iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Colorado Elk 2017

Started by Magicman, April 04, 2017, 08:04:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

submarinesailor

OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Magicman

Quote from: Autocar on October 30, 2017, 02:31:10 PMMaybe next year your say to Marty you know I think I my have one more elk hunt in me  ;) 
Sadly the reality is that it took me 5 years to draw this license meaning that it would probably take 6 to draw another.  I would then be 80, so I know when it is time to accept reality and stand aside.  I will never hunt Elk again, but this was a fine way to end the 44 year journey that began in 1973.  Marty should draw next year and I will surely accompany him.

I am also not discounting the possibility of a Mule Deer hunt or at least tagging along and serving as the camp cook.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dave Shepard

My neighbors go to CO every year after elk. At least that's the story. I don't think it matters to most of them.  :D They just got back, actually.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

Yes, there are several "over the counter" areas where you can buy 2nd and 3rd season license every year.  I have successfully hunted some of them in the past, but there is a reason that they sell unlimited licenses in those areas.  I chose a few years ago to opt out of that rat race. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dave Shepard

I don't think they are doing that, only one guy drew a license this year. The season they went for started the same time yours did.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

AlpineCutter

Hey MM, nice job on your elk!! Thanks for stopping by when you were out here. Sorry i didnt make it by your camp. I spent the whole season trying to fill my deer tag with no luck. Enjoy the Colorado elk steaks!

Magicman

Dave, I agree.  One person hunting in a camp is enough.  Let one person tag along and "guide" and the others enjoy just camping and being there.  Marty and I decided several years ago that one of us hunting was plenty good.  He has been right with me for two Elk and I have been with him for one.  It doesn't get any better than that.

Thanks Ty.  From my description you know exactly where I killed my bull.  It was sorta being driven past and overlooked and it was just by chance that we walked back there. 

The firewood cutters/haulers had Deadman wrapped up and I decided not to take the beating going up B. Gulch.   :-\

I am sad to hear that the Deer did not pan out for you.  Tyler said that there was plenty of Deer there, but that is hunting.  (I gave him a card to give to you.)   ;D

Banjo picker

Good job  Lynn.  Looks like Marty was just as proud of that animal as you were.  I do see a little bit of emotion there as well.  If you ever get tired of sawing you can get a job writhing for Field & Stream or Sports Afield.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Magicman

Thanks Tim.  There is no way to describe the fact that you are hunting for "5 seconds" and you never know when or if that 5 second opportunity will come.  After the shot, all of the built up tension and emotions are released when you realize that fate smiled upon you.  I know of no other feeling in the world and that feeling is magnified when you see again just how huge an Elk is. 

coxy

are you allowed to share the elk tag  :-\ and are you both allowed to carry a gun

DPatton

Great story MM. Trips like that make great lifetime memories. Thank you for sharing it with all of us.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Savannahdan

Very much enjoyed the journey.  Thank you for sharing.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

Magicman

Quote from: coxy on October 30, 2017, 10:33:46 PM
are you allowed to share the elk tag  :-\ and are you both allowed to carry a gun
Absolutely not!  The person with the license carries the gun and does the shooting.  Having fewer tags than hunters is called "party hunting" and is illegal.

A non-licensed person accompanying a hunter is legal and provides another set to eyes and also aids with the dressing and packing out.  This is the scenario that Marty and I opt for.  In the past we both had license but we found that there was much more joy when we shared the other's kill and that completely eliminates the letdown of not getting one yourself.

We would both have a license when Deer or Antelope hunting, but not Elk.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Lynn, you always post some the the best pictures when you do something.

What a trail you will leave when you...uh....cough, cough.....retire.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Thanks David.  Actually I do think about retiring quite often.  I unloaded and stored the camper today and I'll probably think about retiring again tomorrow while I am loading all of the sawmill stuff back onto my truck.  After I get it loaded I can't retire because all of the sawmill stuff will be back onto my truck.  ;D

There are 6 jobs ready and waiting.

samandothers

Great story!  Enjoyed tagging along.  Congrats on the father son time as well as the bull.

Magicman

OK maybe this should go in the Food Board, but this Elk started here and will end here. food6  Several of you have requested Elk Steaks, but this is as close as you will get.   smiley_wavy

Elk loin being sliced into relatively thick slices.

And then vacuum sealed before going into the freezer.

That is all except two.   ;D  They were quick seared in a hot black iron skillet.

And then popped into the oven until they got just right.

Yup, that's just right.   digin1

Jeff

oh lordy... I'm drooling like a Harley dog.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bert

Great story! and all funded by some sawdust!
Saw you tomorrow!

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

barbender

I'm drooling with Jeff! On the "party hunting" issue, I always find the differences in law and custom of each different region or state quite interesting. For instance, in MN it's completely legal to party hunt. As long as all members of the party are licensed and afield together, all is legal as long as the number of deer shot doesn't exceed the number of licenses. One exception would be a youth antlerless permit can only be filled by the licensee. Firearms musg be fully cased and unloaded when in a vehicle. You get out to Wyoming, if you try to bring your gun case in the vehicle you get a sidelong glance- "We ain't got room for that!". Then you load your magazine up, safe folks keep the chamber empty but it's not legally required. So after you get used to that, you mention filling someone else's tag-"cough, gasp, wheeze, that's PARTY HUNTING! We don't do that out here!"😂
Too many irons in the fire

Magicman

Yup, it is your responsibility to know and follow the laws in the state where you are hunting.  Some slight violations in Colorado may get you an opportunity to correct it but party hunting, firearms, and carcass tagging will insure that you get to meet the judge.  Colorado has slightly different laws regarding firearms in vehicles vs ATV's.  AVT, it must be completely unloaded and cased.  Cars & trucks, the chamber must be unloaded.

bucknwfl

Amen ! That's what those trips are all about

Thanks for sharing

Buck
If it was easy everybody would be doing it

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

That red stuff on the left of that plate I would make a meal out of just that!!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!