pick at the hard to get spots. I also had some fishhook pliers to get down in there. The brains were not to bad, but you need to pot out the bone where the ear canal is to get in there good.

I've refined my jaw hinge a little more. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMzosDdO5kY

WV Sawmiller

You guys have got to be getting a lot more snow up there and are getting cabin fever really bad!  :D :D
Howard Green

Ted Addison

Congrats to all you who got one this year... I came up empty handed
Our <a href="http://www.besttreeservicememphis.com" > Memphis Tree Service</a> is the best group of experts in tree removal in the greater Memphis area.  We love the smell of sawdust in the morning!

Thank You Sponsors!