iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

E-Classic 2400 Leak Help

Started by VTscience, January 08, 2020, 11:54:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VTscience

Hi folks, I am new here and based on the helpful threads in here I suspect I will be a frequently checking these.

I have s CB E-classic 2400 (~6 years old) that sprung a small weeping leak in the front left of the firebox (I am sure metal corroded from inside of firebox). That corroded metal surrounding that weep is a bigger problem but the rest of the firebox is actually in excellent shape so not sure if there was a weakness there. I have been very diligent about cleaning, ashtrol, etc. One trouble is that I bought the house and boiler from the original owner which means no warranty (previous owner also took very good care of it). Aside from that I am trying to decide the best course. Right now the 2400 is off with water circulating from my propane boiler to prevent freezing.

My question is whether anyone has had any success with a temporary patch on a weeping leak? That way I can get through the cold season (end of march) without having to drain the whole thing, blow the lines, etc to have that metal replaced. I plan to fix it right with new metal but would prefer to wait until its warmer rather than have to blow the lines  and refill that that thing in the winter. Any experience with a temporary fix there that prevents shutting down entirely would be welcome. Thanks! 

VTscience

Quick update -- after talking to a dealer, I am going to drain it and have the water lines blown out so I can get it fixed properly. So the question is going to be whether to replace the metal that is corroded or try some other kind of patch that can be ground smooth to beef up the metal that is corroded. Does anyone have any experience positive or negative with these kinds of approaches? And whether those fixes last very long? Thanks!

bwstout

Ido not about your system but corroded metal is much the same, at my job we deal with it daily corrosion on metal. The key is to clean and remove all of the corrosion then you can insert new metal and put a doubbler over the area that is prone for corrosion and will give you extend life in that area. But the key is removal of the corrosion, where we can we will use a product much like the spray in bed liner to prevent the corrosion or slow it down. 
home built mill

Logging logginglogging

When mine sprung a leak, i put a sheet metal screw in it until spring.

VTscience

Thanks for the comments and insights! I drained it, blew the lines and had a welder come to patch and reinforce some of the problem spots. Did a great job. Got everything running again yesterday after a thorough clean. Happy to have the wood heat back!

hedgerow

Boy that was fast. Glad you were able to find a welder that fast and get it repaired. Hope all goes well going forward. Its never good to be without our wood heat. You may want to look into putting some treatment in your boiler water and test it once or twice a year. 

woody_88

X2 on the importance of the wood heat over any other. Having it, going without it—— never again!

Thank You Sponsors!