iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

RECYCLING ... what a joke!

Started by fencerowphil (Phil L.), June 22, 2008, 09:00:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greyman

A study from a couple months ago showed that 90% of table salt contains microplastics.  That can't be good.  It's also in our water supplies since even reverse osmosis filters can't reliably remove it.  The US is the highest in the world so far at 94% of tap water containing plastic.  Well water will take longer to be contaminated than surface water, but it's inevitable.  Nanoparticles will no doubt be involved in new filter technologies, but they are even harder to remove from the environment than microplastics.  It will be a big problem for our grandchildren to solve.

Ron Wenrich

It doesn't help when a lot of people suck their water out of a plastic bottle.  I've read that plastics leach hormone types of chemicals.  That ends up being more estrogen in men.  With testosterone out of balance, you'll see the hair loss, as well as increased abdominal fat, loss of muscle mass, and type 2 diabetes.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

red

Check out www.boxedwaterisbetter.com. Choose Boxed Water every purchase of Boxed Water helps us effect the planet in a positive way ,  while cutting back on the amount of plastic used which is the real goal.  Use #BetterPlanet on Social Media

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

lxskllr

I'm pretty skeptical of boxed water. There was a local company trying the same thing. Coated paper is tricky to recycle, and doesn't save much energy/money over virgin material. Aside from the obvious choice of carrying your own water in a reusable container, I think aluminum would be a better choice for counter sales.

florida

low_48
A little time on the web looking at the issues you list will help you sleep better at night
-20% of men are balding by age 20
-85% of men have some bladness by 50
-Male pattern baldness is genetic, not enviromental although smoking and lack of sleep can make it worse
-Assuming there is an Alzheimer's epidemic it is caused by the fact that we live so much longer than people used to
-I'm sorry about your mother but only 4% of American women live to be 87.  My mother died at 84 and had dementia. She never fogot anyone and remembered everyone's birthday but couldn't remember the day of the week or that she had just eaten.  We took her to a medical university for a 3 day study to find out what was wrong. The doctors agreed that it was just senile dementia which is normal for the elderly. 
-One of my very good friends is a retired pathologist, her husband was a virologist. He spent the last 6 years of his life in a nursing home with Alzheimers. He was physically as healthy as a horse but he didn't know her so she couldn't keep him at home. The nursing home was the only option and was a Godsend for her and her family.  What other option is there?

General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

florida

red
Not only  does Boxed Water not save the planet, it makes it far worse. The waxed paper/plastic cartons it comes in are not recycled at all and make up 78 million tons of domestic  landfill waste worldwide. The cost is astronomical at $24.99, 13 cents an ounce, for 192 ounces of water!  I can buy 432 ounces in 12 ounce plastic bottles for $4.00, 9/10s of a cent per ounce,  at Sams Club.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

Sixacresand

I just saw on the local news that recycled plastics value had dropped and now most of it goes into the landfill.  For some reason, I thing this buried trash will one day come back to haunt us. But on the other hand a local brick making company has been collecting methane gas from buried landfills for years to fire furnaces. 

If buried plastics last 700 years, folks will be digging them in 400 years and selling as antiques.  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

lxskllr

About 10 years ago I was working on a job that was located at the site of a "troubled" landfill. It was on the bank of a significant creek, and had started life before there were any regulations, and finished up under mounting fines at some point in the past. The job was shut down a couple times by the contractor's insurance company due to hazardous conditions. Really makes you feel good on a dusty windy day.

Anyway, they dug out newspaper from WWII that were still readable. Even with a non regulated landfill, time virtually gets frozen. The best way to "recycle" is to not use it in the first place.

brianJ

A cogeneration plant is the best method to deal with plastics and correctly designed works well with all kinds of packaging and other materials.   It is a far better solution than burying everything and far more economical than recycling and simpler for consumers. 

Greyman

Yes, people forget that "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle" is in the order of being the most effective.  I'm sure a lot of what's picked up in recycle bins goes straight to the dump.  Aluminum cans is where the money is.

red

No good news about Recycling  !
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Thank You Sponsors!