iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Been past this place a hundred times,

Started by saxon0364, March 28, 2014, 07:31:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saxon0364

The frost is going out and the mud is bad so for a few weeks I'm cruising timber and marking trees for one of the guys I contract cut and skid for.  This morning he sent me out to a small wood lot Ive been past many times.   There's a couple draft horses always out in the pasture and way down in back behind the house there's a couple sheds and a building that looked like a it might cover a sawmill.   I always wondered. 
    Well, today I met the guy that owns the place.   Just what I figured.   He's 70 years old, and used to be a logger.    I found him bucking slabs for firewood.   And yup. the shed held a Norwood bandsaw.   The man told me he used to run a circle mill in there powered by a tractor but jumped on the norwood when he had the chance. Easier for him to maintain.    He saws when the mood hits or someone wants some lumber. 
     Hes wanting to sell a few loads of red oak while the price is up.    He kind of planned  to cut and skid it himself but its a big job and he wasnt sure.  So I think we struck a deal.   I'm going to do the cutting and help him with his team to skid.  I wont make much but its mud season and what the heck, its work and it will be a good time.   The man is a real character and has good stories.  Saw dust in his blood, just like me.  I'll see if he let me take some pics.   Every where you look is an old logging cart, a stone boat, diesel motors, old logging equipment all over.    Interesting place.
Nothing wrong with quiet.

Chuck White

Looks like you might have the makin's of a good friend!

Working with horses, your signature is appropriate! smiley_thumbsup
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

kczbest

Sounds like fun to me. I love to visit the old timers and hear their stories.
Hail State!
2013 F150 Supercrew 4x4
John Deere 5303 4x4 with FEL
Cook's MP 32
Cat 289C with Bradco MM60 Forestry Mulcher Head

thecfarm

I am on my way.  ;D  There is a place that I drive by,100s of times. Across from the house and barn is equipment that was just parked there. Kinda looks like it was put there in one area to get it out of the way. Tall grass,weeds,small trees and shrubs hides the treasure that is hiding in there. Just about every time I drive by I just about run off the road looking and start to say.Man.would I love to get in there and poke around,but the wifes says,don't say it,I don't want to hear it again. I only might of said it 25 times.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Alcranb

Saxon, I'm envious  :) you may not make much but what you may make could be priceless!!
I'd be willing to bet the gentleman is a wealth of information. Good luck! Sounds like a great way to get through mud season.
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.  So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  (Mark Twain)

drobertson

It don't get no better than that! Really, these ole boys are a joy and wealth of info all at the same time,  great times, good friends and a lasting memory for both of you, Real proud and happy for you both, Life is short, make the best of it with who's around at the time,     david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Billbob

Yarding with horses is fun work.  Especially if the horse is an 'old hand' at it.  Good for you in helping that gentleman.  I love working with those 'older' fellas.  There is always lots to learn from them.  The day you stop learning is the day you're in the ground! :D

Bill
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

Thank You Sponsors!