iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree Farmer C-4 D

Started by Rob, May 27, 2003, 11:10:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob

Hello fellas,

I'm just looking for some opinions one the C4 Treefarmer's I have the chance too pick one up for a good price,but have never owned or operated one.So if you have any input positive or negative please provide.

Thanks Rob.

burlman

hi Rob. Can't give any hands on expierience with tree farmer. They are not popular around here. Deere and Timberjack rule around here. Do you know the year or engine etc we might be able to help out more. I bought a 66 Timberjack 205 a few years back, which is probably about the same size. If you have no expierience with these ,'find someone with it and take them along to check it over, A nice fresh paint job can hide the signs that say money pit. I hope you are somewhat mechanically inclined, because they are tinker toys to keep going especially if they are older models. Do you have parts  dealer available nearby. Preferably with a bone yard for used parts. Well send us more info, and we'll try to help you out more..goodluck...burlman...

Frickman

Rob,

We have a C-5 D forwarder here that we use quite a bit. It is a skidder front half with an extended rear frame and a knuckleboom loader, probably mid 1970's vintage. We purchased the machine about three or four years ago from a dealer, and like most used machines, it needed some work. The Tree Farmers were built though to be easily repaired. Any average logger with basic tools can repair anything on the tractor, or at least remove a component to take to a repair shop. We have rebuilt the engine, driveshafts, and most of the hydraulics ourselves. The clutch and transmission were redone by a local transmission shop. Most of the machine was built from standard, off the shelf parts. The only pieces that we had to get from Franklin/Tree Farmer were parts of the braking system, the backing plate and shoes. Those were easy to get in a few days.

The tractor is so easy to work on, my right-hand man and I can remove the transmission and clutch in thirty minutes, and the engine in an hour. We run alot of different equipment in the woods and on the farm, and we don't have another machine anywhere that you can do that with. I have yet to find any bolts or hose ends in a place that you can't reach.

There are two things that we struggle with on the forwarder. The first is that it is somewhat akward to operate in tight spaces. It could be because it has a long wheelbase, but it just isn't as nimble as our John Deere skidder. We use the skidder to prebunch logs along woods roads for the forwarder. It just seems that it can't maneuver around and over rocks and stumps as well as our JD, so we use it as a prehauler.

The second thing is a design flaw in the braking system. The entire braking system consists a simple one piston master cylinder and a wheel cylinder and brake drum assembly mounted to the transfer case. The brake drum is attached to the front driveshaft, and is about the same size as a Ford pickup rear drum. So you have a twenty five thousand pound machine and eleven hundred feet of logs with half the brakes of just one axle on my little pickup. This can be a problem in the mountains where I work. Only my right-hand man and I operate the tractor, as there isn't much of a braking system to stop you.

Be sure to look over the machine well, especially the above mentioned brakes. Don't be concerned about parts availabilty. As I mentioned above, we have not had any problems ourselves. I hope I have been of some help.

Frickman
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Rob

burlman,

I went and bought the machine yesterday after giving it a thorough twice over look and tested everything out on it,I  believe the machine is a 1988-89 it's one of the newer green Treefarmers with a 5cyl Duetz Diesel,has a Gearmatic winch from a TJ on it in working condition.If you send me your email address I can email you some pics of the machine so you can view it..It was a trade in at the Cat dealer here in NH the guy traded it towards a '99 525 Cat.It does need a set of chains and possibly a few tires,but I'm only keeping it for a year then I'm gonna trade in towards a newer machine.I have plenty of mechanical abilities as I used to be a mechanic before I started logging.Well let me know if you want the pics emailed to you.

Thanks Rob.

Rob

Frickman,

Thanks a bunch for your input I greatly appreciate it,the machine does look quite simple to work on as you said,I did'nt how ever look at the brakes I do know they are hydraulic like you say but I did'nt really take a good look at them but it does have a good brake pedal and seems to stop good,I don't usually work in real hilly terrain but I will have to look at them closer when it gets delivered..

Thanks Again Rob.

woodmills1

here is a shot of the tree farmer I got from rob and resized to fit.  looks like it was taken at southworth.  congrats on the buy rob.

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Rob

Thanks James and you are correct we took them when I went to buy it at Southworth yesterday..needs a good pressure washin' but it seems to be a good little machine..Thanks for posting the pic I can never figure out how it's done for some reason.

Rob.

Frickman

Congratulations Rob on your purchase. I hope it works out well for you.

Frickman

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Rob

Thanks fellas I appreciate it..now I cant wait to use it.It's getting deliverd on Thursday or Friday so I should have some play time with it.. ;D

Rob

burlman

congrats Rob. It must feel like the day before christmas, can't wait for your new toy to play with. You should have good luck with that deutz engine. Thanks for the picture offer, but we see enough skidders. I'm sure you'll be just fine seeing you have mechanical background. Just remember to work it accordingly to its size. The boys around here with there big 640's deere like to polk fun at my little timberjack, but hey it is payed for, it is reasonably cheap to keep running, it is light enough to float on a tagalong trailer, and nice in the swamps. Unfortunatly it is in for a heart transplant right now, broke the crank shaft in her. Found a used engine in a ford farm tractor that fits right in. soon be back at it too. good luck ,and keep us posted on how you are making out...burlman...

Rob

I'll be sure to keep you guys posted on how I make out with the machine..It should be a good machine but I plan on getting into a '99 515 Cat grapple skidder within the next 2 years,but who knows I'll probably keep this machine for  the smaller woodlots and get the 515 for the bigger operations.Well have to see how it works out in the next couple of years I guess.Your right it is like Christmas cant wait believe me...I'll post some pics after I start the next operartion in a few weeks in the "Timber Harvesting " Thread Ron started..

Thanks Rob.

OneWithWood

Good go, Rob.  I always like new-to-me machinery 8) 8)
Just remember things can go real wrong real fast - but I am sure you know that.  My Deere dealer had a bit of advice for me when I bought my JD450 crawler loader w/winch "When you screw up on the small stuff you get hurt. When you screw up on the big boy toys you get dead."
Good luck with the new toy and keep the wheel side down. :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Rob

Good advice.. ;D I'll be sure to keep the wheel side down for sure.

Rob.

Ron Scott

There was a Tree Farmer C-5D working on one of my hardwood timber harvests. It did good on the steeper hill terrain.
~Ron

Frickman

Rob,

We also have a five cylinder Deutz in our Tree Farmer and there is one very important thing to remember with it. You have to idle the engine fifteen minutes in the morning to warm it up properly, and fifteen minutes in the evening to cool it down. If you shut it down hot right after running it hard you can melt the pistons to the cylinder walls. Don't ask how I know, it is an expensive story.

Frickman

Rob

Ron thats a good thing to know that they're a good machine for hilly terrain,I don't work real hilly terrain but I do some harvest with some minor hill grades in them..I get the occasional woodlot with some pretty steep hills but not too often..

Frickman,

Thanks for the advice I'll definetly have to remember that I always let equipment warm up in the AM but rarely let them idle too cool down,but I guess I'll start doing it now that you tell me this,I dont want any expensive repairs if I can prevent them..

Thanks Rob.

J_T

Hey Rob when you get that Cat send me the Tree Farmer I had rather have it than any Cat I ever seen. 8)
Jim Holloway

Rob

Hello Guys,

I have a question for any of you who have a Tree Farmer skidder,I noticed yesterday morning while I was greasing the machine that the shaft connecting the hydraulic pump to the crankshaft is worn out and fits loosely on the crankshaft.Then I looked at it al little more an noticed that it also looks to have bolt holes drilled into the side of the shaft to put a bolt in to use like a pin or something I would imagine I don't know but the bolt where not there..Does anyone have any suggestions about what to do.It's not the U-Joints either I already replaced them a few days ago,it's the shaft itself.

Thanks Rob.

Scott

Rob, I'd love to see some action pictures of your machine if you have any. Thanks.

Rob

Dont have any yet I have to finish of the roll of film and then I will have some should be by next week at the latest.

Rob.

burlman

Hey Rob, let the games begin. On my TJ the shaft bolts on to a flange on the lower pulley of the moter. This shaft is fairly short I assume so you don't have to worry to much if the splines are worn down some. It can't get in to a good whip on a short shaft. Perhaps your missing bolts were a shear pin arrangement, or thats how the yolk was put on the shaft, a possible cut corner repair by the previous owner. The bolt may of broke in side and still allows the shaft to turn. does it come through the other side? Or was it the hole for the grease zert to lubricate the splines on the shaft? I guess pull it out and see if it is bothering you. good luck burlman

Rob

I took the shaft out of the machine today,after I finished with the brakes and sure enough the holes in each yoke where for bolts to thread into to act like a pin.Needless to sat neither bolts where in there must have fallen out at some point and the yoke that goes to the crank just beat itself to death,it was a square hole to fit the crank now it's almost round.The end for the pump is just fine.

Both U Joints where junk so the whole shaft just wore out from floating there,I wish I had noticed this before but it's too late now.I have to call Franklin/Treefarmer tomorrow and hope they have on laying around or know where I can get one for it.If not I may be able to have a driveshaft shop fabricate one for it.Your right the shaft is short it's 6" overall length from yoke to yoke.

Rob.

Thank You Sponsors!