iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chestnut American or Chinese?

Started by Dana, June 09, 2009, 04:23:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dana

Here is a photo of the front and back of the leaf. Keep in mind that they are young spring leaves.  2nd photo is the underside of the leaf.

Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

SwampDonkey

Looks like American. Are the teeth bristle tipped (like oak) and the leaves about 2" wide?
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dana

Quote from: SwampDonkey on June 09, 2009, 05:16:21 PM
Are the teeth bristle tipped (like oak) and the leaves about 2" wide?
I don't know what you mean by bristle tipped. The leaves are still immature and are almost 2" wide.

When I went to grafting class a few weeks ago, we grafted chinese chestnuts. They were just starting to leaf out so I can't compare them to anything. The professor did say that the underside of one specie will be hairy and the other isn't. The problem is I don't remember which was which. ::)

RynSmith

My tree book describes American chestnut leaves as "hairy when young but becoming smooth with age."  Not sure if that helps or not...  ::)

WDH

I have not looked it up but I think that the american chestnut is glabrous (smooth).

Here is an excellent site that compares the various species:

http://www.westmorelandconservancy.org/amch/ChestnutComparison.html   
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dana

I am thinking that it is American based on the link WDH provided. Is there any follow up info I can provide to confirm this?

WDH

When the leaves are mature, check to see if they are smooth underneath.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Probably like beech, they come out with fuzz on them, then they loose it. Then sometimes I suppose early leaves drop and the shoot ends elongation and the later leaves are retained without hair.

Largetooth aspen exhibits this trait. right now they are velvety and even slower to emerge than our sugar maple, still fairly small and it's now mid June.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dana

It's been such a cold rainy spring here that we are at least two weeks behind on leaf development.

Ron Wenrich

Here's a description of various chestnuts:

http://www.mindspring.com/~psisco/www/overview.html

Click on the various chestnuts, and you'll come with pictures to look at.  Look at the ones for buds.  That should give you a pretty distinct idea of what it is. 

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Dana on June 11, 2009, 09:54:36 PM
It's been such a cold rainy spring here that we are at least two weeks behind on leaf development.

It has been a cool spring, but it was dry here. We have had about 2 inches though in the last two weeks. Before that we went a long time with the odd sprinkle. Leaves were out earlier this year if anything. I can remember maple leaves used to take until June to come out full and apple blossoms were not out until first week of June. Everything is 2 weeks ahead this year. I like the cool weather however, cuts down on flies and you aren't too hot cutting brush. When the hot sun hits that softwood slash it's 20 degrees hotter (at least) on a 90 degree day.

letemgrow

My guess would be an american chestnut also.  The basic principle is the Chinese will be hairy underneath while the American will be smooth.  What form does the tree have???  Here is another website that states some of the differences between the American and Chinese.  I know the young amiercan chestnuts that I have growing, have really big leaves in areas where they are growing like gangbusters. 

http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/comparison/

letemgrow

Here is what a hybrid american/chinese leaves looks like I have growing on the farm.  It is noticeably different from the pure american chestnuts. 

Thank You Sponsors!