iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Engine Question, 8 HP Briggs

Started by Radar67, July 20, 2010, 11:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radar67

Yeah I know, alot of you do not like Briggs, but it's what I have.

The engine starts and runs as long as I keep it at half choke. It has power, I cut 12 inch wide material with it today. It cuts about as fast as it ever has.

When I move the choke closer to the off position, it starts spitting and sputtering. Any ideas?
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

tyb525

It sounds like it might be starved of fuel- a blockage in the fuel line, or a clogged filter in the tank? I have a 10hp Briggs that will only start with the choke on full even when hot, but once started it runs fine with no choke. Sounds like a lack of fuel.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

customdave

Radar67, I had a 8hp briggs vertical shaft do the same thing, it was loose bolts carb to intake valve port on block, tightened back up I was in bussiness. Good luck....

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

Bill Gaiche

What I have found in this case is that the main jet is partly clogged with dirt or build up around the needle and seat. Remove and clean, blow air through needle seat. Also diaphram can also start getting stiff from age and does not flex so that it can do its job. Replacing that is easy.

brdmkr

The 18hp on my mill does this more often than it should.  I just open up the carb and clean everything out and it works fine. Kinda like Bill says, I clean out pretty good around the needle.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Buck

yep....sounds like a blockage of fuel....start cleaning and blowing air thru and clear it out
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Captain

ladylake

Check for loose bolts first, then filter and carb.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Dave Shepard

Is there any water in the gas? Isn't that a problem in this humidity with the alcohol content? We used to run 8 HP Briggs on the leaf blowers. They weren't bad.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Radar67

The fuel is running through the lines good, and the carb bolts are tight. I will have to take the carb off and check for clogs, it could be build up. My filter is in line, so easy to check, I'll have to do that.

Dave, I've not had any problems with water in the fuel caused by humidity. The gas usually doesn't stay in the tank long enough for condensation to occur.

I'll have to take a closer look after I do some welding on it. I broke the loader a few days ago trying to get a log on.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

r.man

Radar, a friend had good luck with one of the carb cleaning additives. His 12 hp snowblower got so bad he was running it on 3/4 choke. Put the cleaner in and went to 1/2 choke second use, 1/4 choke third use and then no choke from then on. Now if he could just remember which additive it was so I could get some for my lawnmower.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

paul case

a neighbor was  telling me to try seafoam . anybody ever use that stuff? pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

tjhammer

seafoam is good stuff a lot of people use it on 2cyl boat motors to clean the fuel sys after sitting all winter or a long period of time

tj
hammer

whiskers

Quote from: paul case on July 22, 2010, 11:49:58 PM
a neighbor was  telling me to try seafoam . anybody ever use that stuff? pc

Our outlaw Harley shop owner really likes it, recommended it recently for my Jeep injectors and it seems to work.

many irons in the fire.........

Buck

Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Thank You Sponsors!