iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to get rid of suckers growing off roots

Started by DR_Buck, September 10, 2016, 09:19:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR_Buck

How can I stop these suckers from growing off the roots of the Magnolia tree?

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

WDH

Cut the magnolia tree down and spray the stump with Tordon  :).  Could be an extreme solution, though  :) :).  You would probably get some good lumber, too  :).

:)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

bucknwfl

I am with WDH. I can't see the tree itself but I see that a lot when trees are declining. I have had some success with a 50/50 mix of krenite and water on sucker sprouts after pruning limbs. I have not tested on magnolia yet but I just started one on sycamore and crabapple in the spring.  Krenite is a bud inhibitor

Thanks

Buck
If it was easy everybody would be doing it

Dan_Shade

Loppers will cut them off if they aren't too big.   :d
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Chuck White

I'm not a Forester, but if it were in my yard, I would cut them off at ground level then mulch heavily with sawdust from my mill, but leave a little space between the mulch and the tree!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Carson-saws

Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

Kitty

Quote from: Carson-saws on September 10, 2016, 01:12:34 PM
Vinegar
Carson, I am gonna try your suggestion ...getting rid of the tree is not an option at the moment...Thanks.
Kitty
(the other half of DR_Buck)

Kitty

Quote from: WDH on September 10, 2016, 10:28:39 AM
Cut the magnolia tree down and spray the stump with Tordon  :).  Could be an extreme solution, though  :) :).  You would probably get some good lumber, too  :).

:)
WDH, cutting the tree down is not an option at the moment...it is mature, very big, loaded with "character", lots of knots, twists and turns in the branches. Some of the knots have even formed a sort of old man with a long beard face.  I love this tree, just not the suckers. :)

Carson-saws

Kitty....the mix is....2 cups apple cider vinegar....1 cup epsom salt...cut the suckers flush to the area of growth...pour mixture over fresh cut...
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

LittleJohn

...lawnmower?  Just keep mowing them off each week

Kitty

Quote from: Carson-saws on September 15, 2016, 09:18:58 AM
Kitty....the mix is....2 cups apple cider vinegar....1 cup epsom salt...cut the suckers flush to the area of growth...pour mixture over fresh cut...

Thank you Carson....I am going to do this over the weekend.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Kitty

Quote from: LittleJohn on September 15, 2016, 09:35:21 AM
...lawnmower?  Just keep mowing them off each week

Little John....that would be a good idea if there were not so many exposed roots. A little rough on the mower..... :)

Jemclimber

Quote from: Carson-saws on September 15, 2016, 09:18:58 AM

That much magnesium sulfate mixed with acetic acid will surely kill the suckers.  I would be concerned about the rest of the tree as these suckers share the same roots as the mother tree.  I think a mechanical method (mowing or cutting) is a better option. Possibly lightly covering with mulch so the roots aren't as exposed so the lawn mower can do the job.  Good luck.
lt15

Thank You Sponsors!