iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

customers 101

Started by woodmills1, October 27, 2002, 05:01:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodmills1

was in the middle of a good repeat bread and butter contract today when one of my better dry lumber customers called.  i had just come out of the woods with 7 16 foot red oaks on the forwarder trailer and he wanted to come over to look at some birch. it was 10:30 but i knew i needed to cut till dark to finish the fence order for 1x6x16 so i kinda put him off till later.  But all the rest of the day it was naggin at me so when I got in at 4 i called him.  he was real happy, as he thought maybe he had done something wrong. :o  Just remember part of what we do has a service business kinda thing component.  And I don't know about you but the good dry customers are worth keepin even if they like to pick through the boards.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Tom

You got that right, Woodmills1.

We can't ever forget the value of customer, especially the repeat ones.  It's the customers that have the money that we want:D :D

woodmills1

yes if we can give them the wood they want.  feels like ima postin behind ya tonight.  makes me wanna say thanks to the tree gods fora forestry forum. 8)
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Sawyerfortyish

Not all customers are good I had one in today had to stop sawing shut the mill down to wait on him he wanted cedar two boards and after the first 15 seconds of talking to him I knew it was a waste of time but went through the motions any way took him to the trailer with the cedar opened the door he peeked in and said this isn't quite what I want I need it finished and it has to be all red no white wood I need 1x8 10' thanks for showing me any way! Now I don't know about the rest of you but cedar around here just don't grow very big. It kind of ticks you off when you know they ani't gonna find what there looking for any other place in the area and they just wasted a half hour of your time and the two guys that are working for me stand in the mill B S 'n having a smoke while im out! I get one or two people a week like this. I'm just glad to see the customer that isn't picky is glad to get what he can and has the green stuff to help you forget your trouble.

woodmills1

Yes, and I like the phone calls.  Say, someone told me you sell oak for a dollar a foot, can I get some.  Sure says I, what do you need.  Well five quarter clear 16 foot 1 by 12. hahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaha.

Brian_Bailey

I just love these calls.

I answer my phone and the voice on the other end asks,  You the fellow with the sawmill that sells kil dried lumber?  I answer, Yes that bees me.  The voice then asks, You don't happen to have any plywood do ya?  I answer nope, I never seem to be able to get my hands on any plywood logs. So I don't cut any plywood.  The voice on the other end says, OOOkay-thanks and hangs up. I hang up smiling.
WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

Bibbyman

About once a week I have to tell a caller we run a sawmill - not a lumberyard.  

So many people ask me for treated pole barn post I've toyed with the idea of stocking a trailer truckload.  But most of them think we can manufacture them and so the price should be half what the lumberyards ask.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

woodmills1

Tom

Mahogany!?  I've been asked that.

Bib, you could build yourself a little gate and another little yard as you enter your place and put a Lumberyard sign on it.  That way you could retail products out of that "store front" and put up a "Sawmill" sign at the sawbarn.   Just think, you could double the price of a board by stacking it at the lumberyard.  :D

Thank You Sponsors!