iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Georgia State Champion Green Ash

Started by WDH, April 26, 2012, 11:14:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

My Brother and I measured a new State Champion Green Ash, Fraxinus pennslyvanica, today in Pulaski Co., Georgia  It measures 173" in circumference  (55" DBH) and is 112' tall. 

Dodgy,

You have seen this tree, and even suspected that it was a champion.  Well, it is!  We found a Gum Bumelia a good bit bigger than the one that you found when you were at this property the last time.  It will supplant the one in my back yard by a wide margin.  It is a little shy of 12" in diameter. 

All in all, a good day in the woods, today.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

fishpharmer

That's a big ash tree! ;D  Did you secure "first refusal" for the log if it dies anytime soon?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Okrafarmer

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Dodgy Loner

When I saw this topic in the "Woodworking" forum, I was afraid I was going to see customsawyer splitting that thing with a chainsaw. I'm glad to know that it is still alive and well. And also that it will finally get its proper recognition as a state champion :)

I suspected that there was an ever bigger gum bumelia somewhere on that property waiting to be discovered. I saw many there that were bigger than the one in your yard.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

WDH

Yeah, I am going back to explore some more.  Supposedly, there is a big overcup oak, too, in one of the sloughs.

I bet that Jake could split it, but we will hold off for at least a while.  The owners would have a cow even if I mentioned it, Fish  :D.  I would not want to give them a heart attack  :-\.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

That sure is a big one.  ;D Nice specimen to add to the records.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

Very nice indeed.  I love Champion Trees, even if they are only "my" Champions.  I will always regret letting my 38" Champion Loblolly be felled.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

hackberry jake

I had full intentions of leaving a massive cherry tree on my dads land, but then he got to talking to a logger about having his land logged, so I took it upon myself to fell the cherry tree(with his permission). I kind of felt bad taking down such a beautiful tree, but I felt a little better when I found a bug infestation in the trees largest crotch. It was her time to go.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

SwampDonkey

I hear ya MM. No one will be cutting my 25" yellow birch neither, which must be 28" by now because it's been a few years since I measured it and it's a dominant canopy tree.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

thecfarm

Very nice. Any day in the works is a good day.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Danny no official records are kept of big trees in NB to my knowledge. A 25 or 30 inch yellow birch would not be a record either. I have seen them over 40 inches, and in bad shape mostly. My tree is still healthy and no dead limbs in the crown. It's not much more than 100 years old because a fire went through a little over 100 years ago. It grew so well because it could out grow the cedar that regenerated. The old aspen that grew up with it are mostly dead now, if not harvested some time ago. The cedar was also cut and the site is regenerating to cedar again with some aspen and spruce.

ashes

I always love hearing these reports. Great work finding and measuring. Out of curiosity how was the height measured?

WDH

LOGDOG

I wonder if Apple has an app for that yet?

OneWithWood

Yes, there is an app for that.

Go to the iStore and search on clinometer.  May not be as fancy or do as much but it is there.  ;)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

LOGDOG

Are you serious?!?!? That's awesome. I need to buy me an iphone. They have an app for gardeners too that shows where in the sky the sun will be at any given time. Just point it towards the sky and it tells you when and where. Great for helping a gardener position their garden.

SwampDonkey

I was wondering about the accuracy. I know I have seen the pad orient itself as it's turned, in a demo, but I have not used one or seen one up close.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq-oJf8KXCw

I've never really thought about it until now, but most SUUNTO and Brunto compasses we use in Forestry also have a clinometer needle on them. Just turn the compass to one side and the needle points straight down, not the magnetic needle. Just use the mirror in the lid to take the reading and use the edge as the line of sight.

ashes

Wow, I would have thought that the height measure would need to be more accurate than a clino, but then I looked up the champ tree measuring guidlines and the method they used was even sloppier.
(use 12" ruler to sight tree top to bottom and measure distance from tree.)

Anyway, awesome find and congratulations! That is one big tree!

p.s. not saying clino measurements are sloppy, just that there are more accurate ways to measure (tapedrop, Impulse).

LOGDOG

ashes

A handy laser tool. I am really interested in the measure of trees. One of the toughest things in my opinion is getting accurate height measurements. With many deciduous trees not having conical crown shapes it is often tough to see the top, and because of this it is easy to overestamate height if you are shooting to a spot that appears to be the top but is actually on the near side of the tree.

Another common error is with the use of tangent method. Tangent assumes that the top of a tree is situated strait above the base and the ground is flat (right angle).

I am always learning and would like to hear others opinions on stuff like this. As always, please correct me if I am wrong. It helps me get better at the ins and outs of the subject I love. TREES.

SwampDonkey

Always challenges, but cosine doesn't eliminate errors either. Is the tree vertical, is the bottom shot -20 or -17, is the top shot 66 or 69? Is the tree in or is it out of round so the widest dimension faces you or broad ways? ;D Then I have heard all kinds of methods of handling DBH on forked trees and related to point of germination of the tree base. Some say DBH with calipers pointing to centre, some average two ways, some say the DBH has to be taped if it looks just in. Here in NB we use height classes, in 2 meter increments as well as DBH in 2 cm increments. Our standard volume tables go by height curves, 4 softwood, 4 hardwood curves which leads to which volume table to use. Some cruises have you only measure a few DBH's to tune your eye in and then you estimate the rest, same on heights. This is a valid procedure in these types of cruises. I think they are more interested in BA, but where I have done this the work was sample checked by DNR to see how close things are. I'm so used to wood in this area that I usually guess right on the dbh class before a tape is even wrapped on the tree. Then if I have a helper I get, "why do I bother measuring them". ;)

Now what throws a red flag up is the guys that say they did it from the windshield. Yeah sure! Sounds like a realestate cruise. :D

I don't do plans any longer because they are mostly used to liquidate woodlots. The owner just multiplies the latest price sheet from a marketing board with the volume estimates and the plan part goes out the window. And I'm real picky on who I cruise for, even so many times it will end up a liquidation.

Thank You Sponsors!