iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shagbark Hickory Stumping me

Started by brianJ, October 05, 2017, 11:33:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brianJ

Got a 20"+ field grown hickory.    I am going to cut into firewood this fall/winter.   Will that stump or it's roots respout?    How long for that stump to die and dry for a fire?

Crusarius

Is this a log that would make nice lumber? I love hickory hate to see it turned into firewood.

grouch

Quote from: Crusarius on October 05, 2017, 01:10:23 PM
Is this a log that would make nice lumber? I love hickory hate to see it turned into firewood.

Isn't that what WDH is always wanting to saw?  Walnut, Douglas fir, Hickory, right?
Find something to do that interests you.

Crusarius

I want either hickory floors or cabinets. Depends on how much hickory I end up with.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

TKehl

Haven't cut much green Hickory, and none that size, but smaller saplings will resprout from the stump.  Just not as vigorous as species better known for resprouting.

We have several places in our woods where there are rings of Hickory splayed out from the center, almost like a basket.  Not small either, many are 16" diameter.  My assumption is these are resprouts from an old large tree that was harvested or rotted down.  I also think this contributes to Hickory's reputation as being unpredictable devil wood, but sometimes behaves well.  Or verse vice a.   ;)  Somehow the pith stays much more centered on these Hickory leaners than say a Cedar or Hedge grown at an angle.    ???
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

brianJ

Thanks everybody for replies.   Crusarious   come and get the main stem.   Mapquest shows a 2 hour drive.

Thank You Sponsors!