iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing my first 21 foot beams.

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, July 20, 2013, 09:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southside

I did some 3 x 5 - 20' and 28' pine a couple weeks ago. NEVER going to do that again without an extension. Got them done, but did not charge near enough for the job. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Peter Drouin

Everyone has a first 20' log, Good job.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Dave Shepard

I'm looking for my first 60'   ;D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ljohnsaw

I'll be doing five 56' beams soon.  Two 8x12 and three 8x15.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Don P

GAB

Quote from: rmack on July 21, 2013, 09:17:14 AM
Quote from: GDinMaine on July 21, 2013, 09:05:30 AM
Glad you posted that.  I didn't think it would not be quite that much pain to saw a 21' log, but I guess you have to cap the capacity somewhere when designing a machine. Needless to say I never sawed anything that long.

just a guess, it's probably designed to cut 20' lumber with some room to spare.  :)
Yes with some trim allowance.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Leigh Family Farm

@POSTON WIDEHEAD - Instead of trying to get the 21' log through a 13' door, why didn't you move the mill outside? 

Either way, great job on gettin' 'er done! 
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Qweaver on August 01, 2018, 04:11:36 PMJobs like this are about the only time that I really like my Peterson.  30'+.

Once it's all set up it is quite amazing, I agree.  As long as the customer can remove the 30 ft 8x10!!
I've had some jobs like that.

I've also had some emails where I ask whether you can remove the 8x10 after I saw it.  No answer. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

PAmizerman

What in the world is a 60' beam used for?
You can't span that far so why such a long beam?
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

Ljohnsaw

In my case (56') I'm doing it for the challenge ::)  I have my ridge, 2 mid-span and 2 wall beams that run the length of my cabin, spanning 4 bays.  They are all visible when done.  I do have my plans drawn with them spliced halfway.  But, I've got some trees and a mill that should do it.  I'll start with the biggest and if the cuts go wonky, I can trim it down.  Worst case, I have to splice two for the length like the plan says.  If I can pull it off, people will look up 38' to the ridge and say, how the heck did you do that?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Don P

That's the first 60' 12x12 across the top backside of the 2 log cribs. We made another for this near side. There were 4 cross beams mortise and tenoned in between to make a rigid flat frame to tie everything together and launch the roofs from. The beam was sized for 20' spans, which are its bearing points. There are 3 other similar length runs of beams in the barn that are scarfed. Finding a tree big enough is a small part of the problem! We 3 sided them in the woods, lightening them but leaving them strong, then did the last rip at the barn. We pushed the third rip off of one in the woods and I could have laid my arm in the rotten spot. We used it for smaller stuff but that was a bad day. All the logs below are slabbed on 2 sides, they are 20 and 30'. The short ones we did on the Lucas the longer stuff was with the Alaskan. By hopping that straight plank down the tree there is really no limit to length.

Edit, here's another shot. Both 60'ers are in up top, the straps pulling the cross beam joinery together are showing. The lower run of beams is scarfed, there is a ~20'and40' in those plates.

carykong

OffGrid973

Great answer for what you do with a 60'.

I have to mention my first 22' pine with plenty of rails for my LT-10 went smooth and then I marveled in the length...then cut in half and put on my trailer :)

Always good to focus on the entire job when taking big logs...ha ha

Great job!
-chris 
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

TimW

Quote from: Don P on August 09, 2018, 12:07:48 AM

That's the first 60' 12x12 across the top backside of the 2 log cribs. We made another for this near side. There were 4 cross beams mortise and tenoned in between to make a rigid flat frame to tie everything together and launch the roofs from. The beam was sized for 20' spans, which are its bearing points. There are 3 other similar length runs of beams in the barn that are scarfed. Finding a tree big enough is a small part of the problem! We 3 sided them in the woods, lightening them but leaving them strong, then did the last rip at the barn. We pushed the third rip off of one in the woods and I could have laid my arm in the rotten spot. We used it for smaller stuff but that was a bad day. All the logs below are slabbed on 2 sides, they are 20 and 30'. The short ones we did on the Lucas the longer stuff was with the Alaskan. By hopping that straight plank down the tree there is really no limit to length.

Edit, here's another shot. Both 60'ers are in up top, the straps pulling the cross beam joinery together are showing. The lower run of beams is scarfed, there is a ~20'and40' in those plates.

Don,
    Do you have a thread about this twin crib log build?  I would love to follow it if you did.
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

Don P

Sure, I was getting ready to go find it and add a pic, hang on.
Here it is;
http://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=96192.0

Quebecnewf

I did 2 beams of 25 ft X 8x8 on my mill . Mill is only designed for 16' . . I did my four cuts to get my 8x8 square. Cutting of the slabs with chain saw each time. I then moved the log back wards on the mill to get to tha last 9 ft round section . I placed 2" blocking on the bunks . This lifted the squared section up 2" and made sure the round uncut section was not touching the bunks. I then tapped a small wedge under the uncut end to take out any droop . Then made the last four cuts . Good to go . In theory  I could cut any length using this method . I have hatches on each end of my mill shed that let me pull long logs in through one end and out through the other .

Quebecnewf

Andries

Where there's a will - there's a way.
I surprised though, Quebecnewf - you found logs that were 12" at the small end of a 25 footer, in your part of Canada ? 
Those trees must've been hiding from the logger for many decades!
8)
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Thank You Sponsors!