iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

When your sick?

Started by Maineloggerkid, August 05, 2008, 05:33:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maineloggerkid

When do you guys decide to stop working? What is the line of " Im sick and need a break?

I worked in the rain all day yesterday, and now I can't get warm and can't even remeber what I did with all my stuff.  I will work, but I hope this goes away, because I don't want to catch a cold right now.

I've worked through some pretty bad stuff, but everytime I do, I seem to prolong the healing, getting over it process. I was just wondering when you guys decide enough is enough.
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

ellmoe

Quote from: Maineloggerkid on August 05, 2008, 05:33:10 AM
I was just wondering when you guys decide enough is enough.

Right or wrong, usually at the end of the day. ::) Seriously, if you're having concentration problems it's not a good day to be doing hazardous work. If you need to work ,try to take care of the "safe"jobs : paperwork, light maintenance, etc..

Good luck!

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

timberfaller390

Quote from: ellmoe on August 05, 2008, 06:00:18 AM
Seriously, if you're having concentration problems it's not a good day to be doing hazardous work.
I'll second that motion
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Cedarman

If I'm sick, which luckily has been very rare, I simply do management work if anything.  Phone calls, some paperwork, easy stuff.  If I work in the woods, I tend to pace myself and take breaks as needed.  I never work at top speed and hit the wall.  I just keep working at a pace that I can handle.  I am usally by myself, so I can not afford any mistakes.  At the mill in summer when working outside, I can stop when I get to hot and drink plenty of water. May take an hour to cool down, but usually work from 7:00AM when mill starts to about 7:00PM.  But there are breaks inbetween for phone calls, take care of mail, eat, drink coffee in morning. " Slow will get you there, but stopped won't", is how I look at it.

Learn how you feel and work accordingly.  There is always way more work to do than you can get done, so budget your time accordingly.  The sun will always come up tomorrow whether your work is caught up or not.

Relax and enjoy the work, take a moment to look at what you have done and be proud of it.

Hope this gives a little of my philosophy on the subject.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Sawyerfortyish

I'll agree with the others If you can't pay attention to what your doing stop. Your going to get hurt and put yourself further behind whatever problems are bothering you.  Take a break it sucks working in the rain. I won't work in the rain anymore. But i have options I can go inside the mill and work.  Your young yet and need to disapline yourself to (Work Safe!) not just to push to get that extra dollar out of the woods I've done that too many times myself. Tommorrow is another day maybe the sun will shine and things will have a differant outlook. Are you working by yourself?

Tom

Sometimes you have to use your "willingness" as a measurement.  Just feeling bad isn't much of an excuse, but low grade fevers will hang around forever if you dont give your body a chance to catch up.  There comes a time when you need to go to bed and eat Momma's chicken soup and sleep.

I got told off by a doctor once, when I was trying to get over the flu.   He told me to go to bed and rest.  I went to the couch and watched TV and checked into work on the phone and answered phone calls in the middle of the night.  I figured I was resting since I hadn't gone into work.

When I saw him again, he gave me "up the country".   "I told you to go to bed and sleep, not watch TV", he said adamantly.  

I did and was recovered in a few days.

So, You have to be the judge.  When it looks like your body is behind the 8 ball, you need to take care of it.

That doesn't mean to wimp out.  You have to remember that you can give contagious diseases to fellow workers too.  That puts the whole operation at misery.

Something a young fellow needs to remember sometimes is that, God gave us a tomorrow so that we don't have to do everything today.  Today's society lays guilt on someone who isn't working all of his waking hours.  It even makes one put off sleep to make his day longer to get more done.  Health is important, so is family and rest.

There are only a few things that Health oriented Doctors will tell you to do.  One is drink at least six glasses of water a day.  The other is to get a good night's sleep.  The excepted time for  a night of sleep is eight to ten hours.  Those who sleep less may be depriving themselves.  It's hard when you are young, because everybody is playing at night.  You need to develop the self discipline to get your rest.

Don't take on any job, when you aren't 100%, that could hurt you or another.  :)

Maineloggerkid

Ya, You don't have to worry... my skidder broke again :( Not getting fuel again, it should be fixed tommorow. I am going to see about getting contracted to go behind mechanical crews today.

I have never wimped out, but I dont push to always do more, either. I work a 9 hour day, and usually take the weekend to catch up and relax, unless I fell behind and then I work Saturday.  If I can work through an injury, I usually will, but as said, if I have the flu and cannot concentrate, I usually do grease jobs, stack the log pile, etc. I work with one other person, but on days when he cannot come, I work alone. I don't really like to work alone for safety reasons, but I do like the fact that everything is done how I like it.

timberfaller390

That sucks that your skidder is down and so are you
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Maineloggerkid

Well, I feel better now, but The skidder is still under the weather. :-\

zackman1801

i guess it all depends on what sick is. if your puking your guts out i would say stay home, its better to be off work for one day than to wear yourself out trying to work and getting hurt, or getting more sick.  You also dont want to go out thinking your not that sick and ending up getting pneumonia and having to be hospitalized.  i guess some days you just have to weigh your options and hope for the best.
also whats with your skidder? didnt you just get that thing? kinda sucks to have problems right off in the game.
"Improvise, Adapt, OVERCOME!"
Husky 365sp 20" bar

Maineloggerkid

Its not getting fuel. The lines were plugged, and I cleared those out, but now it won't pump the fuel back into the motor. It has an electric fuel pump on it, and I think that may be to blame.

timberfaller390

possibly. Is the leaseing company taking care of maintance or is it on you
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Maineloggerkid

They are bringing a service truck to work on. Which makes me happy, becasue at least I know they will help me out and come good on their claim.

Maineloggerkid

The feul pump is gone, so I need to run to town tommorow morning. I should be in business by lunch.

zackman1801

probably burned out trying to push fuel through the plugged lines. that could have been the problem.
Husky 365sp 20" bar

sawmilllawyer

Lot's on good advice posted above. Although you are younger and probably have a better immunitity, it is possible to develop bronchitis or walking pnemonia by ignoring symtems and continue working in adverse conditions. Don't ask me how I know this. Take care or your health it is extremely important for the long run.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

zackman1801

the worse part about being sick is that especially a cold can seriously effect your state of mind. if your not thinking about what your doing or if you are sneezing an coughing all the time it can only take  a moment of carelessness to really do some bad things. that could be the worst part getting killed because of a cold. scary stuff.
Husky 365sp 20" bar

Maineloggerkid

Ya, anything that  affects your thought track is nothing to mess with.

What happened to the skidder- THe fuel lines had a lot of crap in them. The crap made its way to the pump and once inside the pump dried it up and it seized.

rebocardo

> What is the line of " Im sick and need a break?

When I start thinking about adult diapers  :D

When I get tired enough to trip on my feet or when my arms get too sore to use proper positioning and I find myself directly behind the saw while bucking.

thecfarm

I'm not sick,don't feel good often.Usally I can handle it at work,but not at home so much.I like to share it at work. Just kidding.I'm only down for a day or two.I find I rest and I can get back up and going sooner.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Maineloggerkid

WEll, Igot the skidder runningtoday, and I was happy. Went down into the woods, hooked onto a twitch, and the cable snapped. >:(

When it rains, it POURS.

Tom

Better to get it all flushed out right away and not wait until it has you behind an 8 ball with a busy schedule.

timberfaller390

If you have enough cable left just tie a knot in the end and go with it.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Maineloggerkid

Thats the problem, is that the cable is already too short. I agree that it is better to get these things out of the way, but it is still very frustrating at times.

Thank You Sponsors!