iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Charcoal Gasifier

Started by Paul_H, February 11, 2015, 06:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul_H

The tractor,a 1965 Simplicity is almost ready to go.The engine is rebuilt and the carb is being adapted for woodgas.

We are going to use this little gasifier until winter slowdown when a larger one will be built to replace it.

Shea,shown here is the one that stripped down the tractor and prepped and painted it. He started working for us when he was 14 and now is 18 and leaving for four years university to obtain his Bachelor of Science then on to dentistry.

Here is the base of the carb.I drilled a 1" hole between the throttle butterfly and the choke and inserted a small length of aluminum shaft from a Stihl trimmer for the gas intake.
The choke plate will function as a choke in gasoline mode and a air/fuel mixer while on charcoal gas.

This is the second layer of JB Weld and the next coat will finish over the aluminum screen for reinforcing.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Paul_H

I didn't like the looks or size of the other gasifier so I bit the bullet and put the torch to the 40 lb tank and built a new gasifier.We decided to mount it on the back of the machine and added a hitch to the mounting bracket for towing a trailer.

The carb has the third coat of JB weld and a couple coats of paint and is mounted back on the engine.
We expect to light it up this week if time permits.

r.man

Neat trick using the choke as the air mix, I wonder if the choke on gas will be a bit slow since the motor can pull air out of the gasifier until it achieves a quasi vacuum.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Paul_H

I wondered that too but the truck isn't bothered by it so it might not be an issue. I'll post on it as we go along.

Paul_H

Well,we ran the tractor on charcoal today! Easy starting,began on gasoline and lit the charcoal right away and shut the fuel switch off and within a minute it was all charcoal gas.
I added a youtube vid at the bottom.

The first pic shows the carb mod and also the exhaust tubing running back to the inlet on the gasifier.

the next one shows the throttle and choke setup.The choke lever controls the air mixture while on charcoal and runs best in an almost open position.

This next one shows the camlock connection for the hose that delivers the charcoal gas.I figured the camlock makes a good quick disconnect if we want to hook another engine to the gasifier.

http://youtu.be/MoB2wGu9DnU

Jeff

Why do you have to live so far away?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sawguy21

;D That tractor is really cool, I have been watching it's creation.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Paul_H

Jeff,
we'll have to get you out here someday,you and Tammy both.

Roy,
come on over today and we'll fire it up again.It'll be at the Salmon Arm Fair next week too.

WmFritz

~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Magicman

Yup, it is sad that we were having an "issue" with the camper when we were there last year.  We would have loved to have taken it slower and visited more.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Puffergas

Extra nice tractor. I need to check in more often..!  😁
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

Ron57

Hi Paul; nice job on the charcoal garden tractor . I have seen Gary Gilmores units and Jeffs tractor running on charcoal it is amazing how simple it is to produce gas and make conversion to burn it and the power is almost equal to woodgas but maybe I am partial.
  Thanks for the video!!    Ron L

Paul_H

Hi Ron,

yes it is simpler and easier,the gasifier itself took about an hour and a half to build. Starting the tractor is as easy as starting on gasoline,lighting the port and then shutting the gasoline switch off and adjusting air/fuel till the charcoal gas takes over. About a minute or so.
Great for the small engines  :)

Paul_H

Sawguy21 (Roy) took these pics of the tractor pulling some kids around at the Steam threshers/ploughing show a couple of weeks ago.
The tractor used the charcoal up fairly fast under load,probably an hours run. There were occasionally adults onboard with the very young children.

The trailers tracked very well.

Tried to stop for a pee but more kids would pile on as soon as we stopped  :)

r.man

That is a really neat idea, you can see the grin on the kids faces.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

beenthere

smiley_thumbsup

Is each "tractor" re-fitted with a tongue to steer and the steering wheel disconnected?

Clever arrangement.

Our Lions Club has a built a train with engine built over an old lawn tractor (not wood fired but would be a good idea). The cars are trailer type made from plastic barrels laid on the trailer frame and topside cutout with a seat built in.
Only pic I seem to have is the caboose we built for the tail end.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sawguy21

Yep. Paul was the hero that day. ;D The Ford with the hood up is the infamous wood gas truck.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

thecfarm

Looks like Paul had a mighty nice hat on too.  :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Puffergas

Paul, that's a first class operation.. 😁
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

Paul_H

Quote from: beenthere on October 01, 2015, 11:16:18 AM

Is each "tractor" re-fitted with a tongue to steer and the steering wheel disconnected?

Yes,the same arrangement,built by a club member named Norm.We plan to build a couple more to add on.  :)

Ray,
I needed the FF hat that day as is rained hard at times

Thank You Sponsors!